Seahawks remove franchise tag from LB Leroy Hill

VOR

I just read that, in light of the Aaron Curry selection, the Seahawks removed the franchise tag from Hill, rendering him an unrestricted free agent.

Who votes that Buffalo goes after him?

Stats here

I dunno, this guy can't seem to play a full 16 game season...

But he did have a lot of tackes.

Edit: Hmmm. Arrested for dope?

He also had some recent trouble with the law if I'm not mistaken didn't he?

wait which Bill are we talking about?....Leroy Hill.....possibly, Im sure there will be other teams interested, so if he is affordable, why not?

wow..I think I'd have to sue them or something for doing that..I mean common...you don't let me try to sign with anybody by tagging me and guaranteeing me top $ then after all the teams have signed who they want, or at least the big $ guys are gone , you dump my tag and I'm standing here with my pecker in my hand now

Hmmmm, 26-year-old pro bowl LB? Probably in the neighborhood of $5-$6M per year.

He turned down a 6 year, $36 million offer to stay in Seattle (and the rumor is that negotations still aren't entirely dead), so I'm guessing that he might be well out of the Bills' range. Then again, the climate for free agent negotiations might change this late in free agency, with teams focused on the drafting and signing of their draft classes, and a smaller dowry of disposable cap-cash to draw from; perhaps the Bills could make a competitive bid.

All the same, on paper, it looks like a suitable answer to a sizeable question-mark in our front seven, one that's unlikely to be sufficiently addressed this late in the draft (at least with a non-developmental prospect). The front office seems to have their collective dander up over draft weekend, so perhaps they make a non-standard move and throw out an offer. Inking a deal like this would certainly free them up considerably on Day Two, and rapidly accelerate their make-over of last year's defense.

EDIT: This all changes, of course, if he is facing a suspension.

Can they do that? That's the first I've ever heard of a team doing something of that nature. Interesting though. I'd take him over Ellison, Thomas, and Bowen any day.

The Eagles did it with Trotter a few years ago.

He was recently arrested for being passed out in his car, high, with a bag o' weed. There's no way the Bills go after a guy with such "character issues."

The guy can't seem to stay healthy he's probably looking at a suspension and one more mistake may be a full year suspension. I'm wondering if these factors led to them removing the franchise tag on him. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, for what he wants, and since he's treading on thin ice with the league, I hope Buffalo passes. JMO