I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Am I the only one who thinks he's not as bad as was a few years ago. I hated him as much as people on this thread still seem to....I swore I would punch if I met him ..I used to want to call Satellite Solutions and tell them there is no way I would ever buy anything from them with him endorsing them, and doing it in such an arrogant way.

To me, it used to be unjustified and non-stop Bills bashing. I think it was personal towards Donahoe, from comments here and elsewhere. And, it seems that since TD is gone, the talk has been pretty fair. The Bills get bashed on what I would seem to want to bash them on, and for the most part they get credit when it's deserved.

The Donahoe thing WAS personal ... from his side, anyway. I know I've written about it here before, but following the Losman/Vincent training camp incident in 2004, TD made it almost impossible for anyone on GR -- even Simon, who didn't sign on over there until three months after it happened -- to get Bills players/coaches on the air. (I believe Ruben Brown still had a show, but I'm pretty sure those were paid appearances. Andy R. can correct me on that if I'm wrong.) I could understand his grievance against those specific hosts, but freezing out Simon, who's covered the team since the Super Bowl era, is one of the nicest guys in the business, and had absolutely nothing to do with the incident in question? Petty, a word which could also be applied to some of his dealings with the print media. Should the GR guys have ramped up their criticism in return? Yeah, maybe not, but there was plenty of blame to go around on that deal.

Here's Chuck Pollock's take on the TD/WGR situation:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...057-archive.txt

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BULLCRAP !!....there is deception/spin going on by Mr Andy Roth. I know what i heard.

me too and I couldn't agree more with the sentiment you expressed.

#1- "he could care less about the Bills"

#2- "he could care less if they win or lose"

#3- "this was just a job for him and he is paid to talk about them"

Exactly. They can play semantics games all they want, but there is little doubt that your 1-3 here is exactly the meaning, WITHIN(as opposed to "out of") context. I honestly don't think many people understand the concept of something being "out of context". It appears they think it means "backpedal my sorry ass out of saying something retarded, the minute I realize other people are calling me a retard for saying it".

He CLEARLY made the following points. Now, they may not be verbatum, but they are damn close.

#1- "he could care less about the Bills"

#2- "he could care less if they win or lose"

#3- "this was just a job for him and he is paid to talk about them"

I don't know what tone of voice he was using at the time; obviously, it was enough to not sit well with either you or the original poster. Just sayin' ... any beat writer in the country should agree with all three of those points, if s/he wants to be able to cover the team objectively. Is the dividing line different for hometown radio sportstalkers than journalists? Yeah, maybe. On the other hand, I would expect a sportstalk station in an NFL town -- much less one without MLB or NBA teams, and whose NHL club is already on the golf course -- to spend at least a little time on the local team's draft the first day after it ends, without one of the hosts apparently feeling the need to express his overall apathy/disillusionment/what have you.

Again, though, I'll reserve judgment, simply because I didn't hear the segment in question.

When Schoop left Rochester for Buffalo he pissed all over Rochester - and talked like he had finally made it big and had landed his career job.

Now he is in Buffalo and pissing all over Buffalo.

The funny thing to me is the guy that replaced him in Rochester - Brad Davies - came from Utica - went to Rochester and then landed a gig in Houston.

It must make Schoop sick that he is "stuck" in BLO and his former replacement is now making a name for himself in a top 10 market.

Haven't you heard the "Hall of Fame Rejection Committee" or those "hilarious" Greg Bauch fake play by play bits? Do these ingenious comedic machinations sound like the work of someone who isn't ready for the national stage?

Based on past experience, even though I haven't discussed this thread with Andy, I'm positive he already knows about it.

Then either he thinks that Schopp's attitude makes for good radio or he simply doesn't care.

I can't understand why anyone would listen to Mike's show anymore. He is rude to callers all the time. At times, it seems like he specifically goes out of his way to make Buffalo sports fans feel stupid for liking their teams. He openly trashes the leagues that he is paid to cover. He makes controversial, one-sided remarks specifically aimed at provoking listeners' ire. He generally acts as though he's better than his listeners.

I can't believe he's still on the air, but hey, that's not the station's fault. It's ours. Stop listening, and he'll go away.

That's what I did.

... I always am trying to work with our hosts to put the best show possible on the air.

... and we'll continue to put the best sports talk programming on the air.

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR- Sports Radio 550

Andy Roth, expecting us to believe your above statements is insulting to our intelligence. Not that you care.

Since there is no excuse for Schopp being rude to callers year after year and you allowing it, your above statements are not surprising though.

Don't blame anything else on declining afternoon listenership except the lead host's behavior.

He is. I have no problem confirming that.

So that's part of Sullivan's schtick? Kind of sad....

As for Schopp, I just don't think that he knows much about sports in general. Kind of troubling, seeing as how he's one of the hosts on a Sports Talk Radio station.

So that's part of Sullivan's schtick? Kind of sad....

As for Schopp, I just don't think that he knows much about sports in general. Kind of troubling, seeing as how he's one of the hosts on a Sports Talk Radio station.

I'm not so sure I agree with Lori on this one.

That may be her experience meeting with Sullivan, but it sure hasn't been mine.

I've sat next to him on several occasions in the Bills' press box on game day (back when I worked for the AP)...you may be shocked to hear this, but he was miserable the entire game...every time. Just the picture of a guy that didn't want to be there, and couldn't tell enough people how much he didn't want to be there. After every play there'd be a snide comment or a disdainful sigh. It made my game-covering experience less enjoyable.

Just thought I'd share.

I have to say as a WGR listener for many years, that while I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that is said on the air, there show is very entertaining and keeps me listening, and in radio or any other media outlet, in the end, that's what it is all about, people listen.

I just sent an email to:

info@satellitesolutions.com

...but it came back undelivered.

So I called them 3x ..none of the calls went through. I'll try later.

I don't listen anymore, but for someone who does, if you post the advertisers I'll send some emails or call them.

Change can happen if people want it bad enough to do something about it.

Update:

I called Satellite Solutions toll free number 888.856.2257 and left them a voicemail message advising them the email address on their website didn't work..

http://www.satellitesolutionsofwny.com/

I also said that due to how their spokesman Mike Schopp treats listeners/callers I no longer listen to WGR.

I advised them of this thread and left my name and ph#.

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

I'll add him to the "people I want to punch in the face" list, right next to Jauron and Regeir (SP?) :thumbsup::huh:

Don't change a damn thing, do you really want the Coach back on the air? Or Bob Gaughn? Jim Brinson? Please No! Why not bring back Art Wander?

What was wrong with jimmie B? I kinda liked him. Same with Gaughn. At least he talked about gambling on fridays during the college football season. I won alot of money going against his picks of the week.

Update:

I called Satellite Solutions toll free number 888.856.2257 and left them a voicemail message advising them the email address on their website didn't work..

http://www.satellitesolutionsofwny.com/

I also said that due to how their spokesman Mike Schopp treats listeners/callers I no longer listen to WGR.

I advised them of this thread and left my name and ph#.

Great job, I'm going to do the same. I'm going to listen to the show ( :thumbsup: ) either today or Friday to get a list of the ads. I'll post them here. I'm just going to draft one email, and send it out to each place.

I'm not so sure I agree with Lori on this one.

That may be her experience meeting with Sullivan, but it sure hasn't been mine.

I've sat next to him on several occasions in the Bills' press box on game day (back when I worked for the AP)...you may be shocked to hear this, but he was miserable the entire game...every time. Just the picture of a guy that didn't want to be there, and couldn't tell enough people how much he didn't want to be there. After every play there'd be a snide comment or a disdainful sigh. It made my game-covering experience less enjoyable.

Just thought I'd share.

You missed the "away from his job" qualifier in the post I was responding to?

(This is going to sound like shameless name-dropping. Apologies in advance.)

Just saw him a week ago yesterday at a sportswriting symposium -- chatted for a few minutes before lunch, then sat right behind him for an hour and a half during the keynote speech/panel discussion, and the guy was fine the whole time.

Funny thing, though: while we're standing there talking, waiting for lunch to start, Mark Kriegel (the guest speaker) comes over, points to Jerry, and says to me, "Let me tell you about this guy: miserable. Just miserable."

And then they both laughed, and I found out they were old friends from when they worked in NYC ...

Then either he thinks that Schopp's attitude makes for good radio or he simply doesn't care.

I can't understand why anyone would listen to Mike's show anymore. He is rude to callers all the time. At times, it seems like he specifically goes out of his way to make Buffalo sports fans feel stupid for liking their teams. He openly trashes the leagues that he is paid to cover. He makes controversial, one-sided remarks specifically aimed at provoking listeners' ire. He generally acts as though he's better than his listeners.

I can't believe he's still on the air, but hey, that's not the station's fault. It's ours. Stop listening, and he'll go away.

That's what I did.

Well said..... look i dont want the guy to lose his job. But you hit the nail on the head here, it seems Schoop (and his intellectual reasoning) its like he's tryin to be a very poor man's Bob costa or Al Micheals from his point of view (he's no where in there class). When he was on NSA he usually would take the high road,and i really liked that about him but since then, its like a personal vendetta at times and against callers. Also when they seem to hit the dog days of the business why dont they have more interviews from national experts to balance things out and inform the listeners ie. Jim Rome?

You guys who are going through all this trouble of calling sponsors, etc. - it seems the timing is really off here............From what I can tell, what he said is something he's said a hundred times before.........And, I still say that he was way more of a Bills basher a few years ago (and Lori documents that the Donahoe thing was personal) - he would bash 100% of the time..........Now, he seems to call them pretty fairly.

Well said..... look i dont want the guy to lose his job. But you hit the nail on the head here, it seems Schoop (and his intellectual reasoning) its like he's tryin to be a very poor man's Bob costa or Al Micheals from his point of view (he's no where in there class). When he was on NSA he usually would take the high road,and i really liked that about him but since then, its like a personal vendetta at times and against callers. Also when they seem to hit the dog days of the business why dont they have more interviews from national experts to balance things out and inform the listeners ie. Jim Rome?

Oddly, I used to hate Schoop and love Rome and now it's not exactly the opposite, but more in that direction.........Rome used to have great callers, and always made me laugh.......Then, he got onto this sound bit craze, and it just brought the show down. I never hear any of the funny callers, anymore. I do think in the last few months he's slowed down on these sound bits (boom, out of here, etc.) and it's made it a little more listenable again...........But, I'm still more apt to switch to Dennis Miller