Round 4, Pick 121: SHAWN NELSON, TE, Southern Miss

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying he's the best blocking TE, he just might not be as marginal a blocker as listed on a few other sites.

From Scouts inc and ESPN:

Nelson is blessed with outstanding athleticism for a tight end. He possesses good top-end speed and has excellent length and body control when catching the football. Not to mention, Nelson has extremely soft and reliable hands. He also has vastly improved as a run-blocker.

Maybe he was weaker early in College and improved noticeably?

yeah, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez aren't known for their blocking either...how are they doing in the NFL?

I wouldn't go that far because for one TG is a great blocker,,, but he didnt start out in the nfl as a good blocker.

AG didn't even play college football, so obviously he had to become a blocker which he also did.

This pick is exciting because it gives them so many options in what to do with him.

Finally getting depth

Nelson is an understandable pick as he appears to be a steal at this point in the draft. However, I find this pck disappointing as I was hoping the Bills had actually figured out a way to lower the use of the TE in an offense which would use 3 WRs as the base offense wth Evans/TO/Parrish as the WRs and having a great competition between Reed/Hardy/Johnson to complete the line-up.

The pick of Nelson MAY indicate the braintrust is still invested in a traditional NFL O which utilizes the TE, but the problem is that it looks like it will take a couple of years at least for Nelson to develop the blocking chops necessary to be utilized often as a balanced TE. Even worse, I think Schouman is definitely a good ST player at best and that Fine though I like him as a receiver is also a couple of years away from being a balanced producer with both the receiving and blocking chops necessary to be considered a good back-up for Nelson.

Nelson looks like a good player but I do not see how the Bills make it work with his developing skills to create a good O.

Nelson is an understandable pick as he appears to be a steal at this point in the draft. However, I find this pck disappointing as I was hoping the Bills had actually figured out a way to lower the use of the TE in an offense which would use 3 WRs as the base offense wth Evans/TO/Parrish as the WRs and having a great competition between Reed/Hardy/Johnson to complete the line-up.

The pick of Nelson MAY indicate the braintrust is still invested in a traditional NFL O which utilizes the TE, but the problem is that it looks like it will take a couple of years at least for Nelson to develop the blocking chops necessary to be utilized often as a balanced TE. Even worse, I think Schouman is definitely a good ST player at best and that Fine though I like him as a receiver is also a couple of years away from being a balanced producer with both the receiving and blocking chops necessary to be considered a good back-up for Nelson.

Nelson looks like a good player but I do not see how the Bills make it work with his developing skills to create a good O.

All I see are solid options that the Bills really didn't have before, even if it does take a bit for Nelson to gain some weight, his speed will help spread the field and teams will have to cover him just as much of our WR's.

I completely agree...and that saddens me.

If they pick OLB or OT in the next round, I may have to go and check to see if Ralph truly is still in charge.

Something has changed in that War Room...That much I guarantee...Simon refered to it already in the thread he started...There is a change in philosopy...I don't think there is any question about it...And I like it...I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't go that far because for one TG is a great blocker,,, but he didnt start out in the nfl as a good blocker.

AG didn't even play college football, so obviously he had to become a blocker which he also did.

This pick is exciting because it gives them so many options in what to do with him.

Finally getting depth

Yeah I think he is a good pick but likely for the 2011 season. In the future is now NFL, my sense is we would do better investing in a 3 WR set as our base O. A team does have to muscle up in short yardage at times, but I think we are better filling the TE gap with H-backs types dedicated to being good blockers in obvious run situations. I simply do not see Nelson as developing into a good enough balanced player (as TG did) for several years. The bigger problem is that in the interim if we are going to go with a traditional TE approach Nelson even today with his needing a couple more years seems ahead of both Schouman and Fine as TEs.

In no particular order.

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

Ryan Nece LB

Dontarrious Thomas LB

Jamie Winborn LB

Freddy Keiaho LB

Paris Lenon LB

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

Thanks.

4.52 40 yard dash

6'5

and

GREAT PRODUCTION

This guy is a very good pick. I don't expect him to be our starting TE in his first year, but I do see Buffalo using him in 2 Tight End and situational pass plays.

I like the move a lot!!

:thumbsup:

really excited for this guy, he's just what we need. He'll open things up even more for TO and Evans. What do we know about Leroy Hill from Seattle? He seems like the guy to finish all this up, we should be on the phone and getting him to town tommorrow.

Ingram would have been better

Ingram can make the catches and is a great athlete

if Ingram is still there, grab him too! more weapons means more for defenses to worry about! If he's already gone, my bad, been mowing the lawn :thumbsup:

4.52 40 yard dash

6'5

and

GREAT PRODUCTION

This guy is a very good pick. I don't expect him to be our starting TE in his first year, but I do see Buffalo using him in 2 Tight End and situational pass plays.

I like the move a lot!!

:thumbsup:

As Michelle Tanner once said, "You got it dood".