Round 1, Pick 28: ERIC WOOD, C, Louisville

I just heard on ESPN radio a buffalo official, not sure if Modrak but says they will convert wood to Guard and play our free agent pickup from Carolina at Center. I would have kept Wood at his natural position where he was great but this is the Bills!!! we never seem to play poeple at their best positions.

I think he played guard in the Senior Bowl and was dominate.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham's take: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-135...play-guard.html

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Eric Wood was a center at Louisville, but the Buffalo Bills intend to insert him at guard.

The Bills knocked on Wood with the No. 28 pick they received from the Philadelphia Eagles in the Jason Peters trade. Wood was considered the second-best center in the draft behind California's Alex Mack, who went No. 21 to the Cleveland Browns.

Bills coach Dick Jauron said the Bills will keep free-agent acquisition Geoff Hangartner, who also can play both positions, at center. The Bills allowed both of last year's centers Duke Preston and Melvin Fowler to walk via free agency.

"We see Hangartner as our center," Jauron said. "Eric will come in, we'll plug him in at guard and see how that goes.

"We're very optimistic about that. We really like his play, like his demeanor, like his toughness, like his intelligence. He gives us depth at two positions at the very least.

"We were kind of holding our breath when it came close to that pick and ultimately he got there."

Look, I don't care how smart this guy is. He's not going to play center and make line calls in the NFL from the start. You put him at guard until he learns the system and NFL defenses, then you move him to center. How quickly that happens depends on how smart he really is.

Not a sexy move, but probably a good move as it does fill a hole.

Not sexy? Like hell. The Bills are right now one major acquisition away from being able to say their FO did a fantastic job this off season. And this coming from someone who was pretty much convinced that given the Bills recent draft history our season was screwed when we traded Peters. I can see the Bills trying to acquire a veteran talent at DE or OLB, and they still have the leverage and capacity to do so. Could turn out to be a very fruitful off season after all. Thanks Bills FO for 1st and 2nd round OL picks.

Look, I don't care how smart this guy is. He's not going to play center and make line calls in the NFL from the start. You put him at guard until he learns the system and NFL defenses, then you move him to center. How quickly that happens depends on how smart he really is.

Huh??????

Jauron was just on Sirius NFL and says Wood will be the left guard to start, but they have the flexibility to play Hangartner and Wood at guard OR center so the pick creates instant depth.

Depth is on the bench, Both of these guys will be starting.

An excerpt from Peter Kings MMQB column this AM:

• New England. I was told last night the Patriots loved Eric Wood, the Louisville center who projected to center or guard in the NFL.

not sure if Bellicheat was just saying that to mess with our heads now that we have him..

if it's true though, sure makes me feel about 1% better about our FO recognizing the talent the way the Pats* do

This quote from Buffalo News (from Woods college coach) is awesome. Reminds me of another Kent Hull hopefully,

Eric was the leader of our team the last two years," he said. "You don't often see that with an offensive lineman. It's usually a skill position player, maybe a linebacker. But Eric's been the leader of this team the last two years.

Wood and Kragthrope