Why can't we draft like it was 1985 anymore?

seq004

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC:

A.) Underclassmen weren't eligible for draft (giving teams more film to study and/or players another year of experience)

B.) No Free agency (that created holes in rosters, forcing young players to produce right away, rather than learning their craft)

A blast from the Way Back Machine.

Can you imagine what the board would have been like, had it existed in 1985-86?

They drafted a backup QB in the 3rd round? Friggen guy threw ONE pass all year.

Andre who? Kutztown? What kind of conference is that? What a reach that was, they could have gotten him 2 rounds later.

At least Bruce Smith was good.

But, the team went 2-14 after that draft. Some help that draft was. These guys suck!

Andre who? Kutztown? What kind of conference is that? What a reach that was, they could have gotten him 2 rounds later.

But, the team went 2-14 after that draft. Some help that draft was. These guys suck!

The PSAC is a pretty darn good Division II conference. Abilene Christian has a RB that is going to be a keeper in this year's draft

The PSAC is a pretty darn good Division II conference. Abilene Christian has a RB that is going to be a keeper in this year's draft

I'm saying people here complain when the Bills pick a Big 10 player.

I'm saying people here complain when the Bills pick a Big 10 player.

I know.....its silly. Keep an eye on Bernard Scott- he had a ridiculous season and a ridiculous playoff game against West Texas......I think he had 7 TD's in that game

We drafted a third round qb in 2007, who might just end up being a backup. He walks on water and can heal everyone with his touch (not including himself). Many a Bills fan melt when he speaks and his name is defended like no other. I think Frank Reich, would fit in just fine. :worthy:

Just another reminder to thank Jeff Littman for running Bill Polian out of town. Thanks Jeff I'm glad we have you instead of Bill Polian, what's he ever done anyway?

I thought it had more to do with Ralph's daughter. Not sure on this though. In any case, someone eff'd up... big time.

Sometimes you are so wise it shocks me!

Oh and it was one person's opinion on what was 9th best draft ever. Considering it is on YouTube probably someone who did not watch football for all of football too.

Sometimes you are so wise it shocks me!

Oh and it was one person's opinion on what was 9th best draft ever. Considering it is on YouTube probably someone who did not watch football for all of football too.

it looks like it is one of those low-quality Best Of lists that Fox Sports Net used to carry. They never have much video, because they are too cheap to pay for the rights.

it looks like it is one of those low-quality Best Of lists that Fox Sports Net used to carry. They never have much video, because they are too cheap to pay for the rights.

And not pay the "writer" very much either.

Why can't we draft like it was 1985 anymore?

because we dont have the #1 overall pick, and because the draft is half as long now (7 rounds instead of 12-14?).

So in "2" drafts worth of picks with the #1 position, the first pick worked out like it was supposed to and we got a backup QB and an amazing lightening strike from Nowhere University. what about the other 10 players? thats an entire draft's worth of busts.

not to take anything away from Polian, the players, etc. but cmon.

great video though

Lets not forget that the Bills had 16 picks that season. They had two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks, and two 4th round picks.

Rnd Name College Note

1 Bruce Smith Virginia Tech

1 Derrick Burroughs Memphis State

2 Mark Traynowicz Nebraska

2 Chris Burkett Jackson State

3 Frank Reich Maryland

3 Hal Garner Utah State

4 Andre Reed Kutztown (PA)

4 Dale Hellestrae Southern Methodist

5 Jimmy Teal Texas A&M

6 Mike Hamby Utah State

7 Ron Pitts UCLA