Peter King says teams are trying to trade up for Pettigrew

Maddog69

At this point it's quite clear Pettigrew won't be there at 28. So it all depends on who the Bills like, how their board ranks players. We have a number of needs, so no matter what happens or how the draft unfolds, we will be in position to draft guys who'll fill those needs.

While positions like LT and DE are more important than TE, let's not forget two things:

1. This Bills regime is fully committed to Trent and giving him the weapons he needs to succeed. They may be more comfortable with the O-Line guys we already have than they are with the two TEs they have.

2. The dropoff after Pettigrew is quite drastic. Whereas there are a number of good LTs and DEs.

I think it is far more likely that players the Bills like at the LT and DE positions will still be there at pick 28, whereas Pettigrew most certainly will not.

Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills grabbed Pettigrew at 11 and then waited to see which LTs and DEs fall to them at 28.

According to Peter King, teams are trying to trade up for 4 players: Pettigrew, Sanchez, Oher and Tyson Jackson. I think the Bills need to grab Pettigrew at 11 if they want him.

Link

ridiculous to take a tight end at 11--its not that important of a position--unless Kellen Winslow SR is available

According to Peter King, teams are trying to trade up for 4 players: Pettigrew, Sanchez, Oher and Tyson Jackson. I think the Bills need to grab Pettigrew at 11 if they want him.

Link

The Bills don't value TE's. All they see is another blocker at the end of the line.

Besides even if the best TE in the league played for the Bills he wouldn't get the ball with Trent Edwards flat on his back due to the Swiss cheese offensive line.

Build the team from both lines first before tinkering with the peripheral positions like TE.

OL and LB and DL with the top 3 picks.

The Bills don't value TE's. All they see is another blocker at the end of the line.

Besides even if the best TE in the league played for the Bills he wouldn't get the ball with Trent Edwards flat on his back due to the Swiss cheese offensive line.

Build the team from both lines first before tinkering with the peripheral positions like TE.

OL and LB and DL with the top 3 picks.

I agree with this. From what I understand the dude can seriously block well. I like the idea of the Bills grabbing him since he is a very well rounded TE. With that being said, they HAVE to address the lines. I like the idea of getting Brown on the Bills but I seriously don't see him falling to #28.

The one unknown right now is that there may be some moves being worked behind the scenes in regards to Parrish, Kelsay and Simpson. More draft picks and trade bait.

Since Bruce in 85 the only D-lineman drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers. Since Conlan in 87 the only defensive front seven player drafted in the first round has been Erik Flowers.

One could make the case that the Bills traded for the 2nd overall pick in the '87 draft when they obtained Bennett. We had a pretty dominant front seven for a number of years after that. You can throw Spielman in the mix as well. Front seven wasn't that big of a need during those years with the players we had at the time. We had a dominant D under Philips. Highly ranked. Stingy. When Donahoe and Williams came in and announced they didn't want "fat" guys that's when, IMO, the started screwing up by ignoring strong fronts on both sides of the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

At this point it's quite clear Pettigrew won't be there at 28. So it all depends on who the Bills like, how their board ranks players. We have a number of needs, so no matter what happens or how the draft unfolds, we will be in position to draft guys who'll fill those needs.

While positions like LT and DE are more important than TE, let's not forget two things:

1. This Bills regime is fully committed to Trent and giving him the weapons he needs to succeed. They may be more comfortable with the O-Line guys we already have than they are with the two TEs they have.

2. The dropoff after Pettigrew is quite drastic. Whereas there are a number of good LTs and DEs.

I think it is far more likely that players the Bills like at the LT and DE positions will still be there at pick 28, whereas Pettigrew most certainly will not.

Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills grabbed Pettigrew at 11 and then waited to see which LTs and DEs fall to them at 28.

Actually, this is the deepest TE draft class in years. And nothing is clear about where Pettigrew is going. Otherwise I'd agree with you 100%.

Why doesn't everyone who wants Pettigrew realize that he's not going to be picked by the Bills. OL & DL are more important than TE. Best shot for a TE is a trade for Scheffler, not the pipe dream of drafting Pettigrew.

Agree 100%.....I hope the Bills make DULL draft day picks.........

Take OL and DL with the two 1st rounder......If Max Unger and/or Alex Mack are there at the beginning of the 2nd round, give up the 3rd round to move up and get one of them,....If we get that I will deem it a fantastic draft....

One could make the case that the Bills traded for the 2nd overall pick in the '87 draft when they obtained Bennett. We had a pretty dominant front seven for a number of years after that. You can throw Spielman in the mix as well. Front seven wasn't that big of a need during those years with the players we had at the time. We had a dominant D under Philips. Highly ranked. Stingy. When Donahoe and Williams came in and announced they didn't want "fat" guys that's when, IMO, the started screwing up by ignoring strong fronts on both sides of the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

We didnt draft Spielman, but yes that is when we started ignoring it.

We didnt draft Spielman, but yes that is when we started ignoring it.

Didn't mean to imply we drafted Spielman. My point was, as I alluded with the Bennett reference, we DID have several 1st round picks manning our defensive front seven for awhile there.

GO BILLS!!!

I love Peter King. He is honestly one of my favorite sports writers.

That being said, he is one of the WORST writers when it comes to prognosticating. He is an outstanding reactionary writer.

What he said. King has a great, conversational writing style. But he can't read tea leaves to save his life. Mike Mayock is the man in that dept,

C

Didn't mean to imply we drafted Spielman. My point was, as I alluded with the Bennett reference, we DID have several 1st round picks manning our defensive front seven for awhile there.

GO BILLS!!!

I see, I am sorry have all my kids home. You would think that seeing that my kids range from my son age 2, daughter 6, son 15, and step son 21 that they would all get along but noooo. Oh well the wife will be home soon, just enough time for me to take a shower and go to work.