Ralph Wilson Stadium

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um read this column by bill simmons and then tell me the ralph sucks. it's everything football stadiums should be. It is becoming the Lambeau field of the AFC. that and arrowhead still maintain home field advantage:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story.../partone/081121

great read...I must have missed it....thanks!

From a design and also a condition standpoint, the three worst stadiums in the NFL are all in California. They are Qualcomm in San Diego, Monster Park (Candlestick) in San Francisco, and McAfee Coliseum in Oakland.

All of them have a crappy design--they are the old 70s-80's multi-purpose stadiums which were meant to accommodate football and baseball and were very much in vogue at the time. Other stadiums of this similar design (but that have since been razed) are Riverfront in Cincinnati, Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, Busch in St. Louis and Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis. Also Veterans in Philly and probably a few more. It was a popular design as I said.

These three stadiums are also considered the oldest because the only older stadiums, Soldier Field in Chicago and Lambeau in Green Bay have been renovated so extensively that they are no longer considered to be the original structure bearing the name.

I have no problem with the Ralph as stadiums go. I especially like the bathrooms at the top of the third level so you don't have to go all the way down to the mid level.

And you sure can't complain about the prices...one of the best in the league.

From a design and also a condition standpoint, the three worst stadiums in the NFL are all in California. They are Qualcomm in San Diego, Monster Park (Candlestick) in San Francisco, and McAfeeColiseum in Oakland.

Right on the money, SJ. Those stadiums are horrible places to watch football, IMO.

The Superdome sucks, as does the Metrodome.

I was just wondering for the people who have traveled to different cities to watch NFL games.... I was just wondering if anybody can name a stadium worse than the Ralph..The reason why I say that is because I keep hearing that RWS is the worst..the only one I could think of was Mcaffe Coliseum in Oakland.... Does anybody have anything else.

Jacksonville is a dump. Dolphins Stadium is not that great, neither is the Linc in Phila even though it's new I was not impressed. Tampa and Washington have nice stadiums.

Jacksonville is a dump. Dolphins Stadium is not that great, neither is the Linc in Phila even though it's new I was not impressed. Tampa and Washington have nice stadiums.

Tampa is absolutley horrible other than the fact its easy to get out of becuase its on a highway... Jacksonville is nowhere near a dump...beatiful landscaping around the stadium...escalators... the bud zone.. and actually has a part that is the closest seating to the field than any other stadium...

I was just wondering for the people who have traveled to different cities to watch NFL games.... I was just wondering if anybody can name a stadium worse than the Ralph..The reason why I say that is because I keep hearing that RWS is the worst..the only one I could think of was Mcaffe Coliseum in Oakland.... Does anybody have anything else.

You may hear its the worst....from fans of the other team. I'd probably agree with that. I've worn Bills gear to other stadiums (Oakland and the Meadowlands) that were supposed to be kinda rough, and they really weren't at all. People don't tend to fare so well at the Ralph.

I went to a game in Detroit, in their fancy new dome. Great pulled pork nachos....horrible, horrible place for a football game.

Tampa is absolutley horrible other than the fact its easy to get out of becuase its on a highway... Jacksonville is nowhere near a dump...beatiful landscaping around the stadium...escalators... the bud zone.. and actually has a part that is the closest seating to the field than any other stadium...

Landscaping? Escalators?

WTF does that have to do with watching football? I have been to both the Ralph and Jax, it isn't close...the Ralph is a much better place to watch the game. They also have fans at the Ralph.

BTW, this thread reinforces my continuing suspicion that you are simply a douchy troll with no positive interest in the Bills.

CandleDick (or whatever they call it this year out there in Boy's Town) is by far the worst stadium in the NFL. Period. Incontrovertible statement of fact. Complete, total, utter f*#king DUMP.

RWS, despite its almost 40 years, is still one of the best places to watch a football game, unless all you care about is quality of cuisine, microbrew/wine selection, and # of hot tubs and side shows. Best sight lines and closest to the field you're gonna find anywhere.

My only complaint would be the narrowness of the corridors, which would be fine if they eliminated all the pushcart beer vendors and credit card hawkers that make them nearly impassible at halftime.

Landscaping? Escalators?

WTF does that have to do with watching football? I have been to both the Ralph and Jax, it isn't close...the Ralph is a much better place to watch the game. They also have fans at the Ralph.

BTW, this thread reinforces my continuing suspicion that you are simply a douchy troll with no positive interest in the Bills.

i have a positive intrest in the bills...a positive intrest on making the team better and the stadium better and keeping them in buffalo

:rolleyes:

this is the important part :

"That brewing disenfranchisement keeps popping up at these home games. You can not hear it, if that makes sense. And not just in New England. Thirteen teams have built SOTAS (state-of-the-art stadiums) since 1999; 14 if you include Daniel Snyder's overhauling of FedEx Field in 2004. Each stadium follows a similar let's-rake-in-the-cash blueprint. The first section of seats hug the field. At the top of those sections, the club seats start. That's followed by a phalanx of premium luxury suites. More luxury suites dominate the second section. And the majority of blue-collar fans are crammed into the upper decks. Fundamentally, it's a flawed way to cultivate a home-field advantage; beyond the emotional compromises and festering resentment of the blue-collar fans, the newer stadiums don't reverberate noise the same. Look at Lambeau or Ralph Wilson Stadium -- just rows and rows of fans, one after the other, rising for something like 75 rows before you hit your first luxury box. Watching the Browns-Bills game Monday night, I found myself enjoying the fans as much as the contest itself. Now this was football!"

There is nothing wrong with the name "Ralph Wilson Stadium." As much as everyone wants Ralphie to sell the naming rights, I actually hate corporate stadium names. Some are worse than others. And even worse is when a building changes names. Coca Cola Field will always be Pilot Field to me.

PTR

Best of the Best Stadiums is University of Phoenix Stadium...I was in Glendale for an Arizona game and was blown away...However, its f-ing expensive to maintain & the fans blow chunks!

1) Seating wise The Ralph is decent

2) I understand its not gorgeous, doesn’t have escalators, palm trees, water falls, a picturesque sunset

3) The Ralph is a 30+ year football stadium...by the time Buffalo builds a new stadium...Stadiums like Tampa, Indy, Seattle, Detroit will all be outdated

4) Why the hell do you want quality restaurants-inside the stadium *like Fed Ex* when there's a football game being played!

When I go to a stadium...I go to watch a football game...not to stare at the boring retractable roof that takes 20 minutes to retract...or...how awesome their yard work is...or if they have a sushi bar...

I go to drink beer...watch the game...piss and leave-win or lose

There is nothing wrong with the name "Ralph Wilson Stadium." As much as everyone wants Ralphie to sell the naming rights, I actually hate corporate stadium names. Some are worse than others. And even worse is when a building changes names. Coca Cola Field will always be Pilot Field to me.

PTR

I don't have a big problem with not selling naming rights, even though when the economy was good, that money might have made the difference in getting one more good player on the roster.

But I think it's ridiculous for Ralph to name the stadium after himself. Has anyone ever done that before? Aren't stadiums that are named after people always named after dead people?

C'mon Promo. If he's not going to sell the naming rights, at least pay homage to the team and its fans and call it "Buffalo Bills Stadium." That would be great.

I don't have a big problem with not selling naming rights, even though when the economy was good, that money might have made the difference in getting one more good player on the roster.

But I think it's ridiculous for Ralph to name the stadium after himself. Has anyone ever done that before? Aren't stadiums that are named after people always named after dead people?

Well, no, actually not...

Rogers Centre

C'mon Promo. If he's not going to sell the naming rights, at least pay homage to the team and its fans and call it "Buffalo Bills Stadium." That would be great.

Well, no, actually not...

Rogers Centre

You know Senator, I can always count on you to sharpshoot an argument, missing the main point.

But as long as we're sharpshooting, the Rogers Centre is named as such because it is owned by Rogers Communications. As such one would conclude that this constitutes corporate naming rights, not some millionaire tooting his own horn. If it was named after Ted Rogers, don't you think he might have named it the Ted Rogers Centre? In contrast Ralph owns the naming rights and nothing else as far as our stadium is concerned. How classy of him to put his own full name there.

Secondly as you like to (attempt) to nail me on technicalities, I will have to nail you on one as well. If you continue your silly argument that the Rogers Centre is named after a living person I will have you know that Ted Rogers died on December 3, 2008.

FWIW I'm sure there are buildings named after living people. But that misses the point of my original post. And based on our recent history Senator, it is clear what your intentions are.

But I think it's ridiculous for Ralph to name the stadium after himself.

I think it's ridiculous that people still make false accusations. Naming the stadium after Ralph was not his idea...it was the idea of the NYS Governor and the Erie County Commissioner at the time. It actually was called Buffalo Bills Stadium for a while after the deal with Rich Products expired

And it's also ridiculous to insult our stadium by calling it the worst when it's far from it. The only thing I'd change at all about it is upgrade the bathrooms