Report: Lynch suspended three games

Maybe you want to rethink that statement. Can you name anyone, other than yourself and your brethren here at TBD, who think that Goodell's suspension of Lynch has made the League look "bad"?

As for the analogy, what is your point again?

Sigh. Put simply, by drawing attention to players' crimes, he's making them MORE visible to everyone else.

As for comparing to Marshall, have you considered the possibility that Goodell has realized that he let him off too easy and that the message that Marshall's suspension sent to nuckleheads like Lynch was "do what you want--there's a slap on the wrist waiting for you"?

Goodell wants to project the image as a tough guy, but obviously he hasn't been tough enough to keep morons like Lynch from F-ing their teams over. My guess is that he has decided to up the ante.

Have you considered this?

I've considered that Goodell realizes his "sit downs" have been dismal failures in preventing recidivism among his more troubled charges. He'd be better served saving the meeting time for say, working on the new CBA, and just handing out suspensions, for all the good it does.

However he can take out his frustration on another team's player, most notably Brandon Marshall, who got arrested again after his "sit down" and suspension with the Commish. Because unlike Lynch, who got charged with a misdemeanor and is on probation for 3 years, Marshall hasn't been charged with anything, thanks to the lax laws in Denver (he had a 0.11 BAC and was charged with DWAI instead of DUI, if that tells you anything :( ). Yet so far nothing. Care to explain why, Mr. WEO? Have you given that any consideration, versus childishly wanting Goodell to make an example of a player of your alleged favorite team, because you didn't like the way he handled the situation last year?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely ridiculous. I hope all the people that hoped that they would throw the book at Lynch to "prove a point" are happy now that the NFL has basically screwed us...again.

It was Lynch, not the the NFL, who screwed us this time. He already had the hit-and-run, that should have been his wake up call.

Ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever. I hope he's the former, but afraid he's the latter.

Sigh. Put simply, by drawing attention to players' crimes, he's making them MORE visible to everyone else.

I've considered that Goodell realizes his "sit downs" have been dismal failures in preventing recidivism among his more troubled charges. He'd be better served saving the meeting time for say, working on the new CBA, and just handing out suspensions, for all the good it does.

However he can take out his frustration on another team's player, most notably Brandon Marshall, who got arrested again after his "sit down" and suspension with the Commish. Because unlike Lynch, who got charged with a misdemeanor and is on probation for 3 years, Marshall hasn't been charged with anything, thanks to the lax laws in Denver (he had a 0.11 BAC and was charged with DWAI instead of DUI, if that tells you anything :rolleyes: ). Yet so far nothing. Care to explain why, Mr. WEO? Have you given that any consideration, versus childishly wanting Goodell to make an example of a player of your alleged favorite team, because you didn't like the way he handled the situation last year?

I'll take a stab at it ... Brandon Marshall's one game suspension was a joke. Everyone knows it was ridiculous that he got it reduced to 1 game. Based on fan reaction, media reaction, TSW reaction, and Marshall's inability to stay out of trouble since, I think we can all agree he got off way too easy. Brandon Marshall is a way bigger problem than Marshawn, IMO. Unfortunately for the Bills, Goodell seems to have clamped down again, and is trying to send a message. Lynch's suspension is more consistent with Goodells past actions, outside of the Marshall case.

Every news outlet I saw cover the story, had it in the ballpark of three games. Only here at a site filled with Bills fans did I see 1 game or no suspension. Go figure. Roger Goodell is in the process of installing a new disciplinary system in the NFL, to help slow down the crime spree. We are still in the beginning stages of the process, and the NFL is trying to figure out a standard. Every case is different and having set rules is not applicable. It's possible that suspensions are now being set, knowing full well that they will be appealed and reduced. This type of repetitive action takes place in our courtrooms every day.

It is not necessarily my opinion in this case, but an illegal firearm can be more serious than domestic abuse. It sounds ridiculous but let's face it, an unregistered firearm can do alot more damage than an abusive football player. By no means am I saying Lynch is a bigger threat than Marshall. I think Lynch is a good kid, at heart. The law punishes gun crimes more serious than your average domestic abuse case. I also think that you can make a case that the casual fan who doesn't know the individuals involved, will be more effected by the illegal gun. It's sad but beating up a girlfriend, is pretty vanilla today. Unregistered firearms is far more damaging to the league, IMO.

Please stop with the excuses for Marshawn. He did something stupid and is going to pay the price, whatever it ends up being. It sucks from a fans perspective but that really doesn't matter. He got what most thought he would get and it has a good chance of being reduced. Move on!

I don't think the level of the woman's injuries in the hit-and-run matter one bit.

You stop and see if the person is all right. It's what civilized humans should do.

Thats what civilized humans should do, but Marshawn's use to running people over...he did what he always does, just keeps going.

On a serious note though, the whole gun charge was bad, but I'm over it. What do we think the Bills will do about those first 3 games? I sort of skimmed through the past couple of pages because its mostly people discussing the legal issues of marshawn's arrest, so I might have missed something. But what do people suspect will be our solution to Marshawn missing the first 3 games? We have Freddy, Omon, and Hall on the practice squad. I think if we bring Bruce Hall in from the practice squad, have Freddy start, and rotate in Omon and Hall, we could easily get through those first 3 games. Now that we have Evans, Owens, Reed, and *hopefully* a new stud tight end, we could put more emphasis on the pass during those games, while still giving those 3 RB's (mostly freddy) a decent rotation of run plays. That and we will probably draft a RB in one of the later rounds of the draft, leaving us with another option as well.

I think Ellison starting at outside linebacker the whole season is more of a liability than not having marshawn for 3 games. I honestly think I would be disappointed to see them bring in a RB instead of bringing in a LB when they had a chance.

There is no reason for any suspension at all. None. Lynch has already said he's really sorry, and promised that he'll behave and it'll never happen again.

Lynch was not holding a gun - there was not even a gun in the passenger compartment, but stowed away in the trunk. And anyone who claims he was 'under the influence' of drugs is just talking out their ass, since they have absolutely no knowledge that he was.

A better question - why didn't you suspend Wilfork, who has a history of dirty play and intent to injure, for deliberately taking out our QB, Roger? Too busy polishing Bob Kraft's knob?

Eat schitt, Goodell.

There is no reason for any suspension at all. None. Lynch has already said he's really sorry, and promised that he'll behave and it'll never happened again.

Lynch was not holding a gun - there was not even a gun in the passenger compartment, but stowed away in the trunk. And anyone who claims he was 'under the influence' of drugs is just talking out their ass, since they have absolutely no knowledge that he was.

A better question - why didn't you suspend Wilfork, who has a history of dirty play and intent to injure, for deliberately taking out our QB, Roger? Too busy polishing Bob Kraft's knob?

Eat schitt, Goodell.

Why can't people understand that the gun was illegal, regardless of where it was. Christ, you guys are such homers. The gun could have been locked up in a safe and it still would have been illegal. I register my handguns because it's the law, he didn't, end of the freaking story. His intentions for the gun were most likely nothing, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. If I had a hand grenade, and kept it in my trunk, is it okay?

Your comparison of illegal firearm and three years probation, too a dirty football player, is a whole new level of stupidity. How could you notice Bob Krafts knob, while you were all over Marshawn's?

Why can't people understand that the gun was illegal, regardless of where it was. Christ, you guys are such homers. The gun could have been locked up in a safe and it still would have been illegal. I register my handguns because it's the law, he didn't, end of the freaking story. His intentions for the gun were most likely nothing, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. If I had a hand grenade, and kept it in my trunk, is it okay?

Your comparison of illegal firearm and three years probation, too a dirty football player, is a whole new level of stupidity. How could you notice Bob Krafts knob, while you were all over Marshawn's?

thanks for that personal attack. you are likely too narrow-minded to engage in intelligent discourse, so i'll just wish you a pleasant weekend.

thanks for that personal attack. you are likely too narrow-minded to engage in intelligent discourse, so i'll just wish you a pleasant weekend.

Right. :rolleyes: I called you a homer and said that your comparisons of Wilfork and Lynch were stupid. Jeezus, grow some thicker skin. I find it interesting that you have dedicated your screen name and quotes to Senator Kennedy, and his accident. Would you find a way to spin the facts for him, if he played running back for the Bills? Would it be similar to the "Marshawn didn't know he ran over a girl" argument?

Right. :rolleyes: I called you a homer and said that your comparisons of Wilfork and Lynch were stupid. Jeezus, grow some thicker skin. I find it interesting that you have dedicated your screen name and quotes to Senator Kennedy, and his accident. Would you find a way to spin the facts for him, if he played running back for the Bills? Would it be similar to the "Marshawn didn't know he ran over a girl" argument?

happy easter

There is no reason for any suspension at all. None. Lynch has already said he's really sorry, and promised that he'll behave and it'll never happened again.

Eat schitt, Goodell.

Do you really believe that?

BTW, i want you to know, I'm laughing every time you post that, even if nobody else is.

Do you really believe that?

yes, i do - he said he's really sorry, he's never lied to me, and i have no reason to distrust the man. i'm always amazed and amused that folks who've never met the man speak of him as though they have intimate knowledge of his character.

just look at the wonderful things he's doing for the community and the gus macker tourney - i believe he has learned his lesson and will now be a model citizen.

there is no reason for any suspension. his infractions, while dumb, were quite mild, and the justice system has already run its course.

yes, i do - he said he's really sorry, he's never lied to me, and i have no reason to distrust the man. i'm always amazed and amused that folks who've never met the man speak of him as though they have intimate knowledge of his character.

just look at the wonderful things he's doing for the community and the gus macker tourney - i believe he has learned his lesson and will now be a model citizen.

there is no reason for any suspension. his infractions, while dumb, were quite mild, and the justice system has already run its course.

Well you are not the one handing down the suspension. I'm sure when he and the commish had their little chat last year, he told the commish he would keep his nose clean and he didn't, hence the suspension. P.S. I am now convinced that you are in fact CRAYONZ.

I am now convinced that you are in fact CRAYONZ.

The Sen is a good friend of mine, and I have to admit, I have wondered that, too. But, I think I would know by now, if he was.

I think...

You should have stopped writing before this:

Put simply, by drawing attention to players' crimes, he's making them MORE visible to everyone else.

So by penalizing bad behavior, Goodell is hyping the bad behavior? Like, no one would have known about the NFL's player problems if Goodell hadn't gone and made such a big deal about them? WTF??? Do you really believe this?

I want the commish to make an example out of ML?? haha--good one. And you've GOT to let go of Brandon Marshall (over and over and over) as some sort of precedent because the commish is CLEARLY not using precedent to hand down his punishment, for reasons I have already explained.

You're a mess! ML did this to you dude. Why can't you see this?

Well you are not the one handing down the suspension. I'm sure when he and the commish had their little chat last year, he told the commish he would keep his nose clean and he didn't, hence the suspension. P.S. I am now convinced that you are in fact CRAYONZ.

good point Bug!

That post does awfully have a sort of CRAYONZ type of trademark to it.