Who's your 2009 "Whitner Pick" at #11

Kingfish

Anybody have any rarely mentioned players that the Bills could pick at 11?

You mean second round talent they'd pick that high in the first round? The only player that I could see as possibly ever happening with would be Clay Matthews. But who knows with the "let's get cute and trick everybody" Bills.

You mean second round talent they'd pick that high in the first round? The only player that I could see as possibly ever happening with would be Clay Matthews. But who knows with the "let's get cute and trick everybody" Bills.

clay matthews isn't a second round talent

clay matthews isn't a second round talent

There's not a day that goes by that I don't tick you off, is there. <_<

Don't you find it strange that given his bloodlines that he's continually ranked in the high twenties of top prospects? If he was truly first round talent I've got to believe he'd be ranked at least in the top 20 players given who his pop and uncle were in the NFL. It's just an opinion, and I've certainly got nothing against the Bills grabbing Matthews in the second. At #11? Hells no.

A pick that would have my jaw hit the floor like it did in 2006 when we took Whitner instead of Bunkley or Ngata which were players that fit the GREATEST need, I'd say that I have 3 in mind. Chris Wells RB from Ohio St., Vontae Davis CB from Illinois, and QB either Sanchez or Freeman.

We'll draft for the secondary, if history is out guide.

I really do not put anything past the circle jerks anymore. It seems, dating back for the last 10 years, we always try to get cute on draft day. I could see them shocking the hell out of everybody & taking Jenkins or Davis @ #11. It would almost be worth it just to see the reaction of this board.

You are completely clueless if you think Whitner was going to be a 2nd round draft.

As for the original, I kinda agree with Matthews or selecting a TE other than Pettigrew. I will not mention a defensive back because that would be my absolute breaking point as a Bills fan.

We'll draft for the secondary, if history is out guide.

Buffalo's 1st round (or #1) picks in the last 10 drafts:

1999 - Antoine Winfield/CB

2000 - Erik Flowers/DE

2001 - Nate Clements/CB

2002 - Mike Williams/OT

2003 - Willis McGahee/RB

2004 - Lee Evans/WR

2004 - JP Losman/QB

2005 - Roscoe Parrish/WR (2nd round)

2006 - Donte Whitner/S

2006 - John McCargo/DT

2007 - Marshawn Lynch/RB

2008 - Leodis McKelvin/CB

I understand it's fashionable to say what you said, but it's just not true.

You are completely clueless if you think Whitner was going to be a 2nd round draft.

As for the original, I kinda agree with Matthews or selecting a TE other than Pettigrew. I will not mention a defensive back because that would be my absolute breaking point as a Bills fan.

From my recollection, Whitner was regarded late first/early second round till his stock quickly rose to the middle of rd 1 leading up to draft day. In hindsight, the guy was a second round talent that was clearly a reach at #8. I never said he was going to be drafted in the second round if the Bills didn't take him.

From my recollection, Whitner was regarded late first/early second round till his stock quickly rose to the middle of rd 1 leading up to draft day. In hindsight, the guy was a second round talent that was clearly a reach at #8. I never said he was going to be drafted in the second round if the Bills didn't take him.

2nd round talent is about right.

Then Marv followed that with an encore... drafting McCargo (another second round talent) in the first round.

Then, Marv took Ko Simpson in the 4th -- who everyone thought was a steal. Only thing he stole was a roster spot!

2000 - Erik Flowers/DE

2001 - Nate Clements/CB

2002 - Mike Williams/OT

2003 - Willis McGahee/RB

2004 - Lee Evans/WR

2004 - JP Losman/QB

2006 - Donte Whitner/S

2006 - John McCargo/DT

2007 - Marshawn Lynch/RB

?? Me thinks it is true (more likely than any other position):

4 picks = secondary

2 picks = DL

2 pick = RB

2 picks = WR

1 pick = OL

1 pick = QB

What really pains me is that we need help on both lines, and we do NOT have a good track record with the 1st pick linemen! Flowers, Williams and McCargo - ouch!

2000 - Erik Flowers/DE

2001 - Nate Clements/CB

2002 - Mike Williams/OT

2003 - Willis McGahee/RB

2004 - Lee Evans/WR

2004 - JP Losman/QB

2006 - Donte Whitner/S

2006 - John McCargo/DT

2007 - Marshawn Lynch/RB

You just laid out the road map of failure my friend. Is there any wonder why this organization sucks!?

Easy - All 5 safeties on the roster are UFAs in the next 2 years. Three this year, two next. Add in Whitner's issues and we are taking the top available defensive back. If the Bills consider Jenkins a safety, as some do, then it is Jenkins. Maybe CB Vontae Davis. I wouldn't be suprised if they take the top pure safety, William Moore from Missouri.

?? Me thinks it is true (more likely than any other position):

4 picks = secondary

2 picks = DL

2 pick = RB

2 picks = WR

1 pick = OL

1 pick = QB

What really pains me is that we need help on both lines, and we do NOT have a good track record with the 1st pick linemen! Flowers, Williams and McCargo - ouch!

I guess I should've completed my thought there...

Sure, the team has picked more DBs than any other position, but pretty much every team keeps more DBs than players at any other position, so it makes sense from that perspective. My point was supposed to be (again, if I finished my thought...my bad) that 4 out of 12 picks spend on DBs is hardly enough of an investment for so many people to throw the "we only draft DBs" blanket over.

That said, and I've mentioned this before, it's not outlandish to think Buffalo would take a DB in round 1. Especially when you consider that the only CBs under contract after the upcoming season will be McKelvin and Corner, since McGee, Youboty, and Florence are all due to become UFAs.