Identify this insect?

Fezmid

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first pic does look a bit like a German cockroach (in Germany, they call it a french cockroach). But those things don't fly. If that is what it is, you got a problem. Hopefully not.

Yeah, I don't think that's what these are -- since they definitely fly. In addition, they're not afraid of light. They also don't look anything like some of the pictures I've seen of them:

Mine look nothing like these:

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/urba...German_male.jpg

http://www.goldcitypestservices.com/german_cockroach.jpg

Here's a couple of better pics. The first one is the bug standing still, the second one is while he's running on the wall - same bug.

http://www.fezam.com/bug1.jpg

http://www.fezam.com/bug2.jpg

They definitely look like a type of cloths moth. Maybe a webbing cloths moth, I think they're more uniform in color than the case-making cloths moth. Either way, very similar. My primary doubt is in your initial description. You said they're about an inch long. I'm fairly certain all the cloths moths are less than half an inch - closer to about 1/4 inch in length.

Did you check your closets for signs of the larvae or webbing on the cloths? They also get into carpets and just about any kinds of fabrics. I've even heard of them getting into stuffed animals. If this is what they are, the adult moths aren't the worry, its the larvae. They're the stage that do all the eating and hence the damage.

I'm afraid for any more accurate of an ID, you'll have to send me a few. (or a high res pic) No problem, if you want. Just let PM and I'll send you my address.

I can definitely rule out cockroaches or termites, though. Body, head shape, wings, antennae are all wrong.

They definitely look like a type of cloths moth. Maybe a webbing cloths moth, I think they're more uniform in color than the case-making cloths moth. Either way, very similar. My primary doubt is in your initial description. You said they're about an inch long. I'm fairly certain all the cloths moths are less than half an inch - closer to about 1/4 inch in length.

Did you check your closets for signs of the larvae or webbing on the cloths? They also get into carpets and just about any kinds of fabrics. I've even heard of them getting into stuffed animals. If this is what they are, the adult moths aren't the worry, its the larvae. They're the stage that do all the eating and hence the damage.

I'm afraid for any more accurate of an ID, you'll have to send me a few. (or a high res pic) No problem, if you want. Just let PM and I'll send you my address.

I can definitely rule out cockroaches or termites, though. Body, head shape, wings, antennae are all wrong.

Thanks!

I apparently misjudged the size of them -- after looking closer, they're really only between 1/4" and 1/2". I guess I thought that they seemed bigger than that, but no... :ph34r:

I'll try to take a better picture -- it's really not easy to do since they stick to the ceiling and when they're on the walls, they don't generally let me get that close to them before running away. But I'll try again. :ph34r:

If that's what they are, it looks like it's going to be tough to get rid of them all -- have to wash or dryclean all of our clothes. I'll definitely take a closer look in the closet -- I've seen many of them in there, and it would make sense that they breed in there, then come out into the bathroom for water. We don't have much wool though, so I'm not sure what they'd be feeding on.

CW

Dude. You are a bug ninja!

I had a few of these flying around my house last summer. Took me a while to figure out what they were, because they were pretty fast and creepy when I would try to snap an upclose photo of them. It could be the same thing. flying bug

I had a feeling that was what it was. I was pretty damn sure that's what it was but I clicked anyway!!! :angry::devil:

PUNCH!! JACK-ASS!!