Skooby's Buffalo Bills draft grades

SKOOBY

1. Aaron Maybin DE/OLB - Is he really just going to go in on obvious pass plays and think that our opponents won't make adjustments knowing we're expecting a pass?? This kid needs to be ready to run a QB down on 1st or 3rd down.

Grade: B-

2. Eric Wood OG/C - Seems like a mean MF that can't get his jolley's inflicting pain on the street, so he plays football instead. I personally like people that have a violent streak playing for our team, it builds character and forces your opponent's to really think oh no not this F-guy again.

Grade: A

3. Jairus Byrd CB/S - I actually heard a ringing endorsement from a complete stranger watching the draft that I ran into while at the hockey game last night. The AFC east is going to be a competitive offensive zone and this kid maybe able to directly punish people, he can do it (and has).

Grade: B+

4. Andy Levitre OG/C - I think he gives us depth and has a good chance of being a starter, maybe a mild reach at this point but i'm glad to have him aboard.

5. Shawn Nelson TE - Huge 6' 5" target that can catch a ball but can he run a NFL route?? Personally, we added a offensive weapon and "stole" this pick. 3rd ranked TE in the draft but he might end up better than all of them if we actually decide that a TE can catch a pass (something we've been missing for many years). He has an ability to make plays down the seam and create mismatches all over the field.

6. Nic Harris S/LB - Great value pick and a signal to some current players that their time is up.

7. Cary Harris CB - Great production at USC but did we need another CB?

Grade: C+

8. Ellis Langkster CB - I would of taken Willy just to have a local boy come aboard and try to use him as a 3rd string QB but we take a CB, what a suprise.

Grade: C-

Total Grade for the Bills: B - We filled alot of needs and concerns & look to have turned a corner on our lines. Go Bills.

1. Aaron Maybin DE/OLB - Is he really just going to go in on obvious pass plays and think that our opponents won't make adjustments knowing we're expecting a pass?? This kid needs to be ready to run a QB down on 1st or 3rd down.

2. Eric Wood OG/C - Seems like a mean MF that can't get his jolley's inflicting pain on the street, so he plays football instead. I personally like people that have a violent streak playing for our team, it builds character and forces your opponent's to really think oh no not this F-guy again.

3. Jairus Byrd CB/S - I actually heard a ringing endorsement from a complete stranger watching the draft that I ran into while at the hockey game last night. The AFC east is going to be a competitive offensive zone and this kid maybe able to directly punish people, he can do it (and has).

4. Andy Levitre OG/C - I think he gives us depth and has a good chance of being a starter, maybe a mild reach at this point but i'm glad to have him aboard.

5. Shawn Nelson TE - Huge 6' 5" target that can catch a ball but can he run a NFL route?? Personally, we added a offensive weapon and "stole" this pick. 3rd ranked TE in the draft but he might end up better than all of them if we actually decide that a TE can catch a pass (something we've been missing for many years). He has an ability to make plays down the seam and create mismatches all over the field.

6. Nic Harris S/LB - Great value pick and a signal to some current players that their time is up.

8. Ellis Langkster CB - I would of taken Willy just to have a local boy come aboard and try to use him as a 3rd string QB but we take a CB, what a suprise.

Total Grade for the Bills: B - We filled alot of needs and concerns & look to have turned a corner on our lines. Go Bills.

Great marks and comments Skooby! I love the TE pick the best out of this whole draft. But I am nervous about Maybin. I guess time will tell.

Maybin and Orakpo. This will be a topic of debate for years to come. I hope they got it right, personally i wanted Orakpo but it would be great to be proven wrong.

Right on target man. Over the years, the Bills never seem to take that one guy I was praying would fall to the Bills. History as shown that the Bills are not so good at picking the best option. Here's to Maybin, you better be one hell of a SOB because I know Orakpo is going to be.

I would have preferred Orakpo to Maybin as he's more of a 3-down, all around DE. The linemen picks are OK, but I wished they picked a true OT like Britten. Same with the Harris pick, I would rather have a true OLB. Didn't like all the CB picks. The Nelson pick was good value. Overall, I'd give them a B for talent, but a C for picking players that will have to change positions.

This was a foundation draft, in that they're building a foundation that may be fruitful in a couple of years. But given the schedule and division, I expect they will be competing for 3rd in the division, will once again miss the playoffs, Dick will be gone next year, and we'll have to undergo another 2-3 year rebuilding under another 2nd tier retread coach.

Maybin and Orakpo. This will be a topic of debate for years to come. I hope they got it right, personally i wanted Orakpo but it would be great to be proven wrong.

I'm with you. This draft reminded me of our '06 draft. I was hoping we'd take Leinhart and we took Whitner. At this point it appears the FO made the right choice with that pick. As our pick was approaching this year I was hoping we'd have a shot at Monroe or Orakpo. Hopefully the FO made the right call this year with Maybin. I would really have preferred Orakpo.

Right on target man. Over the years, the Bills never seem to take that one guy I was praying would fall to the Bills. History as shown that the Bills are not so good at picking the best option. Here's to Maybin, you better be one hell of a SOB because I know Orakpo is going to be.

No one, at this stage, knows how either guy is going to do in the NFL. The whole idea of "Well Maybin better end up being a great player, because Orakpo will be" is a joke. Says who? Let them play at least a few regular season games, then maybe that type of nonsense will start to become a little more realistic.

I'm with you. This draft reminded me of our '06 draft. I was hoping we'd take Leinhart and we took Whitner. At this point it appears the FO made the right choice with that pick. As our pick was approaching this year I was hoping we'd have a shot at Monroe or Orakpo. Hopefully the FO made the right call this year with Maybin. I would really have preferred Orakpo.

Leinhart? I was hoping - and most analysts were projecting - that the Bills would take Ngata. I was livid then. I tried to like Whitner, but there's no question now that OBD got that pick wrong.

low grade because it wasn't the qb your car-driving friends had suggested?

jw

I think the Bills are scared off by U Texas players. He may have been a better fit, but who can blame the Bills for feeling the way they did after the performance of Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery? You can also add Miichael Huff to that list as well.

I think the Bills are scared off by U Texas players. He may have been a better fit, but who can blame the Bills for feeling the way they did after the performance of Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery? You can also add Miichael Huff to that list as well.

There are other aspects of the kids they see that we cannot, like attitude. First impressions are so important and obviously Maybin said something that lead them to believe that he was a better choice. People get names locked in their head and think that player is better when it's not the case.

Good looking draft for us, quite possibly a deal changer if the first 5 see the field this season.

I would have preferred Orakpo to Maybin as he's more of a 3-down, all around DE. The linemen picks are OK, but I wished they picked a true OT like Britten. Same with the Harris pick, I would rather have a true OLB. Didn't like all the CB picks. The Nelson pick was good value. Overall, I'd give them a B for talent, but a C for picking players that will have to change positions.

This was a foundation draft, in that they're building a foundation that may be fruitful in a couple of years. But given the schedule and division, I expect they will be competing for 3rd in the division, will once again miss the playoffs, Dick will be gone next year, and we'll have to undergo another 2-3 year rebuilding under another 2nd tier retread coach.

that sounds about right.. unfortunately

I have no problem with not picking an OT w/ the first 4 picks. Though everyone loves to rip on Peters, the weakest part of the Bills last year was the interior of the O-Line. I think that at least drafting some depth at tackle instead of piling on DB's would have been nice. Again, it shows how Jauron is generally in his own world in terms of coaching strategy. In a sense, he is kind of nuts. But anyways, it could have been worse. Though, the Bills will be screwed if Walker gets injured.

I like your grades. You are right on target. Please do not be to harsh on Maybin, yet. What I liked hearing from the coaches and Posluszny was that this kid has a real love for football. Great heart. This will drive him to get better and better. Good work ethic. I think we got a winner in him, but only time will tell. I believe the Bills did a really good job in this years draft and set themselves up well for next year. The biggest disappointment I have so far is that the front office did not improve the coaching staff. It remains Stagnant ouch...

I can't believe it, but I agree with you, practically point for point on this draft. I hate that they passed on Orakpo and I question Maybin's potential as a pro DE. Overall grade: C