Buffalo Lockjaw

WWVaBeach

I'm not sure about that book... if it comes off as another middle finger salute to Buffalo (ala Vincent Gallo) then forget it, but if it seems like a decent representation of back home I might read it.

Interesting that the book cover kind of perpetuates our "beer-belt" image. :blink:

I'm not sure about that book... if it comes off as another middle finger salute to Buffalo (ala Vincent Gallo) then forget it, but if it seems like a decent representation of back home I might read it.

Interesting that the book cover kind of perpetuates our "beer-belt" image. :blink:

I never interpreted Gallo's outward bravado or Buffalo '66 as a middle finger salute to Buffalo. After reading the Buffalo News review of this book, it seems as though the author loves Buffalo for what it is. I think Gallo loves it too, even though sometimes he hates to admit it.

Read the author's quote that was in the Buffalo News article.

“Outside of all the drinking, what people do indoors is tell each other stories. I don’t know what it’s like to grow up in a place like San Diego where it’s 72 every day. I would imagine that I would spend a lot more time riding a bike and being out on the beach and doing other things. But when you grow up in Buffalo, you’re indoors and with your family. Certain bonds are formed. I can’t speak for anyplace else but I do think Buffalo produces a lot of storytellers and dynamic people.”

Buffalonians like Gallo and this guy always deliver a certain amount of self-deprecation when trying to depict their hometown. But deep down, Buffalonians love Buffalo with the same type of loyalty that a kid loves his gimpy three-legged dog. All of the city's "inadequacies" are what make it unique and maybe even more lovable than those "perfect" cities in the US. That's the tone I get from the book review, and I don't interpret it as an insult.

I never interpreted Gallo's outward bravado or Buffalo '66 as a middle finger salute to Buffalo. After reading the Buffalo News review of this book, it seems as though the author loves Buffalo for what it is. I think Gallo loves it too, even though sometimes he hates to admit it.

Read the author's quote that was in the Buffalo News article.

Buffalonians like Gallo and this guy always deliver a certain amount of self-deprecation when trying to depict their hometown. But deep down, Buffalonians love Buffalo with the same type of loyalty that a kid loves his gimpy three-legged dog. All of the city's "inadequacies" are what make it unique and maybe even more lovable than those "perfect" cities in the US. That's the tone I get from the book review, and I don't interpret it as an insult.

Gallo loved Buffalo. you can tell if you ever say the NFL films piece about a City and it's team about Buffalo and the Bills. However, his sister got busted for hooking up with an underage girl and went to jail. Since that time, he has taken every opportunity to crap on the city.

Granted i'm biased, but I thought Buffalo '66 was a great movie. Howver, Gallo is a little insane and has a high opinion of himself (see Brown Bunny for instance).