Team Fan Appreciation - For the Mods also

Virgil

I had an idea the other day that left me wondering if i'm just plain naive, or if it was a solid prospect.

The Buffalo Bills, like every other major sports team, has main message boards where the majority of their fans hang out. I know that between here, Billszone, and the NFL forum, you could probably find a solid majority of the Bills fans. With that, why not have some kind of program where the forum has an ambassador who is invited into the clubhouse on media day, or even game day and is allowed to ask questions to the team and players.

For example, right now in the offseason, he have someone who is allowed to go to One Bills Drive and ask a few questions that are created here amongst the fans. Obviously it would have to be someone that is voted for, or one of the Mods even, and the questions would be collaborated during the week. As in, submit your questions Sunday through Tuesday. The top 10 are selected via forum vote on Wednesday to be asked the next day. Maybe even the person selected to go can change up, but obviously someone who will well represent the board.

On game days and the following day, the same thing could happen.

Personally, I think this is a great way for team to interact on a whole new level with the fans and allow us to feel more heard. I think, if put together right, this could actually be something.

Am I completely nuts? And Tim Graham, since you know about stuff like this, thoughts on if this has happened before?

From our point of view? Sure, that would be cool.

But from the viewpoint of the working journalists who need to get their information -- and quickly -- so they can write their stories or edit their broadcasts, not so much. I do happen to be a working sports writer (albeit at the small-town level), and I'd have a tough time arguing that I belong in the media workroom at the Ralph for a postgame press conference.

why is everyone always so hot for Tim Graham? there are about 50 people on this board that could kick his ass at his job.

Strange that ESPN hasn't offered any of them a job, then. Hey, I'll be seeing Chris LaPlaca on Tuesday. Want me to put in a good word for you?

The Buffalo Bills, like every other major sports team, has main message boards where the majority of their fans hang out. I know that between here, Billszone, and the NFL forum, you could probably find a solid majority of the Bills fans. With that, why not have some kind of program where the forum has an ambassador who is invited into the clubhouse on media day, or even game day and is allowed to ask questions to

You over estimate number of fans who go to these sites especially to post. Many sites have registered users who register there and after a short period of time not go back for a long time. The most vocal fans go on to the sites especially to post; they do not represent the majority of the fans. On all three sites you mention they do not even subtract out banned users from number of registered users.

Take a look at one of the web rating sites and you will see how few (relatively) how many fans go to boards.

I am always surprised by how many things that get posted here, get picked up by the media. Particularly on the radio, I swear that I have heard guests say things, that were posted here. Maybe some of those media people are TSW members, but I know that is not always the case. I remember, years ago, around the time Bledsoe was let go, I posted something, that I swear one of the GR guys adopted, almost word for word...I can't even remember what it was, or who it was... just surprising.

I had an idea the other day that left me wondering if i'm just plain naive, or if it was a solid prospect.

The Buffalo Bills, like every other major sports team, has main message boards where the majority of their fans hang out. I know that between here, Billszone, and the NFL forum, you could probably find a solid majority of the Bills fans. With that, why not have some kind of program where the forum has an ambassador who is invited into the clubhouse on media day, or even game day and is allowed to ask questions to the team and players.

For example, right now in the offseason, he have someone who is allowed to go to One Bills Drive and ask a few questions that are created here amongst the fans. Obviously it would have to be someone that is voted for, or one of the Mods even, and the questions would be collaborated during the week. As in, submit your questions Sunday through Tuesday. The top 10 are selected via forum vote on Wednesday to be asked the next day. Maybe even the person selected to go can change up, but obviously someone who will well represent the board.

On game days and the following day, the same thing could happen.

Personally, I think this is a great way for team to interact on a whole new level with the fans and allow us to feel more heard. I think, if put together right, this could actually be something.

Am I completely nuts? And Tim Graham, since you know about stuff like this, thoughts on if this has happened before?

Teams have different policies on things like this. The Redskins, for example, are very liberal because Dan Snyder is big on blogging.

I'm not sure what the Bills' policy is, but based on anecdotal evidence over the years, I would predict they would not be willing to try something like this (and I'm sure they would be in the majority among the 32 teams). Some newspapers have trouble getting credentials because of space considerations in the press box and the media center.

Teams have different policies on things like this. The Redskins, for example, are very liberal because Dan Snyder is big on blogging.

I'm not sure what the Bills' policy is, but based on anecdotal evidence over the years, I would predict they would not be willing to try something like this (and I'm sure they would be in the majority among the 32 teams). Some newspapers have trouble getting credentials because of space considerations in the press box and the media center.

I don't see their criteria for awarding credentials on their media page right now, but the last time I checked, they were pretty strict about giving them to "online" outlets. (Obviously, ESPN.com is a little different story than BillsFanSite.com.) I'm just glad I have that much access; some teams -- Steelers, Pats, Jags, to name a few -- restrict portions of their Web sites to credentialed media only.

Too bad the Bills never followed through on the press box relocation, eh?

Strange that ESPN hasn't offered any of them a job, then. Hey, I'll be seeing Chris LaPlaca on Tuesday. Want me to put in a good word for you?

Strange how you keep mentioning your status with the "in" club...Perhaps you consider this assylum to be your own little audition. Go for it! I'm sure when Timmy decides to throw a bone you'll eat first!

Strange how you keep mentioning your status with the "in" club...Perhaps you consider this assylum to be your own little audition. Go for it! I'm sure when Timmy decides to throw a bone you'll eat first!

Here's an idea....why don't you just go away? :rolleyes:

The Buffalo Bills, like every other major sports team, has main message boards where the majority of their fans hang out.

:rolleyes:

The vast majority of fans of the Bills (and every other team) have never even seen a message board, much less registered, much less posted.

Am I completely nuts?

Yes.

Do the math. This site has accumulated about 9200 registered users over eight years, 40% of them have never made a single post. When you factor in that many posters have registered/post on all 3 Bills board, you probably only have 10,000 unique people who have ever posted on a Bills board. Compare that to the number of fans -- 80,000 people attend each Bills game. Even if half of those are season tix holders that go to every game, that's what -- 300,000 unique fans that will go to a game in a season? Add in hundreds of thousands more watching on TV, and it's pretty clear that only a tiny % of fans hang out on these boards.