Byrd confirms he is a Safety on WGR interview

Fingon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting take on him predicts that he'll replace the non-playmaking Simpson at FS.

Jairus Byrd CB/S Oregon

STRENGTHS

Jairus is a very smart CB. He has good size, is very quick and shows an excellent burst to the ball. He looks to be a great zone coverage CB with the intelligence, quickness and athletic abilities to be a solid man-to-man cover CB. He is a strong tackler and could be moved very easily to impact at the free safety position. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field. Jairus is an excellent red zone cover CB because of his quickness, burst, size and hands to make the interception.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Jairus is smart and plays with a big cushion to keep the play in front of him. I don't think he can cover those quick and fast WR's in the NFL if they get behind him. That's why I'm thinking he could be an excellent cover free safety or your #2 CB, but I'm not convinced he is a #1 CB who can cover any size or style WR.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2

Jairus might be a perfect fit as a free safety. He is a ball hawk and loves the play in front of him. He has excellent instincts and is very smart. I think that because of his intelligence, Jairus could play mind games with a lot of QB's at the next level and have a whole lot of fun. He is a solid tackler and I just bet that if he was moved to safety, he would impact and get more interceptions than if he stays at the CB position. Don't get me wrong -- he is a good CB; however, it looks like (from the way he plays for his college team) that he needs to be in a zone coverage defense to impact. I love this kid's potential to impact in the red zone. The truth is that I like Jairus better as a CB/S than I like the kid from Ohio St because Jairus is a better tackler in the open field. In my opinion, both players' cover skills are about the same, but Jairus beats Malcolm Jenkins out in my mind because he is a better tackler in the open field. Grade: 2nd round

It makes me hate the pick slightly less. It's just tough to be happy when there were very good O/D Linemen still there for the taking.

3 seasons from now this could be a great pick - we really need a physical presence in the middle. Really haven't had it since Leonard Smith left (Lawyer could have been that guy but really wasn't).

In the greater scheme, I don't think that S was a great a need say as Tackle or TE or OLB. Right now, Ellison is still starting at WLB. Not good. The organization must really like Derrick Fine and Chris Ellis to make this kind of decision.

In the greater scheme, I don't think that S was a great a need say as Tackle or TE or OLB. Right now, Ellison is still starting at WLB. Not good. The organization must really like Derrick Fine and Chris Ellis to make this kind of decision.

In all fairness, there was only one C out there worthy of a pick this high, and we seem to be okay their now. Other than him, Everette Brown was there, but maybe there is a reason he was still there. We just got Maybin and Safety is a position that has become a concern. We don't have a ballhawk and this appears to be this kids speciality