I am backpacking Europe in Feb

Pete

I have 3 different friends that have backpacked Europe recently- all of them had problems in Germany- 2 of them were spit on for being American. None of them voted for Bush. When hostile Germans gave them crap they would say "I didnt vote for him". I voted for Bush and if asked will speak the truth. Should be interesting. Has anyone been to Europe recently? If so how were you treated? BTW if anyone spits on me I will beat the everliving stevestojan out of them. I bench 315, bike 30 miles a day and boxed for 2 years

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Well I didn't have a problem in Germany while I was there for almost a week... in fact, telling them that the country is divided and that I didn't vote for Bush is a big plus. Being an American is all about having to educate others on what the REAL story is. There will ALWAYS be i*gnorant people in all places...I can imagine there are a lot of scarf-wearing Arabs in America who get the SAME treatment!

I was in Paris for a week last Month. Had a great time. Were treated respectfully by everyone. We didn't get a politcal comment from anyone.

Germany on the other hand is a different world all together (never been there, know people that live there). They are an ANGRY country, so peoples experiences already posted do not surpise me.

My wife is from the Netherlands. We go there to visit family a couple times a year. I have never had a problem.

In general, the Europeans (and other people around the world) know a lot more about what is happening here than we do about what is happening around the world.

Europeans like to discuss what is happening in the US just as we do on this board.

I have been to Europe probably 25 times. I have never had a problem.

The type of Americans that Europeans laugh at are the ones that go to Europe (or elsewhere) and would rather go to a McDonalds (for example) than experience whatever that particular country has to offer. Their view (with which I agree) is, if you are going to spend the money and time to go to another country, why bother going to McDonalds etc.

Anyway, I am jealous. You should have a great time. When I was single and would travel in Europe, I had some very good trips to Europe . . . .

I have 3 different friends that have backpacked Europe recently- all of them had problems in Germany- 2 of them were spit on for being American.  None of them voted for Bush.  When hostile Germans gave them crap they would say "I didnt vote for him".    I voted for Bush and if asked will speak the truth.  Should be interesting.  Has anyone been to Europe recently?  If so how were you treated?  BTW if anyone spits on me I will beat the everliving stevestojan out of them.  I bench 315, bike 30 miles a day and boxed for 2 years

100790[/snapback]

Two years ago I was in Florence, Italy at what turned out to be the same weekend the Europeran Economic Social Forum had their big rally. One million people at the parade, very anti-war, there were deaths from the rioting at the same rally last year. The U.S. mid-term elections took place earlier that week (I was in Rome then, and the headline in the paper I read the next morning was "U.S. Chooses War", that was funny).

Anywhoo, back to the rally, the U.S. Consulate in Florence handed me a warning from the State Department that they were giving to tourists to not be in Florence that weekend. Hotels were boarding up their windows, riot police were on all the street corners, paramedic units were being set up all over the city.

What I'm getting at is this. I spent the whole weekend there, did the whole tourist thing with no problems whatsoever. I didn't have to "not speak", or hide, or sew a Canadian Flag on my clothes, or avoid people, or any of that crap.

There is a lot of conflicting stories being floated about when it comes to treatment of Americans in Europe. All I did was this, it's really simple. I Didn't act like a selfish prick, I didn't make a spectacle of myself and I tried to be respectful. Just like people should act every day, it's no different there than here.

There is a lot of conflicting stories being floated about when it comes to treatment of Americans in Europe.  All I did was this, it's really simple.  I Didn't act like a selfish prick, I didn't make a spectacle of myself and I tried to be respectful. Just like people should act every day, it's no different there than here.

101079[/snapback]

This is the nut of it right here. I think that the notable incidents are few and far between. I don't think most Europeans care enough about your politics to take the time and energy to spit on you or beat the stevestojan out of you. I spent a week in Munich last October, discussed politics with a few people openly and honestly, and it was a non-issue.

Of course, if you go in there with the "How much ya bench?" attitude that you displayed in your post then maybe it would be a better idea to stay home. :w00t:

Ah, I see...If WE go THERE and act like proud Americans and get harrassed and spit at or worse "we deserve what we get". But if THEY come HERE and act like proud Germans, Hindus, Muslims, French, whatever and get treated bad, we are a bunch of intolerant racists and bigots.

Makes PERFECT sense.

Ah, I see...If WE go THERE and act like proud Americans and get harrassed and spit at or worse "we deserve what we get". But if THEY come HERE and act like proud Germans, Hindus, Muslims, French, whatever and get treated bad, we are a bunch of intolerant racists and bigots.

Makes PERFECT sense.

101153[/snapback]

How do you define acting like a proud American, or a proud (insert country here)?

Makes PERFECT sense.

101153[/snapback]

And then there are those who are so entrenched in being azzholes that they probably shouldn't leave their block let alone the country.....case in point.

More hypocrisy.

Lets see....we got people saying its acceptable for people to mistreat foreign Americans who do so much as A) excercise a lot or B) Go to McDonalds. But I AM the !@#$ for challenging the double-standard that greets Americans in regards to how they treat and are treated.

How do you define acting like a proud American, or a proud (insert country here)?

I would say that going to a a resteraunt you are familiar with, excersing a lot or speaking your native language would not qualfiy to be mistreated. But others seem to not think so.

I spent LOTS of time in Europe over the last 4 years and I've found a majority of them to be very respectful and great to talk to. You'll be surprised how well they speak English and have an understanding of American politics.

Consider the reverse, if I asked people to speak German and discuss the current German political situation, we Americans would be mostly lost.

I think the biggest complaint I got from the Europeans, in any country I went to, had to be that many of them think that we, as Americans, are generally uneducated about our national history and role in the world. Argue for or against that as you will, I personally agree that some of us really need a refresher in American history.

My only advice when going to Germany is just be relaxed, and if you get to talking with some German citizens about politics or history, NEVER mention Hitler or the Nazis. You have no idea how pissed off they get.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I spent LOTS of time in Europe over the last 4 years and I've found a majority of them to be very respectful and great to talk to.  You'll be surprised how well they speak English and have an understanding of American politics. 

Consider the reverse, if I asked people to speak German and discuss the current German political situation, we Americans would be mostly lost.

I think the biggest complaint I got from the Europeans, in any country I went to, had to be that many of them think that we, as Americans, are generally uneducated about our national history and role in the world.  Argue for or against that as you will, I personally agree that some of us really need a refresher in American history. 

My only advice when going to Germany is just be relaxed, and if you get to talking with some German citizens about politics or history, NEVER mention Hitler or the Nazis.  You have no idea how pissed off they get.

101234[/snapback]

Don't go to Turkey and start talking about Kurds. OMG, you want to talk about going BALLISTIC! :w00t:

More hypocrisy.

Lets see....we got people saying its acceptable for people to mistreat foreign Americans who do so much as A) excercise a lot or B) Go to McDonalds. But I AM the !@#$ for challenging the double-standard that greets Americans in regards to how they treat and are treated.

101222[/snapback]

If you want to go to McDonalds, go the intersection nearest your house rather than the Champs Elysee.

P.S. I never said that Europeans "mistreat" Americans who go to McDonalds. They think it is funny -- as do I -- that someone would spend thousands of dollars to travel abroad but eat at a restaurant that you could eat at every day while at home.