50th Anniversay Team

While all the selections are great ballplayers, it is strange they allowed 4 guards on the OL and ignored anyone who played tackle. (????)

It is also strange they allowed only one RB - I know they said they were going with a 3 WR offense, but sometimes - at least half the time we run a 2-back offense - so their s/b 2 RBs on the team. Or a fullback - Gilchrist gets my vote.

I also question the LBs - 3 of the 4 are from the SB era - Buscuit - Talley - Conlon. Really? No Spielman, Jacobs, or anyone else I cannot recall here?

All these oddities, but they select a ST player - Tasker?

I don't know who set the guidelines for this team, but I would put my money on the 25th Anniversay team vs the 50th Anniversay Team any day. Bruce (25th Anniv Team) would blow past any of the guards playing tackle and Kelly (50th Anniv Team) wouldn't make it through the 1st Qtr!!!

They went with 1 RB because they didn't want to deal with OJ being selected to the team. IMO, that cheapens the whole ordeal. OJ, the football player, was probably the greatest Bill ever. He was a guy that redefined what an NFL Running Back should be.

Now, OJ the felon is another matter entirely. For what it's worth I think these sort of things should just look at playing careers and not off-the-field behavior.

Obviously the voting was slanted to the 90s teams - maybe younger voters who don't know anyone from the 60s thru the 80s.

Major surprises to me, all from the Super Bowl teams:

Conlan

Odomes

Lofton

Henry Jones

Ruben Brown's inclusion also surprised me.

For the record, I voted for Jim Haslett, Bob James, Golden Wheels Dubenion, Tony Greene, and Reggie McKenzie in the place of those 5. I too had 4 guards and no tackles.

Obviously the voting was slanted to the 90s teams - maybe younger voters who don't know anyone from the 60s thru the 80s.

Major surprises to me, all from the Super Bowl teams:

Conlan

Odomes

Lofton

Henry Jones

Ruben Brown's inclusion also surprised me.

For the record, I voted for Jim Haslett, Bob James, Golden Wheels Dubenion, Tony Greene, and Reggie McKenzie in the place of those 5. I too had 4 guards and no tackles.

Totally agree with your thoughts.

I was bored weeks ago.....still bored really :rolleyes: .........but came up with 3 teams

Bills Golden Anniversary Team

First Team

Quarterback – Jim Kelly

Running Back – Thurman Thomas

Wide Receivers – Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler

Tight End – Pete Metzelaars

Offensive Line – Will Wolford, Joe DeLamielleure, Kent Hull, Billy Shaw, House Ballard

Defensive Line – Bruce Smith, Tom Sestak, Phil Hansen

Linebackers – Mike Stratton, Darryl Talley, Shane Conlan, Cornelius Bennett

Safeties – Tony Greene, George Saimes

Cornerbacks – Robert James, Butch Byrd

Kicker – Steve Christie

Punter – Brian Moorman

Special Teams – Steve Tasker

Coach – Marv Levy

Second Team

Quarterback – Joe Ferguson

Running Back – OJ Simpson

Wide Receivers – Elbert Dubenion, Bob Chandler, James Lofton

Tight End – Jay Riemersma

Offensive Line – Joe Devlin, Reggie McKenzie, Al Bemiller, Ruben Brown, Jim Ritcher

Defensive Line – Ron McDole, Freddie Smerlas, Ted Washington

Linebackers – Takeo Spikes, Harry Jacobs, Bryce Paup, London Fletcher

Safeties – Steve Freeman, Mark Kelso

Cornerbacks – Booker Edgerson, Nate Odomes

Kicker – Rian Lindell

Punter – Chris Mohr

Special Teams – Mark Pike

Coach – Lou Saban

Honorable Mention

Quarterback – Jack Kemp

Running Back – Cookie Gilchrist

Wide Receivers – Lee Evans, Frank Lewis, Peerless Price

Tight End – Reuben Gant

Offensive Line – Jason Peters, Ken Jones, Stew Barber, Dave Foley, John Fina

Defensive Line – Aaron Schobel, Jim Dunaway, Pat Williams

Linebackers – Jim Haslett, Shane Nelson, Sam Cowart, Chris Spielman

Safeties – Henry Jones, Leonard Smith

Cornerbacks – Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield

Kicker – Scott Norwood

Punter – Paul Maguire

Special Teams – Terrence McGee

Coach – Chuck Knox

While all the selections are great ballplayers, it is strange they allowed 4 guards on the OL and ignored anyone who played tackle. (????)

It is also strange they allowed only one RB - I know they said they were going with a 3 WR offense, but sometimes - at least half the time we run a 2-back offense - so their s/b 2 RBs on the team. Or a fullback - Gilchrist gets my vote.

I also question the LBs - 3 of the 4 are from the SB era - Buscuit - Talley - Conlon. Really? No Spielman, Jacobs, or anyone else I cannot recall here?

I don't know who set the guidelines for this team, but I would put my money on the 25th Anniversay team vs the 50th Anniversay Team any day. Bruce (25th Anniv Team) would blow past any of the guards playing tackle and Kelly (50th Anniv Team) wouldn't make it through the 1st Qtr!!!

I know in Spielman's case they had to have been with the Bills for 4 seasons to qualify.

I was bored weeks ago.....still bored really :rolleyes: .........but came up with 3 teams

Bills Golden Anniversary Team

First Team

Quarterback – Jim Kelly

Running Back – Thurman Thomas

Wide Receivers – Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler

Tight End – Pete Metzelaars

Offensive Line – Will Wolford, Joe DeLamielleure, Kent Hull, Billy Shaw, House Ballard

Defensive Line – Bruce Smith, Tom Sestak, Phil Hansen

Linebackers – Mike Stratton, Darryl Talley, Shane Conlan, Cornelius Bennett

Safeties – Tony Greene, George Saimes

Cornerbacks – Robert James, Butch Byrd

Kicker – Steve Christie

Punter – Brian Moorman

Special Teams – Steve Tasker

Coach – Marv Levy

Second Team

Quarterback – Joe Ferguson

Running Back – OJ Simpson

Wide Receivers – Elbert Dubenion, Bob Chandler, James Lofton

Tight End – Jay Riemersma

Offensive Line – Joe Devlin, Reggie McKenzie, Al Bemiller, Ruben Brown, Jim Ritcher

Defensive Line – Ron McDole, Freddie Smerlas, Ted Washington

Linebackers – Takeo Spikes, Harry Jacobs, Bryce Paup, London Fletcher

Safeties – Steve Freeman, Mark Kelso

Cornerbacks – Booker Edgerson, Nate Odomes

Kicker – Rian Lindell

Punter – Chris Mohr

Special Teams – Mark Pike

Coach – Lou Saban

Honorable Mention

Quarterback – Jack Kemp

Running Back – Cookie Gilchrist

Wide Receivers – Lee Evans, Frank Lewis, Peerless Price

Tight End – Reuben Gant

Offensive Line – Jason Peters, Ken Jones, Stew Barber, Dave Foley, John Fina

Defensive Line – Aaron Schobel, Jim Dunaway, Pat Williams

Linebackers – Jim Haslett, Shane Nelson, Sam Cowart, Chris Spielman

Safeties – Henry Jones, Leonard Smith

Cornerbacks – Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield

Kicker – Scott Norwood

Punter – Paul Maguire

Special Teams – Terrence McGee

Coach – Chuck Knox

Very close to mine.

... except that the 25th Anniversary Team was selected in 1984, when Bruce was still at Virginia Tech. DEs on that team were Ben Williams and Ron McDole.

--As already noted, the "strangeness" of a one-RB set disappears when one thinks about the possibility of having to announce O.J.'s name.

--They should have broken down the OL into 2 tackles/2 guard/C, but with two HOF guards and Ruben, they weren't going to do that. My five, from right to left: Wolford, DeLamielleure, Hull, Shaw, Barber, keeping together the left side of that dominant AFL line.

--Biscuit and Talley were obvious choices along with Stratton; I went with Jacobs over Haslett, and Spielman only played one full season here.

--And of COURSE they were going to include Tasker.

I figured that they went with the single-back offense and 3-4 defense because that's what the Super Bowl era teams predominantly used.

That was the excuse, especially for the defense. (I've been told the members of the committee tried to argue both decisions -- with one suggesting they dump the TE if they wanted to keep the third WR -- but the marketing dept. wasn't having any of it.) To me, it's difficult NOT to think there was an ulterior motive behind only allowing one player at a position where there were two Hall of Famers to choose between.