Peter King says teams are trying to trade up for Pettigrew

Maddog69

3. I think there's only one thing of substance I find myself on the other side of the fence from godfather-of-the-draft Gil Brandt this morning: He says Josh Freeman's going in the top 10. I say he'll last until 17 or 19, at least.

That would be huge if the Bills expect an impact player like an Orakpo, Andre Smith, Crabtree, or Maclin falling into their laps. If this happens, trade down opportunities will be made available and possibly putting us in better position to select Pettigrew a couple of picks later.

Why doesn't everyone who wants Pettigrew realize that he's not going to be picked by the Bills. OL & DL are more important than TE. Best shot for a TE is a trade for Scheffler, not the pipe dream of drafting Pettigrew.

Pettigrew is a far better blocker than Scheffler. Plus, Scheffler wants a big new contract. I like Pettigrew at 11 because I think the dropoff to the rest of the TE's is greater than the dropoff from the OT and DE's we get at 11 to the ones we can get later on. None of the Tackles or DE's are worthy of the 11th pick and I doubt any of them would start immediately. Pettigrew would be a difference maker in the run game and pass game from Day 1.

We have no shot at getting him at 28. Why? Because every team in the world knows that we'd pick him if he were there, so all it takes is one team to want Pettigrew, and they know where they'd have to move ahead to get him. Right in front of us.

If we want Pettigrew, we have to trade up.

According to Peter King, teams are trying to trade up for 4 players: Pettigrew, Sanchez, Oher and Tyson Jackson. I think the Bills need to grab Pettigrew at 11 if they want him.

Link

I love Peter King. He is honestly one of my favorite sports writers.

That being said, he is one of the WORST writers when it comes to prognosticating. He is an outstanding reactionary writer.

Why doesn't everyone who wants Pettigrew realize that he's not going to be picked by the Bills. OL & DL are more important than TE. Best shot for a TE is a trade for Scheffler, not the pipe dream of drafting Pettigrew.

All depends on wether you believe in drafting best player available or strictly position of highest need. My guess is the Bills go with the later and pick up a DE or T, but I generally prefer the BPA method of drafting.

The thing I hear fans say the most about Brandon Pettigrew is their hangup about his lack of speed. The thing you hear from scouts is that it's not a problem because he has good football speed and is otherwise a total stud. I think fans undervalue him compared to scouts. Many fans want the "glorified wide receiver" type of tight end.

The thing I hear fans say the most about Tyson Jackson is their hangup about his lack of speed. The thing you hear from scouts are that he physically dominates. I think fans undervalue Jackson compared to scouts. Many fans want a "sack meister" type of defensive end...a speed rusher.

It's the difference between a sexy pick and a not sexy pick. Style versus substance. Steak versus sizzle. Pettigrew and Jackson are as close to can't miss picks as there is. A lot of the flashier players are bigger risks.

Like most of us, I don't think we'll get Pettigrew unless we take him at #11 or trade down just a few spots.

Pettigrew is a far better blocker than Scheffler. Plus, Scheffler wants a big new contract. I like Pettigrew at 11 because I think the dropoff to the rest of the TE's is greater than the dropoff from the OT and DE's we get at 11 to the ones we can get later on. None of the Tackles or DE's are worthy of the 11th pick and I doubt any of them would start immediately. Pettigrew would be a difference maker in the run game and pass game from Day 1.

What he said! :thumbsup:

How bout because nobody knows.

That would be huge if the Bills expect an impact player like an Orakpo, Andre Smith, Crabtree, or Maclin falling into their laps. If this happens, trade down opportunities will be made available and possibly putting us in better position to select Pettigrew a couple of picks later.

I hope all three QBs go in the top ten, I would love to see Pettigrew go before us, I want all four tackles off the board before Buffalo's first pick. This entire time I have been hoping for Ayers or Cushing but if all that other stuff happens, I can hope for Raji, or Curry, or Orakpo. It would make my day better.

When was the last time the Bills used thier 1st pick on a player who filed an 'importiant' need?

OL & DL have been an important need on this team for the last 15 years. Currently there is not 1 lineman on the roster that the Bills took with thier 1st pick in a draft.

When was the last time the Bills used thier 1st pick on a player who filed an 'importiant' need?

OL & DL have been an important need on this team for the last 15 years. Currently there is not 1 lineman on the roster that the Bills took with thier 1st pick in a draft.

Since Bruce in 85 the only D-lineman drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers. Since Conlan in 87 the only defensive front seven player drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers.

Since Bruce in 85 the only D-lineman drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers. Since Conlan in 87 the only defensive front seven player drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers.

I'm assuming you mean first pick, not first round?

Excellent points. Pettigrew is a second tackle with hands. He is a special player.

This guy would have a huge impact in Buffalo immediately.

I honestly feel that Curry, Raji, and Pettigrew are the only 3 prospects that are near sure things in this NFL.

:thumbsup: Good point.

The thing that keeps me thinking there is a possibility that they take Pettigrew is that every year we need a TE, and every year they wait until later in the draft and take a less hyped guy with the excuse that they favor a "complete" TE who can block as well as be used in the passing game. They went out and got Royal with that exact thing in mind. And now...they have the prototypical complete TE that they want in Pettigrew, and they dumped Royal.

Maybe I just don't expect it to happen because I would actually be happy with the move.

OL & DL have been important for years and how many of them have been picked in the first round?

we all know just bc thats whats more important doesnt mean thats what the Bills are going to pick