Unsubstantiated second-hand Peters news

Hope you're a big fan of Fitzpatrick, because if Peters is gone I predict he'll be our starting QB by game three.

11.5 = the number of times Trent Edwards got levelled because Mr. Pro Bowl Peters whiffed his block in 2008. Hmmm...maybe Peters wants $1/yr for every sack he gave up?

PTR

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no idea if they offered him 10 million this year. I'm hoping and thinking that they eventually will, but if I'm not mistaken, the only even "rumored" numbers we have seen about the Bills offer is 8.5 million.

Internet rumors started by morons who just make stuff up about what they have seen on TV don't even count as rumors.

As opposed to the assumptions we make?

PTR

I think the thing is that if he came to camp honorably last year, like Evans did for example, he might be sitting on year 2 of a big fat contract right now. The bucks that he probably lost last year, let's say in the neighborhood of as much as 6 million probably cannot ever be made up.

Still didn't answer the question, as there was NO extra money on the table for Peters when he held out, last year...but let's move on.

The only money Peters likely lost, by holding out, was any fine money the Bills may have charged him. The Bills said they were not negotiating with him until AFTER last season, so I wouldn't conclude the Bills would have redone his contract last year. Even if the Bills decided to consider redoing his contract, last year (there is no evidence that they would have), do you REALLY think they would have offered him the kind of money he is asking for (or even what they are offering now)? If so, what makes you feel that would have happened?

He WILL get over $10 million, from some team, this year (unless the he refuses to sign, and the Bills refuse to trade him), so I don't know how anyone can claim he lost $6 million by holding out. Also, even if that were true, it is probably way too conceptual for Peters. This year he is actually being offered big money...it is tangible.

I think the thing is that if he came to camp honorably last year, like Evans did for example, he might be sitting on year 2 of a big fat contract right now. The bucks that he probably lost last year, let's say in the neighborhood of as much as 6 million probably cannot ever be made up.

IMHO the Peters camp started this whole mess by disappearing last year. That was an extremely disrespectful thing to do. Not they way to start off a negotiation with a team that had been pretty fair with you to that point. I never heard of any negotiation going well when one side starts by kicking the other in the nuts.

PTR

Still didn't answer the question, as there was NO extra money on the table for Peters when he held out, last year...but let's move on.

The only money Peters likely lost, by holding out, was any fine money the Bills may have charged him. The Bills said they were not negotiating with him until AFTER last season, so I wouldn't conclude the Bills would have redone his contract last year. Even if the Bills decided to consider redoing his contract, last year (there is no evidence that they would have), do you REALLY think they would have offered him the kind of money he is asking for (or even what they are offering now)? If so, what makes you feel that would have happened?

He WILL get over $10 million, from some team, this year (unless the he refuses to sign, and the Bills refuse to trade him), so I don't know how anyone can claim he lost $6 million by holding out. Also, even if that were true, it is probably way too conceptual for Peters. This year he is actually being offered big money...it is tangible.

I'd agree... I'm not sure he really lost any money because the Bills made it quite clear that he wouldn't get a new deal for the 2008 season. However, I'm not sure at all that we can say he's going to gain any money from all the holding out. So, what's the point then?

The Bills' FO was certainly going to rework his contract. Had he come in and played hard, I have little doubt they would have reworked his deal ala Schobel, Stroud, Evans this off season regardless of the holdout. IMO, all he's done with the hold out is hurt his stock with the team and the fanbase. Not that many LT are product sponsors, but I'd be really surprised if he even has that option now. And if he holds out for any length of time this off season and has another average year; that great 2007 season will be a really distant memory and almost certainly cost him some money.

I still don't understand the logic behind holding out. How can you demand more money when you're not there earning what you're currently being paid? Like I said before, though, that's probably why I'm not running a franchise.

IMHO the Peters camp started this whole mess by disappearing last year. That was an extremely disrespectful thing to do. Not they way to start off a negotiation with a team that had been pretty fair with you to that point. I never heard of any negotiation going well when one side starts by kicking the other in the nuts.

PTR

Agreed...

I'm in favor of keeping Peters if at all possible...But every day that passes I feel that is less likely...It does seem like the holdout last Season left The Bills VERY bitter despite the Company line when Peters returned...It also seems to Me (and it's JMO) that Peters (or maybe it's JP's Agent) is a bit pissed off that The Bills did not step up and make him the highest paid LT the minute he made a Pro Bowl...I could be wrong, but it's just the feeling I get...

I think those who feel this is just a normal negotiation, or that these ploys are always done...well...I think those Folks are kidding themselves...I think there is a TON of bad blood behind the scenes in this situation and I think both sides have dug in their heels...I just don't see a middle ground because I don't think either side even wants to consider a middle ground...So if that's the case (and I know that's a BIG if), Trade him and lets move on already... :devil:

This is easy. No new contract this year. If he plays better than last year--nice new contract. If not, he will have proven he is not worth what he seeks--trade him then. This guy has yet to play a full season at the position that he is "the best" at.

What's he gonna do, hold out again? He hurts his value, which is certainly all he is interested in.

Russ: "Final offer."

Russ - Jason, we'll give you $9.5 mill. That's the best I can do.

Peters - I put my bucket of chicken down for this? Please.

Russ - I'm serious. Ralph is pulling lint from his pockets on this one.

Peters - Don't you guys get it. I'm not white with a high motor. You have to pay me. Me and the Colonel are retiring to the couch. Hey Parker, pass me that box of biscuits.

:devil:;)

Dang--I was watching--and I swear I heard it, but the tape doesn't lie. I thought I heard him Peters wants in the $11M range and the Bills were around $9.75. Are there two versions of total access? This was the dinner hour one--I was still at work where we have the dish (for educational purposes only). I was working on a whitepaper so I wasn't 100% paying attention.... :devil:

Just one version. 7:00 pm is re-run later in the night and ealry morning hours.

I also DID NOT hear them say "they would not even talk ubtil they got to $11M."

Hope you're a big fan of Fitzpatrick, because if Peters is gone I predict he'll be our starting QB by game three.

Why, is someone else going to come in and give up more than 11½ sacks this year???

Oh, I understand the negotiations aren't at $10 Million, yet. I expect they will be, though. Even if the Bills stay at 8.5 (or whatever they've offered), Peters is risking that (still more than double what he currently makes), if he sits. The circumstances between last year and this, are very different.

$10M for a guy that chose to perform at a below-average level last season and hasn't proven he can stay healthy an entire season. What a joke.

Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, that players have to prove themselves for a few years at the position before they can cash in? Especially when you're an undrafted free agent? He comes in as an undrafted FA on special teams. The Bills convert from TE to OL, and give him a new contract making him a wealthy guy already. One solid year at RT. Then he moves to left and has a solid year there. Then he holds out? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? Get rid of the !@#$ing bum. Contrary to the opinions of you and some others on this board, he is not irreplaceable. And at some point, with contracts getting absolutely out of control (especially in this economy), someone has to take a stand.