I really think that DT Shaun Rogers could be had in a trade.

The rift between him and Mangini appears to be widening. At one point Rogers asked for his release and the relationship is definitely fractured, especially since Rogers is refusing to show up at Cleveland's offseason workout program. There is plenty to debate that could make this a possibility. Now that Buffalo has seen the recognition it received by making a splash with signing TO, they may want to really make a push to put this team firmly in contention this year.

Marcus Stroud is no spring chicken and the time to utilize this investment is now. Drafting a DT in this year's draft may not prove to be enough. If the Bills have to use their 1st rd pick on one would only limit their resources to address other areas of need. If they use a pick after the 1st rd it would take longer to develope the prospect to compliment Stroud.

Rogers is due a guaranteed a 5 million bonus on March 31. That's a big investment for someone who doesn't want to be there. Rogers just may be willing to be flexible on terms due to his desire to get out of Cleveland. The Browns gave up their 3rd rder and CB Leigh Bodden in a trade to Detroit for Rogers. I wouldn't think that the compensation would be insurmountable to obtain him in a trade.

In a salary cap move I think that a combination of either Roscoe Parrish or John McCargo and/or a draft pick could be something that would be fair compensation. I'm not smart enough to figure out exactly what it would take but I believe that any of them would be possible components for a trade. Parrish is going to cost 2.5 million this year and another $500,000.00 as a roster bonus if he's still on the team. It's no secret that the Bills tried to trade McCargo and that fell apart. It's kind of like Denver/Cutler, it's just a matter of time before a team separates from a player that's not wanted. As far as a draft pick for compensation, we are in the early part of each rd and it would be a lucrative pick, especially if it's coupled with one of the above players.

Trading for Rogers isn't fulfilling the DE position but it would most definitely compliment it. Crushing the middle of a team's offensive pocket would sure make our DEs much more effective. Rogers might have caught the Bills' attention when we played against Cleveland and if so I believe that this could be a viable trade to consider.

I also think that if this were to happen it would make our 1st rd pick much more fluid. The last few years fans have been clamoring for the Bills to build their lines on both side s of the ball. Trading for someone like Rogers pretty much makes us solid up the middle and eliminates forcing us from having to take a DE at #11. Several of the projected prospects at DE are slated anywheres from where we pick to as far as the early 2nd rd. I would love for us if we selected OL Michael Oher at #11 once the middle of our defense got fortified.

There is no reason Buffalo couldn't trade back late into the 1st rd and still get viable DE if that were the desire. Having Rogers and Stroud in the middle, Oher as a young OL and drafting someone along the lines of a Maybin-Ayers-Johnson would be a very successful off season to me. What do you think?

I really think you could have put this in the Rogers thread.

Well, while I was writing this the Rogers thread was posted unbeknown to me. There's nothing that I can do about it. If the mods want to merge it then so be it but I can't.

The rift between him and Mangini appears to be widening. At one point Rogers asked for his release and the relationship is definitely fractured, especially since Rogers is refusing to show up at Cleveland's offseason workout program. There is plenty to debate that could make this a possibility. Now that Buffalo has seen the recognition it received by making a splash with signing TO, they may want to really make a push to put this team firmly in contention this year....

There is no reason Buffalo couldn't trade back late into the 1st rd and still get viable DE if that were the desire. Having Rogers and Stroud in the middle, Oher as a young OL and drafting someone along the lines of a Maybin-Ayers-Johnson would be a very successful off season to me. What do you think?

I like your line of reasoning. I think Rogers and Stroud in the middle would be awesome... remember the late 1990's when we had Pat Williams and Ted Washington stuffing the middle of the d-line? Phil Hansen never looked so good. I can't believe that the Bills are done trying to do something else to shore up this team. Terrell Owens alone does not make this team a playoff contender, in my opinion.

One question though, why do you think that Roscoe Parrish is trade bate? Has there been speculation that he might be traded? I know we have an overabundance of good NFL return men, and second tier receivers, but do you think (and I am asking this seriously, not being a smart ass!) Parrish has any trade value? I have not been impressed with his hands all in all, but I actually think, with Owens in the lineup, it will give the Bills the opportunity to be a little more creative with Parrish.

Like the idea Tipster, but since the 5 mil is guaranteed, I don't think that would matter for them much cap wise. It's already on the books for them to pay regardless of a trade. As far as McCargo and Parrish, I think they love Parrish too much (especially after extending him modestly last off-season). McCargo they might trade, but I think under Sanders he may be in a situation (assuming his back heals) to flourish.

We would have to trade for him before the roster bonus and then pay it ourselves. He would cost 8.4 million this year. There is no way they would take a 5 mil cap and cash hit and then trade him. I like the idea of two guys in the middle though, and it would almost be worth it. The problem would be Stroud making 3 mil and playing right next to him. Stroud would immediately want more money, IMO.

I like your line of reasoning. I think Rogers and Stroud in the middle would be awesome... remember the late 1990's when we had Pat Williams and Ted Washington stuffing the middle of the d-line? Phil Hansen never looked so good. I can't believe that the Bills are done trying to do something else to shore up this team. Terrell Owens alone does not make this team a playoff contender, in my opinion.

One question though, why do you think that Roscoe Parrish is trade bate? Has there been speculation that he might be traded? I know we have an overabundance of good NFL return men, and second tier receivers, but do you think (and I am asking this seriously, not being a smart ass!) Parrish has any trade value? I have not been impressed with his hands all in all, but I actually think, with Owens in the lineup, it will give the Bills the opportunity to be a little more creative with Parrish.

I think that Parrish is expendable for a few reasons. First, we have an abundance at the WR position. Signing TO allows Hardy to heal and learn. Reed really showed something last year, especially in the leadership dept. He is very effective in the slot and that is the only spot on offense that Parrish can compete at.

Secondly is the salary cap. Parrish is due 2.5 million and another $500,000.00 in a roster bonus. Do we really need him at this price? I wouldn't think that just trading him for a draft pick would be great compensation for us but using him to move up in the draft or in a trade coupled with a draft pick for a veteran player or for a much better pick should net us our best compensation. To answer your question about him being speculated in a trade the answer is yes but really just by fans. I must say though, it is viable for this to happen. Parrish does have value but to the right team. I can see Seattle having interest, due to the fact that they just lost Bobby Ingram (another slot receiver) to KC. There was an overtone that KC might be interested but now that they got Ingram I'm sure that that point is mute. I suggest Seattle because I believe between injury and salary Deion Branch could be a casualty but even if he's not they just signed HoushWhateverHisNameIs. This leaves nate Burleson in the slot AND returning punts. Enter Roscoe Parrish. Now, I did read today that Branch and Burleson are going to be the #1 and #2 receiver and Housh going to the slot but I don't believe it, it doesn't make sense. I will mention this, keep your eye on Jordan Kent. He's a young receiver that they drafted a couple of years back and he's afreak! He didn't play football in college until his last year or two but he's an athlete and was a real basketball star. The other team who COULD have interest in someone like Parrish is Cleveland. Now, I am taking a shot at it but they did just have this whole Donte Stallworth thing blow up in their face, reportedly disgruntled with Braylon Edwards and just released Joe Jurivious. They do have a guy named Steptoe who I don't know much about but they do seem to be in need or are looking to revamp their offensive weapons. Once again, I'm guessing at this. More importantly though this gives them a fair opportunity to recoup their investment from Rogers and still address a need. I don't think that this relationship (Rogers-Mangini-Cleveland) is going to improve. McCargo may have value. he worked very hard in the off season on his bulging disk and Kollar is gone. He might be a big surprise this year, who knows. Cleveland gave a 3rd rd pick and CB Leigh Bodden for Rogers. I think that we can compensate them and not strip ourselves of important resources like first day picks.

Getting TO and trading for Rogers are 2 very different things. Trading for Rogers is not going to force the Bills to extend the hours of the season ticket box office, and they won't get over loaded with orders for Rogers Jersey at the Bills store. Trading for Rogers might help the defence more, but it won't attract anymore attention to the team from the media then any other FA the Bills signed this offseason.

Getting TO and trading for Rogers are 2 very different things. Trading for Rogers is not going to force the Bills to extend the hours of the season ticket box office, and they won't get over loaded with orders for Rogers Jersey at the Bills store. Trading for Rogers might help the defence more, but it won't attract anymore attention to the team from the media then any other FA the Bills signed this offseason.

Sure it would. Rogers made the Pro Bowl last year. Adding him after adding TO would definitely have people talking even more than before.

Like the idea Tipster, but since the 5 mil is guaranteed, I don't think that would matter for them much cap wise. It's already on the books for them to pay regardless of a trade. As far as McCargo and Parrish, I think they love Parrish too much (especially after extending him modestly last off-season). McCargo they might trade, but I think under Sanders he may be in a situation (assuming his back heals) to flourish.

I think that Rogers might be willing to negotiate and terms could work out. I think that the signing of TO is one of these kind of benefits. Between being disgruntled in Cleveland/Mangini, having played under Jauron and seeing TO coming here happily (so far) might change Rogers' mind about the money and coming here. Remember, it was rumored that he didn't want to come here when Cleveland signed him. I don't know if any of you remembered when we signed Stroud but I went off the chain with a big time rant. I since retracted it and apologized about it but it was because I really felt that Rogers was the guy for us.

We would have to trade for him before the roster bonus and then pay it ourselves. He would cost 8.4 million this year. There is no way they would take a 5 mil cap and cash hit and then trade him. I like the idea of two guys in the middle though, and it would almost be worth it. The problem would be Stroud making 3 mil and playing right next to him. Stroud would immediately want more money, IMO.

Once again I think that there might be a good chance that that could be worked out. keep in mind that Parrish is going to get paid $1 million + $1.5 million "signing" bonus + $500,000 roster bonus for this year. Rogers is only scheduled to be paid $2.4 million for this year. It's this guaranteed bonus of $5 million that needs to get worked out. Btw, Stroud is going to get $3.5 million this year.

Wins translates to revenue and media, that's what Rogers would bring. I mentioned the TO thing because it does have an effect on how players view coming to Buffalo now. That signing alone could make a difference in Rogers' thinking.

I'm almost thinking that Buffalo might be better off signing some of these disgruntled star players who are either misunderstood or haven't fit in with other franchises. As long as there isn't legal problems with these players then I see no problem in accumalating a few key players. They may feel like they have something to prove and play their @$$e$ off even more. Gather enough misfit toys and they're going to make some children happy. Why not us, we're never happy.

Wins translates to revenue and media, that's what Rogers would bring. I mentioned the TO thing because it does have an effect on how players view coming to Buffalo now. That signing alone could make a difference in Rogers' thinking.

I'm almost thinking that Buffalo might be better off signing some of these disgruntled star players who are either misunderstood or haven't fit in with other franchises. As long as there isn't legal problems with these players then I see no problem in accumalating a few key players. They may feel like they have something to prove and play their @$$e$ off even more. Gather enough misfit toys and they're going to make some children happy. Why not us, we're never happy.

Jerry Jones in Dallas already tried this approach and it hasn't helpedhis team much on the field

Wins can translate to revenue, and Rogers might help them win a couple games. but that effect won't be felt until later in the year. Right now, signing Rogersisn't going to have people running to the box office or to the Bills store for Jerseys. How many Stroud Jerseys do you see being worn around Buffalo? Heck, how many Jason Peters Jerseys do you see being worn? The Bills knew that bringing in TO would spark a huge interest in the team and bring some interest to the team as sales dropped, so they made a deal to bring him in just long enough to get ticket sales up for this year, and to get people to spend money on merchandise. They team isn't close enough talent wise to be a serious SB contender with or without TO, and adding him makes them possible playoff contenders. If they were a WR away from being a SB team, this would have been a football move. But they are not close to that yet, its a pure PR/marketing move. Rogers is not a marketable player and is not a name guy to the majority of fans.