A sad situation for the Bills Nation

IMO this is a very “the glass is half empty” time for the Bills organization:

• We have not sniffed the playoffs in nine years.
  • Everyone in the league knows our coach should have been fired last year but remains because he was given an extension too early.
  • Our front office can’t select a good janitor much less scout football talent
  • Speaking of the front office they completely bungled the Jason Peters deal…time will tell if the trade offers benefits to the Bills but for now the organization seems to be cheap and bumbling.
  • Speaking of the above we continue with the history of swapping one player for another while making no progress … Johnson for Flutie … Losman for Johnson … Edwards for Losman …. Magahee for Henry … Lynch for Magahee it goes on and on. The point is the team has not learned to draft well and do FA acquisitions well.
  • The most recent glory period of the franchise is now becoming a distant memory.
  • A PR guy is running the front office – we will have to see how he spins yet another losing season as the ingredients of a winning one are not on the table.

What do you think?

I think you're right. It seems like simply making things new with a bow on top is enough to many fans. They will accept a change because it might be better than the previous thing.

Mike Florio has a piece at PFT that sums up why this deal was bungled

Florio on Peters deal

Some people are better managers than others. Andy Reid typically makes the right move. Russ Brandon, Littman, RW, whomever generally make the wrong one.

Glass half full point of view on the Peters trade: OBD flipped an undrafted dude for a first rounder and 2 extra picks...It was their way of buying low and selling high. Imagine if Peters does bad again this year and his value goes way down.

I didn't want to see him leave, but I think this should work out for all involved.

I also think the Bills should try and get more value out of their 11th pick...trade down, not up, and get into the 20's. You improve your draft chances better with the more picks you have, not how high you pick.

IMO this is a very “the glass is half empty” time for the Bills organization:

• We have not sniffed the playoffs in nine years.
  • Everyone in the league knows our coach should have been fired last year but remains because he was given an extension too early.
  • Our front office can’t select a good janitor much less scout football talent
  • Speaking of the front office they completely bungled the Jason Peters deal…time will tell if the trade offers benefits to the Bills but for now the organization seems to be cheap and bumbling.
  • Speaking of the above we continue with the history of swapping one player for another while making no progress … Johnson for Flutie … Losman for Johnson … Edwards for Losman …. Magahee for Henry … Lynch for Magahee it goes on and on. The point is the team has not learned to draft well and do FA acquisitions well.
  • The most recent glory period of the franchise is now becoming a distant memory.
  • A PR guy is running the front office – we will have to see how he spins yet another losing season as the ingredients of a winning one are not on the table.

What do you think?

The PR guy signed TO.......

I think you're right. It seems like simply making things new with a bow on top is enough to many fans. They will accept a change because it might be better than the previous thing.

Mike Florio has a piece at PFT that sums up why this deal was bungled

Florio on Peters deal

Some people are better managers than others. Andy Reid typically makes the right move. Russ Brandon, Littman, RW, whomever generally make the wrong one.

Yeah, like they did with Kearse and TO. :D

And Florio is an idiot. His premise is the Bills should have waited until draft day, so that no one leap-frogged them for the player they want. Well, does anyone know who the Bills want at #28 overall? Moreover, what if the Eagles turned their attention elsewhere and traded for Boldin or Peppers, and left the Bills with nothing?

Yeah, like they did with Kearse and TO. :D

And Florio is an idiot. His premise is the Bills should have waited until draft day, so that no one leap-frogged them for the player they want. Well, does anyone know who the Bills want at #28 overall? Moreover, what if the Eagles turned their attention elsewhere and traded for Boldin or Peppers, and left the Bills with nothing?

The proof is in the pudding:

Eagles: 7 playoff appearances, 5 NFC Title games, 1 SB in 10 seasons

Bills: 1 postseason, 0 AFC Title games, 0 SB in 10 seasons.

Every darn team in the league whiffs on select personnel moves. The Eagles do it far less, and as a result are in the post-season more often.

The Eagles wanted Peters, and this was mentioned by none other than Andy Reid himself. They remember him from scouting one of the Andrews brothers at Arkansas. Had Bills front office read the stitches on the fast ball, they'd have realized this and held off to get more for him.

Go on trying to destroy everyone who says Buffalo failed, but if you'd rather trust a team with 6 less playoff appearances than Philly's in the last decade so be it.

As a bills fan the glass is always half-full. And the PR guy you are bashing is doing everything inside and outside the box to help keep the Bills in Western NY. From signing TO to giving some games to Toronto. All of these moves have and will benefit our team and its future here in Western NY.

Every darn team in the league whiffs on select personnel moves. The Eagles do it far less, and as a result are in the post-season more often.

The Eagles wanted Peters, and this was mentioned by none other than Andy Reid himself. They remember him from scouting one of the Andrews brothers at Arkansas. Had Bills front office read the stitches on the fast ball, they'd have realized this and held off to get more for him.

Go on trying to destroy everyone who says Buffalo failed, but if you'd rather trust a team with 6 less playoff appearances than Philly's in the last decade so be it.

You are one negative dude, let me tell you. I have found you to be one of the more intelligent writers on this message board. However, you have said absolutely nothing positive about the team since the end of the season. Are you just so bitter that you can not find any hope in anything the team has done since the end of the offseason? To me that is just pathetic. I honestly believe that Brandon is trying everything in his power to turn this team around. As a fan you need to have hope. Think about it. Try and find something positive, or go root for another team. The best thing about being a fan is having hope that it will always get better. Otherwise, don't even bother. Have you ever even liked the Bills?

So on one hand, the Eagles have made bad personnel moves in the past. On the other hand, they've still made the playoffs. What does one have to do with another? Peters could play like last year and they could still make the playoffs. That doesn't mean that Peters was worth what he got or that the Bills made a bad move.

You are one negative dude, let me tell you. I have found you to be one of the more intelligent writers on this message board. However, you have said absolutely nothing positive about the team since the end of the season. Are you just so bitter that you can not find any hope in anything the team has done since the end of the offseason? To me that is just pathetic. I honestly believe that Brandon is trying everything in his power to turn this team around. As a fan you need to have hope. Think about it. Try and find something positive, or go root for another team. The best thing about being a fan is having hope that it will always get better. Otherwise, don't even bother. Have you ever even liked the Bills?

I'm an otherwise positive person. However, delusional is something I'm not. I don't demand a SB appearance, just a playoff game. But a perfect storm has converged in Bills Land.

My signature says what I think: Among all of these personnel things, there's the likely scenario of Rogers Communications taking more games and, I shudder to think about this, taking the entire team when Mr. Wilson passes. Above all else, it's these things which are on my mind. Maybe I like the Bills too much, but I can't stand to see mediocrity. At least with failure, there's some hope changes might be made. Best example there is what KC did this off-season hiring Pioli and a hotshot coordinator.

But Buffalo doesn't do that. They make cosmetic changes and spin everything. I'm not seeing things of substance happen, and in light of 9 non-playoff seasons in a row, it's not good enough.

EDIT: I loved the TO signing. One year deal for a guy who generally plays well his first season for modest money. Very good. Liked the McKelvin pick, in light of the CB situation a year ago. He has gamebreaker ability. Like Trent. Liked the Stroud trade.

Agree. Sadly for Bills fans, here is the bottom line:

1) the Donahoe era was a total failure; horrible coaching choices and botched drafts.

2) the Levy era was a failure as well; horrible free agent signings (Dockery, Royal, etc.), ridiculous long term deals to pedestrian players (Kelsay, Schobel), a poor head coaching decision, and the totally phony concept of "high character" players. End result? 0-6 against AFC East opponents last year.

3) now we are supposed to believe that a marketing whiz is just so smart that he can suddenly become one of the NFL's top football guys and make decisions that will lead the team to the playoffs. You can dream all you want, but the fact is that this franchise is in disarray.

I know, by telling the truth I become "another negative dude."

When Brandon replaces the head coach, you can then believe that he's making moves to field a winner. Until then, expectations will remain low. Very few don't realize this. Many are just afraid to embrace it. '09 is a transition year. A good draft will help the next coach.

When Brandon replaces the head coach, you can then believe that he's making moves to field a winner. Until then, expectations will remain low. Very few don't realize this. Many are just afraid to embrace it. '09 is a transition year. A good draft will help the next coach.

If this off-season demonstrates only one thing, it's that while Brandon is quasi-GM, he still does not have enough power to fire a bad HC.

When those four inner circle members joined in Detroit during late December, reports had RW, Littman, Modrak, and Brandon present. Not all wanted to retain DJ, but he was kept. IMO, Brandon didn't want him, but was overruled for financial reasons by at least RW and Littman.

Making a guy GM without the power to fire coaches is a unique. And I'd point out that negotiations with DJ were reportedly handled by RW. I don't have a link, but excluding your GM from a contract extension tells me a lot about this organization.

And so Russ has shed payroll, which doesn't take any permission from the owner, but when it came time to add salary by firing the HC he couldn't do it. This also would have made Wilson look bad by firing the coach signed two months previous