Kelsay on the market

I'd be shocked if anyone gave us anything for Kelsay and his contract.

Are you nuts? The guy is a beast. I don't think we should trade him. Kelsay is awesome! Russ, stop making stupid trades!

with all the evidence that GMs and media people read this board, maybe we should play stupid about Kelsey and his play over the past few years so that more teams are more willing to take a chance on him?

Man, there is a ton of hate for Kelsay on this board. This perception that he's a THIRD stringer is insane. He's a very, very solid backup. He is overpaid, though (although some of you have no idea how the cap works, still). I would bet that he would consider a paycut if he underperforms this season rather than be cut.

Man, there is a ton of hate for Kelsay on this board. This perception that he's a THIRD stringer is insane. He's a very, very solid backup. He is overpaid, though (although some of you have no idea how the cap works, still). I would bet that he would consider a paycut if he underperforms this season rather than be cut.

deal. tell him after practice.

Too bad he's not a decent DE.

As compared to what? Look around the league. Its filled with miserable players at that position. Kelsay's not a starter, but he's better than an awful lot of backup DEs that you'll find.

I doubt they'd get much out of him, mind you. Probably a 6th or 7th round pick, which is better than the likely alternative of cutting him to make room on the roster for a draft pick or two.

I wouldn't really call him a "backup" - he's more of a rotational guy who should get about 30 snaps a game. He's good in running situations and seems to be fairly decent at gap control stuff, but very underwhelming as a pass rusher. Every team needs guys like that, even the Bills. I won't cry if he leaves, however.

FWIW, approx. 20 minutes ago, an announcer on Sirius just said that the Bills will get a 4th for Kelsay. He also said that it would go up to a 3rd if he gets 8 or 9 sacks, but added that it won't happen.

I think a 4th for Kelsay would be a steal for the Bills.

A 4th for Kelsay would indeed be a steal. A conditional 3rd would be grand theft.

I don't see why. He's more likely to play better than any fourth rounder we draft, and his salary is immaterial because the Bills are significantly under the cap.

That's quite possibly true, but at the same time, the trade value of a fairly ordinary DE who is only a few months shy of 30 isn't going to be high.

That's quite possibly true, but at the same time, the trade value of a fairly ordinary DE who is only a few months shy of 30 isn't going to be high.

I agree, but why not keep him? He's not that bad if you view him for what he is - a vet of medium ability. The Bills need to win this year, and unloading a bunch of players who started last year isn't going to help them in that regard.

Kelsay is a solid enough run defender, and would make sense for a 3-4 team that relies on its LBs to apply the QB pressure.

I'm not convinced, regardless of what scouting reports might say that he's that solid against the run. And there's that annoying habit of losing containment on bootlegs and misdirection.

Yes there is. The type of debate which happens here often consists of a poster overstating his/her case to the point where (unbeknownst to the poster) he/she loses all credibility. Way too many black and white comments which disregard the fact that this world is full of grays.

I wouldn't really call him a "backup" - he's more of a rotational guy who should get about 30 snaps a game. He's good in running situations and seems to be fairly decent at gap control stuff, but very underwhelming as a pass rusher. Every team needs guys like that, even the Bills. I won't cry if he leaves, however.

Good point. Rotational player for sure. Not a frontline starter.

I don't see why. He's more likely to play better than any fourth rounder we draft, and his salary is immaterial because the Bills are significantly under the cap.

Not so sure Dave. To me he's such an average player I can imagine a mid-round pick stepping in and not missing a beat. JMO.