Maybe the Bills are seriously considering Pettigrew...

SKOOBY

In a perfect world the Bills, just like any other NFL club, would love to land a tight end in the draft that has blocking and pass catching skills that are equally effective in a prospect’s game. They bring more versatility and more unpredictability to a team’s offense. But with Oklahoma State’s Brandon Pettigrew the only all-around talent in the draft pool, the Bills are open to taking a tight end of the pass catching variety.

“I think it is fluid,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak. “We really don’t try to paint ourselves into a corner. We look and try to see where the value is for a guy and if he can help you in certain ways.”

As open as the Bills might be to taking a pass catching tight end, what has to be considered is the kind of fit such a player would be in Buffalo’s offensive scheme.

“As much as ever you have to be making sure that guy is the right guy for you and be able to utilize him,” Modrak said. “But I wouldn’t rule out the pass catching personally and a talent like that. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. We kind of build it and some guys will fall by the wayside.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...a3-7f88ba515fca

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus please just not at 11

Trade down and take him

If he is the guy they want, I don't care if they take him at 11 or 20.

He's rated highly by all sources. He would not be a reach at 11. I think it is hilarious how many of you closet draft experts cry about a buy being a reach. If he comes in and starts, who in the hell cares if he went 11 or 20 ? If the Bills could guarantee a trade down and still get the guy they want thats fine, otherwise I want them to identify their man and take him. I would be thrilled with Pettigrew at 11.

Guest dog14787

Trade down and take him

TE's that block and catch as good as Pettigrew are hard to get so I'm not sure how long Pettigrew will last.

Chase Coffman is also on my wish list. B-)

He's rated highly by all sources. He would not be a reach at 11. I think it is hilarious how many of you closet draft experts cry about a buy being a reach. If he comes in and starts, who in the hell cares if he went 11 or 20 ? If the Bills could guarantee a trade down and still get the guy they want thats fine, otherwise I want them to identify their man and take him. I would be thrilled with Pettigrew at 11.

Bills aren't shrewd enough to pull the trade down & still obtain him.

Every year since the new regime has come into power they have fallen in love with a player that is not worthy of their first round pick but too good to last until their 2nd. Two of the three years they were able to trade up and obtain their desired player. The exception was last year when they were unable to make a trade to get Devin Thomas. The giants rejected their offer. I think Pettigrew could be the player they trade to trade up to get this year. They will not take him at 11, but stay tuned to the draft, they could trade up.

Its not about being a reach......it is about being smart and finding a way to accumulate more picks and still getting him.......

There are people talking about him being available in the 2nd.....I dont mind taking him in the 1st but if whe can accumulate another 3rd?

Its not about being a reach......it is about being smart and finding a way to accumulate more picks and still getting him.......

There are people talking about him being available in the 2nd.....I dont mind taking him in the 1st but if whe can accumulate another 3rd?

Anybody "talking about him being available in the 2nd" is either drunk or stupid or both.

Like I said, the Bills haven't shown the type of mentality to pull something like that off, they'll screw it up somehow. The only way it might fly is if we get a shift to several places higher and the other teams in between have a solid TE in place, then getting a extra 3rd rounder is possible.

Hitting the lottery is possible as well.

Do you have any problem with his arrest record for Felony Assault?

Trade down and take him

Agreed...

There is no reason to take Pettigrew at #11...His value there is poor...Later on in the 1st Round his value improves...

The Bills have been a bit unwilling to work the Draft and Trade Down to increase picks and take a Prospect where they should be taken...Which is fine if you're right...For example, off field crap aside, no one really talks about Marshawn being a reach where the Bills Drafted him...The Bills were right on his value...Donte Whitner? Well that's another story...

I think IF the Bills are that high on Pettigrew they will sit at #11 and take him...But I doubt they are THAT high on a TE who is obviously quite talented, but only runs in the 4.8 range...On the other hand, I think the Bills as an Organization are tired of seeing a Secondary they have spent two of the past three 1st Rounds fortifying looking less than stellar due to a woefully poor Pass Rush...It's just My opinion, but I think The Bills Scouting Department has worked tirelessly to find the DE/Pass Rusher they feel can come in an not only help out in 2009, but also the DE that is the best long term option...Can we not assume Chris Kelsay will be a Cap casualty sooner rather than later?

I think the Bills are going to take one of the Top DE Prospects at #11...I'm guessing it's going to be Ayers, but I'm always wrong about these things where the Bills are concerned...So I guess Pettigrew is a definite possibility after all... B-)

Do you have any problem with his arrest record for Felony Assault?

Not at all. But that's irrelevant. The Bills are the ones with all of the info. If they think he is going to be a great player and a solid citizen, that's really all that matters. People make mistakes, especially young people. If it was a one time thing, good enough. If they deem him to be of poor character, that fine too. There are plenty of good players available.