Peters Press Conference in Philly

Actually, the way I remember it Clements was coming off a down year and some/many people thought Levy was crazy to franchise Clements in the first place. You are suggesting above that the Bills never really had a chance to keep Clements by signing him to a second term contract. That right there is a problem; players do not want to stay and play in Buffalo. Secondly, you imply that renting Clements, unhappy as he was to be tagged, was a far better option than trading him (assuming he got tagged) or letting him go that first year as opposed to simply moving on with a new coach, new system, and new players. These two things don't exactly mesh unless the Bills/Levy did not see it that way at all and thought that they could strike a deal with Clements, they just needed more time. (And AFAIK, Levy did spend time the next year trying to negotiate with Clements, but Clements wanted his big pay day and out of Buffalo.)

[Edit] The trouble is the claim that the only way Clements would come to camp was if Levy offered him this guarantee that he'd be allowed to walk the next year. To be more concrete, let's say that is true and Levy did not cave in and give up his leverage. NC would, under this scenario, not report to camp and might even pull a Jason Peters and only show up until 2 days before the first game. Now, NC was coming off a down year and this holdout would not have helped him learn the new defense. His performance would, reasonably, resemble a fish out of water. Hardly a way for NC to maximize his earnings potential as he'd have two down years back to back, hypothetically. That $80M contract wouldn't have been waiting for him in SF. So, really, it was in both the Bills and NC interest that he get his rear into camp and play to the maximum of his abilities.

In my view, a team should only use the FP tag on someone if they really think that player is a franchise player and are fully prepared to offer the guy an eye-popping contract that is the best at the position. Let's face it, the FP tag creates a sense of animosity. But, it is there for the team to buy time to work out a new deal. And that deal is going to have to be better than the going rate for the player/position in order to close. Otherwise, the team will have to continue to re-use the FP tag or move on anyway.

There is just no way I can see losing Nate Clements and replacing him with Jason Webster as doing what is best or trying to put the best team on the field.

As far as not being able to tell if Clements wanted to stay or not, that's why you have a face to face between the parties and ask questions.

I think we are touching on something here that separates guys like Parcells or Belichick from other NFL front offices. They want players that want to play football, want to master their craft, and want to be there. They'll move or cut or let walk talent and/or big names, like a Jason Taylor, if they tip their hand that they are about money or whatever. Winning has a way of creating new names.

I think Clements only had a down year in 2005 in the minds of Bills fans. Outside of the Miami game, he generally played well as I recall. But you're talking about fans who blame for a loss to the Jags when he was the one guy who made a play all day (intercepting a pass inside the red zone that led to a score). Without Clements in 06, the Bills probably would have lost at least two more games (the Jets away game, the Packers game and the Houston games come most immediately to mind).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Clements only had a down year in 2005 in the minds of Bills fans. Outside of the Miami game, he generally played well as I recall. But you're talking about fans who blame for a loss to the Jags when he was the one guy who made a play all day (intercepting a pass inside the red zone that led to a score). Without Clements in 06, the Bills probably would have lost at least two more games (the Jets away game, the Packers game and the Houston games come most immediately to mind).

Actually, while I was ambiguous, I heard it from Marv Levy's own lips that he felt that Nate had had a down year in 2005. I don't really believe Levy was simply posturing to decrease Clements' value; but, that Marv, in typical Marv fashion, was telling it exactly how he saw it.

Which is a long way of saying that the Bills have not had any continuity in the front office or coaching to establish a football program that could withstand the transient nature of free agency. They had the foundation when Polian left, yet Wilson's alienation of Butler sealed the team's fate for the next decade.

But hey, it's more fun to argue whether Nate Clements would have been worth a 2nd or 4th round pick in 2006.

Yep. And many fans ate it up. Butler was a tool that ruined the team by overpaying players that kept the team in the playoffs, etc. Yet, somehow when Butler left darn near the entire scouting department walked out the door right behind him.

This is precisely why I said that there are plenty of reasons to be miffed with the franchise without resorting to inventing new things. There has been one constant with this franchise in 1/2 century, and the team fully reflects that. The positive is that the franchise has remained in WNY against all realistic odds of surviving there, but the downside is that it's offered a mediocre product more often than not.

I'm glad the team's here as well. One wonders what WNY would be like without "their" team. What I have an issue with is people who believe you must cheerlead for the team. Within reason, I'm not going to support everything, and I don't think you do either. Still like the TO move, not high on Peters and Clements.

A well-managed team can be somewhat successful without excellent players. An average managed team with excellent players will be good. But a poorly managed team with average players will be what Buffalo is: mediocre.

Donahoe's hiring was a good faith attempt to rebuild the team. It didn't work out, but the GM position was worsened by hiring people not trained in personnel. The failings of Donahoe combined with inexperienced GM's is what has this team in the situation it's in.

Fans should expect more from their team. And it starts with re-structuring the front office.

I'm glad the team's here as well. One wonders what WNY would be like without "their" team. What I have an issue with is people who believe you must cheerlead for the team. Within reason, I'm not going to support everything, and I don't think you do either. Still like the TO move, not high on Peters and Clements.

A well-managed team can be somewhat successful without excellent players. An average managed team with excellent players will be good. But a poorly managed team with average players will be what Buffalo is: mediocre.

Donahoe's hiring was a good faith attempt to rebuild the team. It didn't work out, but the GM position was worsened by hiring people not trained in personnel. The failings of Donahoe combined with inexperienced GM's is what has this team in the situation it's in.

Fans should expect more from their team. And it starts with re-structuring the front office.

Before we go further, can you please clarify on who makes the final decisions? So far, you've blamed Ralph, Marv, Brandon, and Jauron for all having the final say on poor decisions. Can you just pick 1 and stick with it in your ceaseless bashing?