Aaron Maybin

both.

RD3 will be our last chance for DE and OLB.

Sidbury, maybe Cody Brown or Zack Follett is about it at OLB,

and Sidbury, maybe Dorell Scott is end of the line at DE.

It'd be too bad if we were looking for something other than OG (Levitre, Urbik ) or TE James Casey in RD3.

Got it. Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Maualuga is available at #11 - take him.

I think that our FO might be considering that after his Pro Day where he ran a 4.6 forty time. With his size, speed, and nasty attitude he brings on defense I can see them taking him and sliding Poz outside. Also, with the forty time, he is surely fast enough to drop back into coverage. It's possible.

I think that our FO might be considering that after his Pro Day where he ran a 4.6 forty time. With his size, speed, and nasty attitude he brings on defense I can see them taking him and sliding Poz outside. Also, with the forty time, he is surely fast enough to drop back into coverage. It's possible.

Can Ray play outside? I'm not sold on Poz on the outside, but maybe that's just me.

I saw a 4.7 not 4.6 . He even ran a little over 4.7 on another try.

Can Rey play outside? I'm not sold on Poz on the outside, but maybe that's just me.

I can't say I've heard any of the endless scouting reports on Maualega claim that he's shown other that pedestrian coverage skills. AFAIK, he's a very hard-hitting ILB who flings blockers aside but has to be taught arm tackling. He's been given some comparisons to Ray Lewis, but that's a heck of a standard.

Poz - I don't know.

I can't say I've heard any of the endless scouting reports on Maualega claim that he's shown other that pedestrian coverage skills. AFAIK, he's a very hard-hitting ILB who flings blockers aside but has to be taught arm tackling. He's been given some comparisons to Ray Lewis, but that's a heck of a standard.

I wondered because I have also seen/heard Ray compared to AJ Hawk, who plays outside.

I wondered because I have also seen/heard Ray compared to AJ Hawk, who plays outside.

I suspect he will at least be a decent NFL pro. What intrigues me is his collegiate ability to get by the interference and hit the ball carrier. The pundits say he needs to use his arms more, and I understand that. That's where pro coaching should come in.

But if he can do what is advertised, if he can reliably save a half a yards' progress on a rush, that can mean a punt instead of a new set of downs.

I'm not much of a fan of the BPA idea - but he is one of two players after the top 5 that I'd think hard about. CB Jenkins of OSU is the other.

If Jenkins fell to #11 and BUF picked him - the mood here would approximate the storming of the Bastille. <_<

I don't know what to think of Maybin. Worth our #11?..............................I gotta say no right now. One year of excellent production at a weight of 235lbs. He's a sketchy prospect at best. Will he posess the same explosion at 260lbs? He had his best production against subpar teams. His best performance of the season came against an underachieving Wisconsin team with 6 tackles, 1 assist, and 2 sacks. He had multiple sack games against Temple, Coastal Carolina, and the forementioned Wisconsin. Against Iowa, their only reg.season loss, he had just 1 tackle. Against USC he had 4 tackles, but never harassed Sanchez at all. I couldn't use our 1st Rounder on him. Worth our 2nd if he drops that far? Yes.

You bring up some good points about being able to play at his higher weight. As a result he reminds me of Erik Flowers as remember all too well our scouts gushing about Flowers' ability to put on weight and still run a good forty time. To me Maybin is a big time risk. I like Everette Brown a little more but he scares me too. In all honesty feel our best plan is to trade down and gather more picks and hopefully take a guy like Peria Jerry (as think pass rush from the DT would be more beneficial from the DE as think a healthy Schobel can help us a lot at DE) or possibly Pettigrew even though not sold on him as a top flight TE. Yet if we do stay at 11 favor more and more taking a guy like Oher and convert him to LG a la Ruben Brown.

I think Jason Taylor isn't really the scout comparison for him - most people I've heard talk about Maybin compare him to Andre Carter, who has played a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE and LB.

If he became Andre Carter 2.0, definitely worth #11.

Because he's a RS Soph, I think that's why we have scant video on him. Scout has some, but not worth their "premium" bill.

Few threads on this player already...

Kinda scary, he gains 15lbs between the end of college football and the combine and has a absolute horrid combine and then looks like superman at his pro day and runs much faster, again after adding another 5 lbs. He had one great year at Penn St ...so I'll leave it to the real scouts and doctors to figure this one out.

http://imatopprospect.ning.com/video/maybin-highlights-2008

His own site (his agent runs it). He has a few highlights and interviews with Poz, Arrington...

One of the things that helps this kid, are his poise, maturity and leadership qualities, I think.

Of course, if he can't play, they mean squat. But, they mean a lot, if he turns out to be good. The upside on this guy is high. Still, I think the risk may be too big, for him to be a good choice for the Bills.

I think the pure talent on this kid scream for him to be drafted - and in a different way than Gholston, who had to be schemed to get sacks. Maybin has that, the first step and the burst to close. The problem is rolling the dice, but for us, a pass rusher isn't going to help this year anyhoo except lowering the snaps Denney/Kelsay have to take as starters. If we put Maybin at Will Linebacker and rush him on Pass downs, he's two players in one. And at Penn State, he's already had to rush from a 2 and 3 point stance.

I think the pure talent on this kid scream for him to be drafted - and in a different way than Gholston, who had to be schemed to get sacks. Maybin has that, the first step and the burst to close. The problem is rolling the dice, but for us, a pass rusher isn't going to help this year anyhoo except lowering the snaps Denney/Kelsay have to take as starters. If we put Maybin at Will Linebacker and rush him on Pass downs, he's two players in one. And at Penn State, he's already had to rush from a 2 and 3 point stance.

I don't question any of that, and think you may be spot-on with your analysis of how Maybin might best help the Bills. But, I have to ask the question, "do you draft at guy at #11 who you have to convert to a position he hasn't played?"