Trade Down With Philly or Detroit

Astrobot

Philly would like a Left Tackle out of this draft, and Buffalo is one of the trade partners that makes sense. Philly gets our #11, and we get their #21 and #28. DraftTek's Online Draft Simulator shows these resulting picks for both teams:

21 Buffalo Clay Matthews OLB43 USC

28 Buffalo Robert Ayers DE43 Tennessee

42 Buffalo Max Unger OG Oregon

75 Buffalo Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss

106 Buffalo Javon Ringer RB Michigan State

139 Buffalo Scott McKillop ILB Pittsburgh

170 Buffalo Clinton McDonald DT43 Memphis State

202 Buffalo Blake Schlueter OC TCU

11 Philadelphia Andre Smith OT Alabama

53 Philadelphia Patrick Chung SS Oregon

85 Philadelphia Travis Beckum TE Wisconsin

117 Philadelphia Tony Fiammetta FB Syracuse

145 Philadelphia Kaluka Maiava OLB43 USC

149 Philadelphia Curtis Taylor FS LSU

151 Philadelphia Domonique Johnson CB Jackson State

181 Philadelphia Frantz Joseph ILB Florida Atlantic

182 Philadelphia Dallas Reynolds OC BYU

The Detroit trade involves taking their #20 pick and the first pick in RD3 in exchange for our #11. That draft would look like this:

20 Buffalo Clay Matthews OLB43 USC

42 Buffalo Michael Johnson DE43 Georgia Tech

65 Buffalo Chase Coffman TE Missouri

75 Buffalo Andy Levitre OG Oregon State

106 Buffalo Rashad Jennings RBF Liberty

139 Buffalo Scott McKillop ILB Pittsburgh

170 Buffalo Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

202 Buffalo Jon Cooper OC Oklahoma

1 Detroit Aaron Curry OLB43 Wake Forest

11 Detroit Peria Jerry DT43 Mississippi

33 Detroit Josh Freeman QB Kansas St

82 Detroit Troy Kropog OT Tulane

161 Detroit Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina

179 Detroit Ian Campbell DE43 Kansas St

Which one is more likely? I think the Detroit trade, because they came closer to a draft that met their needs. Will it happen? Probably not, because if Peria Jerry is there at #11, I'd expect the Bills to take him; he's a good fit for OUR defense even if Raji is head and shoulders above all the DT's.

That Philly trade isn't realistic.

If Philadelphia stays where it is, they get none of the Top 5 Left Tackles. I don't expect them to give away both first rounders without an additional player in trade, likely a running back, tackle, safety, or tight end. We are not the likely trade partner for these.

In other news, the Orangemen will have early trouble today with the matchup zone of ASU, but come back to win.

If Philadelphia stays where it is, they get none of the Top 5 Left Tackles. I don't expect them to give away both first rounders without an additional player in trade, likely a running back, tackle, safety, or tight end. We are not the likely trade partner for these.

In other news, the Orangemen will have early trouble today with the matchup zone of ASU, but come back to win.

Good point about Philly Astrobot. Even though if I were in their position I probably wouldn't do it.

I wanted to get your thoughts on Jarron Gilbert.

I like him, he has lots of speed, strength, size and production. Some say he projects as a 3-4 end, others say he can play the role of a 4-3 end or tackle. At 6 foot 5 285lbs, 4.76 40, explosive 37 inch vertical (which shows burst), 22 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks, he seems to me to be equipped to play either role.

Could that extra player be Roscoe Parrish.

Astro, just for some point of reference, what does the Bills' draft look like with no trades?

11 Buffalo Brian Cushing OLB USC

42 Buffalo Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

75 Buffalo Chase Coffman TE Missouri

Round 4-7

FYI, Jarron Gilbert DE is drafted with the next pick in the 3rd Round by the J-E-T-S. Our Big Board has Gilbert as #78 in the draft, and the Jets took him at #76.

Could that extra player be Roscoe Parrish.

I think Tennessee Titans or Indianapolis Colts.

A HYPOTHETICAL trade would be to the Colts for their RD3#92 pick, almost exactly the point where we think Lawrence Sidbury Jr. DE will be drafted.

I think Tennessee Titans or Indianapolis Colts.

A HYPOTHETICAL trade would be to the Colts for their RD3#92 pick, almost exactly the point where we think Lawrence Sidbury Jr. DE will be drafted.

Third sounds awfully optimistic in my view. If that would be the case, I'd take it in a heartbeat. However, if that were to play out, I do believe that the Colts would be able to make a lot better use of Parrish as a WR than we have. Specially now that Marvin is most likely going to be gone, and Gonzalez most likely moving to the 2 WR spot, that would create an opening at the slot.

Philly is not as desperate for a LT as some people think. There is talk locally of moving Herremans from LG to LT and starting Max Jean-Gilles at LG. Im sure they will still draft a lineman early because Andy Reid loves drafting lineman and they could still get a good tackle in the 20's but I just dont see them trading up to 11

I would like to see the Bills stay where they are and somehow still get Everette Brown

The problem is, many experts see a lot of teams wanting to trade down not up. It is the cost of rookie contracts in the top 15 picks. They say, that many teams will not be getting great offers for their picks. Experts see a lot of value with picks 16 to 32 this year. There may be more action in round 2 since there is a lot of good players to pick from this year

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/15/...ft-trade-chart/

the above trade chart shows the value of draft picks...

The Bills pick is worth 1320 points

Detroits #20 = 980

Detroits #33 = 570

Philly's #21 = 925

Philly's #53 = 370

I f we trade with Detroit it would be for #20 and a swap of 2nd rd picks and maybe a 4th rd pick

If we trade with Philly it would be for #21, #53, and maybe a 6th pick...

that is as good as it would get