Bills on the Clock

Through BuffaloRumblings.com

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/6/8...-bills#comments

They're right, O-line is overrated and as Dilfer said, doesn't matter if you have TO, if your QB doesn't have time to throw its pointless.

Favorite parts

1) "Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 08 was not the Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 07"

2) Mort admits he was wrong, Jauron DID want TO.

Through BuffaloRumblings.com

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/6/8...-bills#comments

They're right, O-line is overrated and as Dilfer said, doesn't matter if you have TO, if your QB doesn't have time to throw its pointless.

Favorite parts

1) "Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 08 was not the Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 07"

2) Mort admits he was wrong, Jauron DID want TO.

Mort is just a Bills hater. Can't stand the guy

They obviously didn't watch many Bills games as pass protection the past 2 years have not been a major issue. Now run blocking has been so-so I'll admit. But it has been plenty of Sundays I have saw Trent holding the ball forever and then dumping it off in the flat; I've saw JP hold the ball and take RJ type sacks! Trent must get better at finding his secondary targets and get confidence in letting it rip! Also Schonert obvious gameplanning doesn't help either. I will agree that we do need an upgrade on an edge rusher but the middle of our D has been sufficent; not Big Ted/ Fat Pat tight but OK with the addition of Stroud.

They obviously didn't watch many Bills games as pass protection the past 2 years have not been a major issue. Now run blocking has been so-so I'll admit. But it has been plenty of Sundays I have saw Trent holding the ball forever and then dumping it off in the flat; I've saw JP hold the ball and take RJ type sacks! Trent must get better at finding his secondary targets and get confidence in letting it rip! Also Schonert obvious gameplanning doesn't help either. I will agree that we do need an upgrade on an edge rusher but the middle of our D has been sufficent; not Big Ted/ Fat Pat tight but OK with the addition of Stroud.

Is it me, or does this sound like we need Pettigrew!?!

Mort is just a Bills hater. Can't stand the guy

If only the Bills could make Mort STFU. Winning some games would do that, but we've got to wait about 5 months.

It's popular to rag on Buffalo, and Mort is not going to stop until the team wins. But even he should admit Donahoe's failure to land a front office gig since his firing is proof-positive that he over-reacted and lost control. Hence, no one will hire him beyond being a "consultant." I'm surprised Mort hasn't gotten him a job at ESPN by now.

Is it me, or does this sound like we need Pettigrew!?!

It's just you. With Pettigrew's speed, he'd just be making it to the flat for Trent to dump the ball off to him. We already have guys like Fred and Marshawn for that <_<

I kid, I kid

Mark Gaughan <_<

Gaughan's good, no doubt. If he wasn't respected among his peers, he wouldn't be next in line for the PFWA presidency. And like most of his colleagues at The News, he's willing to interact with readers -- in some other towns, that's rarer than one might think.

(I'll clarify that to send my props directly to The News' sports department. I've noticed the citysiders aren't quite as accommodating.)

The post Trapped pulled that quote from, in case anyone else is wondering:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...roundtable.html

I like your assessment. Given a different QB, one with a quick and confident release, our protection would have been sufficient. On running downs it is suspect early, seeming to gain momentum later. Still, it has not been dominant, which is a concern. A fan would like its team to have the type of line that can gain a yard when it needs to, no questions. My guess is that the problem with the passing is more to do with the recievers and coordinators. Either the recievers aren't getting separation, or, the routes aren't appropriate to the defence (i.e. predictable play calling), or, the calls are forced to Evans, regardless of coverage.

I like your assessment. Given a different QB, one with a quick and confident release, our protection would have been sufficient. On running downs it is suspect early, seeming to gain momentum later. Still, it has not been dominant, which is a concern. A fan would like its team to have the type of line that can gain a yard when it needs to, no questions. My guess is that the problem with the passing is more to do with the recievers and coordinators. Either the recievers aren't getting separation, or, the routes aren't appropriate to the defence (i.e. predictable play calling), or, the calls are forced to Evans, regardless of coverage.

...or JP was waiting on the big play, and Trent seems hesitant to let the ball go, before the WR makes his cut and/or appears wide open (particularly on medium-to-long routes).