Bemidji State makes Frozen Four

buckeyemike

Beating Notre Dame and Cornell back-to-back.

This may be a true rags-to-riches story. The Bemidji State Beavers are in the Frozen Four.

Their old conference (College Hockey America) is about to dissolve, although the Beavers may go to the WCHA. A good run to the Frozen Four certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm not sure anyone here knows anything about Bemidji. My dad's parents were from Northern Minnesota, and I still have relatives in the area. There are few areas of this country still so unspoiled. But even I don't know a whole lot about Bemidji. I know quite a bit more about the North Dakota Fightin' Sioux (and their beautiful arena), since my dad spent 9 years of his childhood in Grand Forks.

Still, I think it says something when a team can fly so well under the radar in this day and age. College hockey, although gaining in popularity over the past decade or so, isn't exactly March Madness.

EDIT: I checked out their media guide online...Bemidji State hockey has won 13 national titles at lower levels, the last coming in Division II in 1997. They have been D-I since the 1999-2000 season.

Only one team in that frozen four didn't fly under the radar. This has been, by far, the craziest tournament the NCAA has ever seen. Sure, Holy Cross over Minnesota was one thing, but this one was full of upsets and insanity:

-Two 4 seeds playing each other in the semis

-8 goals scored in the last minute of a game or OT

-Three 1 seeds falling in the first round

-UMD score 2 in the last 40 seconds and then wins in OT over Princeton

-UNH scores with 0.1 seconds left to force OT with North Dakota, winning it 45 seconds in

-Vermont scoring a goal in 2OT against Air Force, but no one realizing it until a review 10 minutes later

This tournament blows away the basketball tourney. Now if only ESPN could get their heads out of their asses and make it more readily available to the public, instead of burying it on ESPNU. Us college hockey fans don't ask for much. We can live with ESPN2. I was fortunate enough to be there for the BU-North Dakota-UNH-Ohio State regional, so I saw some incredible hockey. Thanks to ESPN though, most people missed out on most of what I listed above, plus so much more.

Anyway, I'm there for DC. This will be my 4th frozen four and they're always a great time. This is my superbowl.

According to an article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, this is a huge time for Bemidji State.

The WCHA reps are there this week. They also break ground for their new arena this Friday. And, of course, the Frozen Four next week (against Miami of Ohio, which is my brother's alma mater).

If the Beavers actually win the national championship, it could be the best Cinderella story in college sports since Chaminade over Virginia. From what I'm reading, it sounds like they can skate with anybody.

Congrats on going to DC, Shrader!

Really? That's my brother's alma mater as well. Class of 1989.

My brother was class of 1995.

And he's gonna wonder what a Bemidji is. :) I bet he doesn't remember it's located in Minnesota.

I think you have to love a team named the Beavers. :):thumbsup:

Just an awesome tourney so far, and it proves that winning the national championship is just so difficult. Notre Dame is a team that has been #1 or #2 almost all year, and they run into a buzzsaw in cinderella Bemidji st. I want to say that BU is going to cruise (well, I don't want to say that <_<), but I don't think any of the Frozen Four teams can be counted out right now. I've only been able to watch the UVM-Air Force game in its entirety, due to the traveling I'm currently doing, so I pray the Frozen Four (which I will be able to watch in its entirety) is as intense as the first 2 rounds. If you don't love college hockey after this tourney, I don't know what you want in a sport.

Just an awesome tourney so far, and it proves that winning the national championship is just so difficult. Notre Dame is a team that has been #1 or #2 almost all year, and they run into a buzzsaw in cinderella Bemidji st. I want to say that BU is going to cruise (well, I don't want to say that :thumbsup:), but I don't think any of the Frozen Four teams can be counted out right now. I've only been able to watch the UVM-Air Force game in its entirety, due to the traveling I'm currently doing, so I pray the Frozen Four (which I will be able to watch in its entirety) is as intense as the first 2 rounds. If you don't love college hockey after this tourney, I don't know what you want in a sport.

You'll appreciate this. Ok, maybe not 2/3rds of it. But wow, that is amazing. All 3 from the same conference and two from the same school? Unreal.

I'm pulling for Gilroy. What an incredible story he has been.

Bullpen, I wanted Air Force to win too, but that was no screw job.

Bullpen, I wanted Air Force to win too, but that was no screw job.

Okay let me rephrase that... the HANDLING of the goal was a major screw job! Let them play for two more minutes, then go back and review it for 12 minutes and then award a goal?

They should stop play right then and there and review it.

The question I have is wHat would have happened if AF would have gone down and scored what appears to be a game winner? Would they have reviewed Vermont's goal and said "Ooops, sorry AF, you guys actually lost because that goal before yours actually DID go in... can we get your Frozen Four hats back?"

The way the NCAA is handling reviews is horrible. It needs to be fixed after this latest debacle.

That's how it would go in any hockey game. They don't just stop play because they need a review. They have to wait for a whistle. If Air Force had scored, it would have been no different, but obviously that much more painful for them. I've seen it before, but never in a situation like this one. Of course, given everything that has happened in this tourney, I'm surprised that the first whistle wasn't a result of an Air Force goal. That would've fit right in with all the other craziness.

That's how it would go in any hockey game.

... and it's still the wrong way to do it, IMO. (and it's not because I work for AFA, I would feel this way regardless).

We obviously agree to disagree on this one.

... and it's still the wrong way to do it, IMO. (and it's not because I work for AFA, I would feel this way regardless).

We obviously agree to disagree on this one.

I take it that you think the play should be stopped immediately?