Dominic Rhodes signed for 2 years

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Ralph is just going out of his way to piss off the fan base, so he doesn't have to feel guilty about moving them to Toronto? Just a thought...

Its more than Ralph. I`d say Ralphy is a little easier to confuse or convince of things now. I`ve said this last year,that this is the plan. Screw the cannucks :D

Nothing personal against you cody, but this is the kind of crap that drives me insane around here. There are those here, who go out of their way to crap on everything the Bills do (and I will admit, I may be turning in to one of them), but for me, it is just as annoying to see Bills fans patting the Bills front office on the back, for how wisely they spent their (Mr Wilsons') money. It is like, to be a Bills fan, now, you can't expect your team to win on the field, but we have a new game, where the object is to see how little money the Bills can spend, while trying (not doing) to field a competitve NFL football team. This team has done ZERO in a decade! Being penny wise, and pound foolish, has gotten them nowhere...do you like Fred Jackson? If your answer is yes, why should you, or I, or anyone else care how much money the Bills pay him?

I was very critical of the FO last off-season. I am still critical of the way they handle the salary cap. The fact that this team had so little cap room to work with this year is unforgivable.

To often the FO seems to waste Mr. Wilson's money on guys like Kelsey.

I may jump the gun when the FO does something I like, but that is only because such occurences are rare.

Wait until you see my posts after the Bills sign a 28-year-old exclusive rights FA to a 4 year 10 mil deal

Do I like Fred Jackson? - the answer is I think Fred Jackson is a good #2. I also think Rhodes is a good #2.

The reason I care about how much $ a player makes is because there is a salary cap. Paying Jackson 2.5 mil when he has to play for $500k means that there is 2 mil not available for a guy like Kiaho. (This assumes Rohdes's base salary is near the vet minimum)

I would put Rhodes at least two notches above a beaten up Fred Taylor.

I mentioned elsewhere that Rhodes looks like the best RB option in FA this off-season, and was a much better pickup than Taylor, Jones, Buckhalter, etc. Like with TO, I think the Bills lucked-into a better player than what they appeared to be going after initially.

Never, ever, ever let your wife see this thread. :wallbash:

She knows that I really like Heidi Klum. :D

I think it shows he's used a lot on short yardage plays at the goal line or outside the red zone.

I think it's possible that his 3.5 ypc are due to his being utilized a lot on short yardage situations because they know he'll get those yards. If he is frequently used on carries where the opponent has stacked the line to stop a third and one or two or a fourth down one or two then his ypc are going to show a lot less for a very valuable player. The guys who are given the ball on plays that can be run or pass will have the better stats. I'm not saying for sure that Rhodes could pull 4.0 yards per carry if used like a starter but that his running style lends itself to shorter runs. JMO

I agree that the short-yardage situations hurt his average. But comparing him to Addai, who also had a 3.5 YPC average and who was also a 4.0+ YPC RB before last season, tells me that the Colts' O-line wasn't exactly great last year.

I mentioned elsewhere that Rhodes looks like the best RB option in FA this off-season, and was a much better pickup than Taylor, Jones, Buckhalter, etc. Like with TO, I think the Bills lucked-into a better player than what they appeared to be going after initially.

I wonder if Rhodes could be used like a fullback when ML returns? :D

She knows that I really like Heidi Klum. :D

I agree that the short-yardage situations hurt his average. But comparing him to Addai, who also had a 3.5 YPC average and who was also a 4.0+ YPC RB before last season, tells me that the Colts' O-line wasn't exactly great last year.

I was a lot more referring to the "Sleeping with Seal" comment. :wallbash:

I was very critical of the FO last off-season. I am still critical of the way they handle the salary cap. The fact that this team had so little cap room to work with this year is unforgivable.

To often the FO seems to waste Mr. Wilson's money on guys like Kelsey.

I may jump the gun when the FO does something I like, but that is only because such occurences are rare.

Wait until you see my posts after the Bills sign a 28-year-old exclusive rights FA to a 4 year 10 mil deal

Do I like Fred Jackson? - the answer is I think Fred Jackson is a good #2. I also think Rhodes is a good #2.

The reason I care about how much $ a player makes is because there is a salary cap. Paying Jackson 2.5 mil when he has to play for $500k means that there is 2 mil not available for a guy like Kiaho. (This assumes Rohdes's base salary is near the vet minimum)

The problem the Bills face is that (like Aaron Schobel said just after the Bills signed TO), players usually don't want to come to Buffalo because of the weather and small market, unless they're paid a lot. After they get there, more than a few end-up liking it. But if a good/overhyped player doesn't like it in Buffalo, he can do things (disrupt the lockerroom, make negative comments, play poorly) to get himself out, and find another payday on a "better" team.

The Bills valued Dockery, Kelsay, Schobel, etc. enough to overpay them to keep them, and those proved to be mistakes given their production since (Schobel is arguable). They saw the light with Dockery and appear to see it with Kelsay. I think they're doing the right thing with Jackson, i.e. telling him to play under his EFA tender and we'll take care of you later. He really has no choice but to show-up, being he has just 2 accrued seasons in the NFL, and is 28.

so do you think they keep 4 RB's on the roster or dump Omon?..havent heard anybody mention him or the fact he might be lost

I think he might be headed very quietly to the practice squad. I don't think he was active enough games last year to be ineligible.

Nicely done deal it sounds like. I like the incentive laden part. I wish more contracts in sports could be that way. he rushed for over 500 yds and went for over 300yds in recieving. Had a 3.5 avg rushing and 6.2 in recieving. Not to bad for a solid vet.

His body is shot

anyone wonder why he has bounced around the league for the last few years??

But, when it comes to individual players, is the guy who scores TDs (because his team gives him the ball at the 1 or 2), but averages 3.5 yards a carry more valuable than the guy who averages 4.5 and gets them all the way down the field and has speed, etc? Dave's right on this one, for RBs TDs can be deceptive. Another back may be just as capable to get into the End Zone from one, but not to replace the back that gains big chunks of yards. It isn't a cut and dry analysis.

Of course, judging a player on a single stat is usually not a very good methodology. And there is no reason to think he departure cost the Colts 9TDs and brings them to the Bills.

BTW, I think we all agree that this is an OK signing, for the Bills, considering how they are likely to use him.

My opinion: Nothing to be pissed about, but nothing to get too excited about either. Fills the bill (and fits the Bills).

Good post, Dean. I think we're all in agreement. I'm certainly not opposed to his presence.

Re: the 3.5 ypc stat, that's his average over the past four years - not just last year. His first few years, he always averaged in the mid 4s. Believe it or not, that's an important stat - it indicates speed/burst. Not many RBs have speed burst after age 30. You watched Edge lately? He was a true stud for years, and now he's too slow.

I do think that what the Bills will be using him for, he's basically fine. He's still the third best RB on the team, but after having watched Omon last year, I guess I'll take him.

His body is shot

anyone wonder why he has bounced around the league for the last few years??

Yeah, but he was a decent 8th option back in the day for the Colts offense...

Nothing like throwing crap against a wall and seeing if it will stick. :wallbash:

:D

Nothing like throwing crap against a wall and seeing if it will stick. :wallbash:

:D

I didn't actually count, but I will now. Let's see...

Harrison, Wayne, James, Stokley, Pollard, and Clark. OK, I stand corrected he was the 7th option on that offense. Mungro was the 8th. Big difference, though. :wallbash:

I didn't actually count, but I will now. Let's see...

Harrison, Wayne, James, Stokley, Pollard, and Clark. OK, I stand corrected he was the 7th option on that offense. Mungro was the 8th. Big difference, though. :D

Who cares about "back in the day?" I'm talking LAST year. The Colts were a shell of their former selves, ranking in the middle of the pack offensively. What does the 2006 season have to do with anything? Hence my original comment. :wallbash:

Who cares about "back in the day?" I'm talking LAST year. The Colts were a shell of their former selves, ranking in the middle of the pack offensively. What does the 2006 season have to do with anything? Hence my original comment. :D

Why didn't you say so the first time instead of feigning a reading comprehension problem?

Why didn't you say so the first time instead of feigning a reading comprehension problem?

I didn't feign anything. Your comment had nothing to do with anything. Especially considering his performance last year was better than "back in the day" in 2006. Not to mention that no one was saying he was going to be the starting RB or more than a 3rd down receiver. You just had to make a negative comment.