Drew Willy

zazie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a home with the Ravens. Undrafted is sometimes better, he got his pic of 7 teams that wanted him.

Good for Drew. He led the Bulls to one of the best upsets in Conference Championship history with the won over Ball State last year. Here's hoping he has a good NFL career at least as a dependable back up over the next 10 years, and comes back to Buffalo and UB as a good ambassador to Bulls football.

im saying it now, of the two prolific MAC QB's he'll be better tan nate davis in the NFL, even if he never takes a snap

Um, how can you be better then another rookie QB, if you "never take a snap."?? :thumbsup:

The only way this post makes sense is if Davis also never takes a snap. And even then, you can't prove that Willy was the better "no snap-taker" then Davis anyway! :P

Going to the Ravens pretty much means Willy is shooting to be a backup. He's not going to beat out Joe Flacco for the job. No mention who the other 7 teams were. (Buffalo? Doubt it.) My guess is Drew thinks he has a better shot this way. He needs to grow into the NFL and there will be much less pressure at backup. Flacco goes down for a few games and he gets to show his stuff. Then maybe he becomes a starter elsewhere. Either way good luck. I think he'll do fine.

PTR

Going to the Ravens pretty much means Willy is shooting to be a backup. He's not going to beat out Joe Flacco for the job. No mention who the other 7 teams were. (Buffalo? Doubt it.) My guess is Drew thinks he has a better shot this way. He needs to grow into the NFL and there will be much less pressure at backup. Flacco goes down for a few games and he gets to show his stuff. Then maybe he becomes a starter elsewhere. Either way good luck. I think he'll do fine.

PTR

I'm pretty sure he's far from competing for the backup. Remember they used a mid round pick on Troy Smith a couple years ago and if he wasn't injured/sick at the start of last year he probably would have started. I'd guess he has a lock on the backup spot. I think Willy's best shot is to make the practice squad or very best case scenario as a 3rd QB (unlikely IMO).

Um, how can you be better then another rookie QB, if you "never take a snap."?? :rolleyes:

The only way this post makes sense is if Davis also never takes a snap. And even then, you can't prove that Willy was the better "no snap-taker" then Davis anyway! :w00t:

I think he means Davis will absolutely suck, should HE get to take snaps and Drew does not. HEnce, Drew better by way of attrition. And, I agree

They should extend the draft for this reason. I have no idea why it's down to seven rounds. Put it back up to 10, really make Mel and Todd suffer.

:rolleyes: I guess that is one good reason to extend the draft.

Actually, though, I like it better this way. These very late picks have a better shot at making a team, and becoming something in the NFL as UDFAs, IMO. They can choose a situation that fits them better, rather than going to a team that may have picked them simply to be camp fodder, or to keep them away from a team that can use them.

I think he means Davis will absolutely suck, should HE get to take snaps and Drew does not. HEnce, Drew better by way of attrition. And, I agree

I'm not sure what happened to Davis in his last two games at Ball State and then at the combine. He just collapsed for some reason. However, as my alma mater, I'm not going to let Davis get torn apart by you guys either (even though I was ready to kill him for tanking against Buffalo and Tulsa).

If you want to root for Willy, I think that's great. I wish him luck too. However, Willy couldn't, didn't, or wasn't even close to accomplishing anything near what Davis accomplished in college. Some of you come off so jealous of Nate Davis it's not even funny.

Relax, enjoy both QB's and even Hiller from Western Michigan. But please, if you want to talk about a player coming out of school, what they've accomplished, and how good they are, Nate Davis is, by far, the most accomplished MAC QB in quite a while.

Again though, I have no idea what the hell happened to him at the end either. And I'm also not sure he can get it back together. One of the biggest mysteries ever.......I think this is a classic case of an agent ruining a young kid. After all, before the end of year and combine IMPLOSION, Davis was thought to be a late first round to second round pick. He was that good. Then, he made his decision to come out, and sucked after that.

PTR

Not to nitpick here but he will be lucky to make the practice squad let alone be a bcakup. No team he went to was going to give him a chance to start.

Some of you come off so jealous of Nate Davis it's not even funny.

Dunno about the rest of your post, but I doubt anyone here is jealous of Nate Davis...or at least anymore jealous than they are of anyone who has a chance to play in the NFL.

Dunno about the rest of your post, but I doubt anyone here is jealous of Nate Davis...or at least anymore jealous than they are of anyone who has a chance to play in the NFL.

Could've fooled me, because everytime there is a post about Willy and UB, someone ripping Nate Davis has to come up somewhere.

It's kind of the inferiority Bills, no respect, factor, that has crept in (I.E. jealousy) to the UB side. Nate Davis had one hell of a career at Ball State. He also dominated the MAC and some very good MAJOR (non-MAC) teams in his career at BSU. No other recent QB in the MAC can even come close to saying the same.

I hope Nate recovers, or it's truly a travesty what happened to him. I also hope all of the other MAC players do well in the NFL. The MAC seemed to have a pretty good year this year in getting players drafted.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what happened to Davis in his last two games at Ball State and then at the combine. He just collapsed for some reason. However, as my alma mater, I'm not going to let Davis get torn apart by you guys either (even though I was ready to kill him for tanking against Buffalo and Tulsa).

If you want to root for Willy, I think that's great. I wish him luck too. However, Willy couldn't, didn't, or wasn't even close to accomplishing anything near what Davis accomplished in college. Some of you come off so jealous of Nate Davis it's not even funny.

Relax, enjoy both QB's and even Hiller from Western Michigan. But please, if you want to talk about a player coming out of school, what they've accomplished, and how good they are, Nate Davis is, by far, the most accomplished MAC QB in quite a while.

Again though, I have no idea what the hell happened to him at the end either. And I'm also not sure he can get it back together. One of the biggest mysteries ever.......I think this is a classic case of an agent ruining a young kid. After all, before the end of year and combine IMPLOSION, Davis was thought to be a late first round to second round pick. He was that good. Then, he made his decision to come out, and sucked after that.

the pressure got to him, that was probably one of the greatest moments in sports History for UB they beat a top 25 team and won the MAC Championship

Could've fooled me, because everytime there is a post about Willy and UB, someone ripping Nate Davis has to come up somewhere.

And, you assume that is due to "jealousy"?

Good luck to all the MAC players.. i'm ticked off with the NFL site for completely ignoring the MAC as a conference.. anyone know how many MAC players ended up getting drafted?

I don't want to get into the Nate Davis vs. Drew Willy argument, they both did what they had to, and when it mattered the most in the title game, one did what it took to win, while the other did what it took to throw an excellent season away.. as all of us Bills & Sabres fans know by now, the title at the end is what it's all about..

Go UB Bulls!!

About the Nate Davis point:

This is not something to poke fun at but he has a learning disability. This made it hard for him to learn a college playbook and I can only imagine it will be just as hard to learn a pro playbook. Will he be able to play to the level of the NFL now that talent all around him (both side of the ball) has gone up? I hope for his sake that he can, but somehow I doubt he will. He has also shown some serious bad judgement calls. The guy said he was going to stick around for his senior year and then once Brady Hoke left (for San Diego State) he bounced too. He then skipped Ball State's pro day to hold his own. The only team that came to the Nate Davis Pro Day was the Colts, who happen to be in the same state.

While Davis may have a better arm and athleticism I think Willy has more intelligence (fair or unfair) when it comes to football. Drew has shown better decision making at the tailend of his career and that is why he has a MAC title and Davis does not. It also helped that in that game UB's defense finally decided to show up. I also feel that Ball State going 12-0 in the regular season is why some people think so highly on Davis. While that is certainly an impressive feat they only beat three teams with winning records. Only Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and Navy finished .500 or better. None of their opponent were ranked.

In the end it doesn't matter much, both guys are going to be going to a training camp, one was drafted and one was not. Sure we are all jealous of Nate Davis, just like we are jealous of Drew Willy, they are getting a chance to play pro football. I hope both guys do very well at the pro level, except when they play the Bills or Giants.