Jaurons comment on Hangartner

abqmarko

Not knocking Hangartner and his potential, but the fact is Hangartner was a backup C-OG on a good line and backed up 2nd round pick Ryan Kalil. While Kalil is a good young center he is not in the league of a Nick Mangold, who was taken the same year. This years crop of centers may be the best in the last 10 plus years and there are at least 2-3 that may equal or exceed Mangolds level. The fact is that there are several solid center options that should be available in the second round, equal to Mangold, who is a superior center to Kalil. In the most recent discussion of Hangartner, Jauron stated that they wanted a veteran, experienced center to start this year. I hope this doesnt mean we miss on this years crop, especially with the AFC East beast nose tackles. Best case scenario draft wise is to pickup Alex Mack or Eric Wood in the second round-they could start at C/OG and have tons of upside. BOTTOM LINE: Draft one of the top two centers this year and we should have a stud in the middle of the line for the next ten years and have a Center that will outperform the Center who started ahead of Hangartner.

Not knocking Hangartner and his potential, but the fact is Hangartner was a backup C-OG on a good line and backed up 2nd round pick Ryan Kalil. While Kalil is a good young center he is not in the league of a Nick Mangold, who was taken the same year. This years crop of centers may be the best in the last 10 plus years and there are at least 2-3 that may equal or exceed Mangolds level. The fact is that there are several solid center options that should be available in the second round, equal to Mangold, who is a superior center to Kalil. In the most recent discussion of Hangartner, Jauron stated that they wanted a veteran, experienced center to start this year. I hope this doesnt mean we miss on this years crop, especially with the AFC East beast nose tackles. Best case scenario draft wise is to pickup Alex Mack or Eric Wood in the second round-they could start at C/OG and have tons of upside. BOTTOM LINE: Draft one of the top two centers this year and we should have a stud in the middle of the line for the next ten years and have a Center that will outperform the Center who started ahead of Hangartner.

Maybe you take one in the second or third round but I do not see the wisdom of a center @ #11. DE or DT are likely to be better picks that high and more of an urgent need at this point in time.

Maybe you take one in the second or third round but I do not see the wisdom of a center @ #11. DE or DT are likely to be better picks that high and more of an urgent need at this point in time.

I totally agree with you-If one of the top two or three they target last until 11 grab them if not try and trade down and get another 2nd rounder-on that basis top two rounds

#11-Trade down for the 22nd pick

#22-Cushing, Maybin, maybe Ayers

2nd round-CENTER-Alex Mack or Eric Wood

2nd-off trade-TE Casey, DE Barwin

A center from the draft is going to get himself and TE killed. He isn't going to have the experience or feel for the speed of the NFL, which every drafted player says is the hardest thing to get acclimated to. Boo hiss.

It's llikely that both Luigs (Arkansas) and Caldwell (Alabama) are there in the 3rd when we pick.

To me, this will be a make-or-break pick, because also there could be Casey, Nelson, and Coffman (TE), Levitre (OG), and McBath (FS).

Astro. Let me just tell you if Southerland is there in the 7th round this kid is a gamer. I have not seen a fullback block like him in a longtime. Night and day for UGAs ground game last year when he was in there. And very good at passblocking as well. If the Bills really want a fullback he is a stud. Did get dinged up some his senior year. But watched him play against SEC defensive front sevens and was great.

"Why the long face?" asked the cowboy of his horse.

I don't find it surprising at all that in a year when the draft is the deepest it has been in decades at the C position, the Bills brain trust went out & signed another team's backup and plays the "experience" card. Who wouldn't rather have a guy that was a decent backup and did OK when his former team had to go to him as opposed to a stud that could anchor the line for a decade? I mean it's like you could have Tuten Reyes or Steve Hutchinson -- of course, you'd chose Reyes every time because he might be great some day. :thumbsup:

Astro. Let me just tell you if Sutherland is there in the 7th round this kid is a gamer. I have not seen a fullback block like him in a longtime. Night and day for UGAs ground game last year when he was in there. And very good at passblocking as well. If the Bills really want a fullback he is a stud. Did get dinged up some his senior year. But watched him play against SEC defensive front sevens and was great.

Brannan is the reason that Moreno had GAPING holes to run through down in GA. He is a beast at FB for sure. He also has pretty good hands out of the backfield when they chucked it his way, which wasn't often. He could be our version of Darryl Johnston reincarnate. I don't see him making it to the 7th though. I think he'll go off the board as early as the 5th.

I personally would like a guy that has played some in the NFL and shown he can perform. And just because he was a back up last year doesn't always mean a guy is a scrub. The Falcons were able to get Micheal Turner last year from S.D. And he turned out to be pretty damn good. He had shown when given the opportunity he could perform while in S.D and when he became a free agent his current team could not afford to carry that much payroll at the same position. So he signed elsewhere. Exactly what happened here. Carolina could not afford to have that much money tied up in the Oline so they had to let Hangartner get paid elsewhere.

Very well thought out post. This is a great draft for centers and if we don't tkae one in round 2 or 3 it will be a total waste. I say trade down from 11 where either Stafford or Sanchez will be available and pick the best available DE or LB later in the first round. If you pick up an extra third then you can get another guard or tight end.

PS They should sign Yabouty to a two year extension and frickin pay Peters!!! They trade him and they are dea to me.....