Russ on ESPN: We are comfortable with Walker @ LT / Bell @ RT...

SKOOBY

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I want to put my 380lb somewhat slow OT at LT and my very very athletic but somewhat strength deficient OT at RT does that really make sense?

No - it doesn't make sense - but it makes even less sense to start a very raw rookie at LT. Peters did not even start there, and like Peters, the Bills want Bell to get some experience at RT. I could see Bell being moved to LT in mid-season if he can handle it, and/or if Walker isn't panning out at LT.

Chambers was also not bad (although he may be needed at LG now), so we do have options, but I still wouldn't mind seeing a 1st round quality OT (or Mack) pick to give us more options.....

Russ brandon say's "we are comfortable with walker at LT and bell at RT" They believe they struck gold twice (peters undrafted FA/Bell 7th rounder. By the start of the 2010 season I think they believe bell is there man of the future at LT and walker will be moved back to RT.

Just a FYI.

Brandon is about as comfortable with that scenario as I am with him being the Bills GM.

I think the Bills should not draft a tackle in the first round either. Union, you hit the nail on the head. The Bills have guys already who can fill in these spots. For this next year rotate Walker and Chambers at LT. Draft best interior lineman with your 28th pick. Or second best one with your 42 pick.

Put Bell on the Peters plan. In 2010 he is your starting LT( sign him to a 5 year deal halfway thru the season, once you see he can play and before he gets voted to the probowl).

You know one thing that I have been thinking about in the past week since the Peters trade? Peters admitted that he came into the season out of shape and that it took him 4 games or so to get back into playing shape. The Bills were 4-0 in those games -- and we know how well they did afterward.

Irony? Perhaps. But I suspect that the team was doing unique things in those first few weeks (including Week 1 when Peters didn't play and Week 2 when he played part time) to help compensate for his being out-of-shape or missing. Note also that in those final two games of the regular season when Peters was out, the team had one of their best offensive games against Denver -- and led the way for Jackson to rush for well over 100 yards against the Pats in brutal weather conditions in the season finale.

I think the team needs some depth at OT certainly, but I don't know that they need to panic themselves into drafting one in the first round, if the "value" isn't there.

We counted on a guy not willing to give it his all, oops.

FWIW I believe Brandon. Our first pick we take Maybin and I'm a firm believer that we also land up with Pettigrew. I don't know if he falls to us at #28 or we're trying to trade some of our current players to be able to move up (Detroit?) to get in position to get him. I also think that we'll be taking OG Duke Robimson in the 2nd rd. These additions will make our OL work and we'll be built for the future with good young prospects.

No - it doesn't make sense - but it makes even less sense to start a very raw rookie at LT. Peters did not even start there, and like Peters, the Bills want Bell to get some experience at RT. I could see Bell being moved to LT in mid-season if he can handle it, and/or if Walker isn't panning out at LT.

Chambers was also not bad (although he may be needed at LG now), so we do have options, but I still wouldn't mind seeing a 1st round quality OT (or Mack) pick to give us more options.....

To me it might make sense to actually bring in one of the left over free agent OT's on the market just as insurance to make sure D. Bell shows enough in pre season that he wont epically fail come game 1.

I personally liked what I saw of Bell....but it doesnt hurt to cover your bets.....Taucher? (sp)

Has anyone considered that maybe Brandon knows his game and that Bell is the nest JP? If he is, then STHFU.

I hope that's the case but there may have been a nicer way to end that, for future reference.

You know one thing that I have been thinking about in the past week since the Peters trade? Peters admitted that he came into the season out of shape and that it took him 4 games or so to get back into playing shape. The Bills were 4-0 in those games -- and we know how well they did afterward.

Irony? Perhaps. But I suspect that the team was doing unique things in those first few weeks (including Week 1 when Peters didn't play and Week 2 when he played part time) to help compensate for his being out-of-shape or missing. Note also that in those final two games of the regular season when Peters was out, the team had one of their best offensive games against Denver -- and led the way for Jackson to rush for well over 100 yards against the Pats in brutal weather conditions in the season finale.

I think the team needs some depth at OT certainly, but I don't know that they need to panic themselves into drafting one in the first round, if the "value" isn't there.

I was reading something recently (can't remember where) that talked about the Bills O-line and Dockery getting cut and the Peters thing. One insight that I found interesting about why Dockery was cut is that people in the organization thought he was too nice to play the line. They compared him to Butler, who they termed as not nice. I wonder if they had the same concerns about Peters. Myabe they thought that if they were going to pay through the nose for an O-lineman, they wanted some one who had the right attitude as well. I could see the FO thinking that they need a solid interior line (which they are one minus of right now) and would be willing to let the LT positions get filled by some combo of Bell, Walker, and a new guy to groom.

Everyone here talks about the poor center play from last year - and I think it's safe to say at this point poor guard play from Dockery as well - so maybe the FO thinks they need to solidify the interior line on offense and maybe go defense with the rest of the premium picks (top 100).

well if he does pan out I suggest Bills pay him immediately...if he didn't learn anything else, he learned a good LT can F-off and then get traded and get huge $$

Didn't the Peters deal tell you how much players and agents value contracts?