2004 Draft Rewind

NY Nole

Just caught "Outside the Lines" on ESPN -- and they were taking a look back at past drafts. Today was focused on the 2004 draft. That year, they had an ESPN crew follow Roethlisberger all draft week/weekend.

The morning of the draft, Big Ben was in his hotel room with his parents and agent (Leigh Steinberg) going through the possible draft scenarios. Of course, the big news going in was Eli Manning stating that he would not play for San Diego. Steinberg told Big Ben and his parents that their best case scenario would be #4 to the Giants (should SD take Manning anyways). He said that if the Manning saga took another twist, he would go to either Pittsburgh at #11 or Buffalo at #13. It was thought that the Steelers were more interested in OT Shawn Andrews.

Well after the Manning/Rivers thing went down, the Steelers FO was still unsure about Ben and apparently ready to go in another direction (Andrews). Dan Rooney made the call to rethink the selection and we all know what happened from there.

I don't mean this post to be an anti-Trent Edwards or Bills need to draft another QB discussion, just thought this story was interesting. I would have loved to see Big Ben in Buffalo. Even back then, I thought he was going to be the best QB from that class and would be the best pick for the Bills given that he was from a cold weather climate and his physical attributes. I still remember the incredible bowl game he had that year.

BTW, Bills drafted Lee Evans with the #13 and then, sigh, traded back into the first round for JP Losman at #22. I guess we were 1 for 2. I wish there were camera crews filming the Bills draft war room and they could release the footage following the draft or the following year. It's kinda cool to see what goes on in there.

Just caught "Outside the Lines" on ESPN -- and they were taking a look back at past drafts. Today was focused on the 2004 draft. That year, they had an ESPN crew follow Roethlisberger all draft week/weekend.

The morning of the draft, Big Ben was in his hotel room with his parents and agent (Leigh Steinberg) going through the possible draft scenarios. Of course, the big news going in was Eli Manning stating that he would not play for San Diego. Steinberg told Big Ben and his parents that their best case scenario would be #4 to the Giants (should SD take Manning anyways). He said that if the Manning saga took another twist, he would go to either Pittsburgh at #11 or Buffalo at #13. It was thought that the Steelers were more interested in OT Shawn Andrews.

Well after the Manning/Rivers thing went down, the Steelers FO was still unsure about Ben and apparently ready to go in another direction (Andrews). Dan Rooney made the call to rethink the selection and we all know what happened from there.

I don't mean this post to be an anti-Trent Edwards or Bills need to draft another QB discussion, just thought this story was interesting. I would have loved to see Big Ben in Buffalo. Even back then, I thought he was going to be the best QB from that class and would be the best pick for the Bills given that he was from a cold weather climate and his physical attributes. I still remember the incredible bowl game he had that year.

BTW, Bills drafted Lee Evans with the #13 and then, sigh, traded back into the first round for JP Losman at #22. I guess we were 1 for 2. I wish there were camera crews filming the Bills draft war room and they could release the footage following the draft or the following year. It's kinda cool to see what goes on in there.

I remember they showed what went on buffalobills.com when they were looking to trade up to get JP. The thing that really sucked about JP was that it was so expensive to get him. I think the cowboys got our pick at #20 in 2005, so the first rounders were a wash, but this team coulod ahve used those 2nd and 5th round picks.

You ever see that episode of the Simpsons where they go into a pensive Homer's head to see what deep thoughts he is having only to find a circus monkey clapping two cymbals together? Thinking of a camera crew in the Bills' room made me think of that.

You ever see that episode of the Simpsons where they go into a pensive Homer's head to see what deep thoughts he is having only to find a circus monkey clapping two cymbals together? Thinking of a camera crew in the Bills' room made me think of that.

touche. Now I am picturing Modrak clapping two cymbals together. Funny stuff. Hell, I'd still watch.

I actually knew that and i thought Donahoe had a deal in place to move up but somebody turned down the deal.... not sure how right i am tho dont quote me

They thought they had a deal with Jacksonville that would have allowed them to leap ahead of Pittsburgh. You know how much Donahoe wanted to screw Pittsburgh. Jacksonville instead drafted Reggie Williams who apparently they thought wouldn't be there when they drafted.

They thought they had a deal with Jacksonville that would have allowed them to leap ahead of Pittsburgh. You know how much Donahoe wanted to screw Pittsburgh. Jacksonville instead drafted Reggie Williams who apparently they thought wouldn't be there when they drafted.

There was also a rumor that Bills had tried to deal with Houston, who didn't move off Dunta Robinson.

I believe if memory serves me right he was trying to work a deal with Pittsbugh. However Pittsburgh didnt want to do the deal because we would take Rothlisberger and then the Texans would take Daunte Robinson and those two players where the ones they here targeting