(OT) Stocks question

rolly

I'm posting this here because no one is around on the other board.

I'm not very educated or experienced in the stock exchange area however:

Howard Stern is moving to satellite radio, and this will obviously draw many people to purchase satellite radio.

so here's my question:

Once he does switch to satellite radio or shortly before, do you think it would be a good move to buy some stock in some satellite radio companies? (ex: Sirius)

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Sirius will run out of cash 4 times over by the time Stern gets there unless someone buys their company out or invests 2 billion extra into them. 10% of Stern listeners will have to be subscribers just to pay for his salary and show.

XM is a safer bet, because they have a better structure and current business.

Many people have asked that question and I say I wouldn't chance buying Sirius. I think there is a lot of hype and they are more likely to go out of business than make you a bunch of money. But if they survive, you can make a few bucks. It's like drafting McGahee....you have to wait almost 2 years to see if he'll make it, and you don't know if his knee will hold up over time.

I'm betting Stern knows a little more about Sirius' long-term viability than any of us are privy to, seeing as it's such a huge move for him to make, and since he's no dummy. I also doubt he tanks the company with salary demands since his move there is less about money than it is about artistic freedom. But again, that's why it's a gamble.

I think you would be wise to make a move in that area. XM is in the low 30's and Sirius is just below 4 (that appears to be a nice buy). There is always a downside. Be careful. Do some research. Look at price to earnings ratios and market caps. Don't put all your money in one or the other. Take a look around and see who else is out there. Personally, I see this as a growth industry. Also, if Bush wins, you'll see a continued crackdown by the FCC on obscenity and perhaps, more people and talent willing to move to that medium. Also, try to see if this is going to be something that is offered as a standard in new cars in the future. My most important piece of advice is to only invest the money you are willing to possibly lose and do not margin. Good luck.

-------------------

Go Bills

I'm posting this here because no one is around on the other board.

Howard Stern is moving to satellite radio, and this will obviously draw many people to purchase satellite radio.

so here's my question:

Once he does switch to satellite radio or shortly before, do you think it would be a good move to buy some stock in some satellite radio companies? (ex: Sirius)

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

97756[/snapback]

Do more research. Buying a stock because a radio personality is switching is not smart. Real market watchers knew about this months ago so the adjustment has been made.

Look at mutual funds. Fool.com has some good information on rookie investors. Diversification is key, or if you have enough money a managed account. I'd suggest either educating yourself more or consulting a professional you can trust.

Do more research. Buying a stock because a radio personality is switching is not smart. Real market watchers knew about this months ago so the adjustment has been made.

I don't see how anyone outside of insiders had any inkling of this move, much less to Sirius, much less months ago. And my investment is for the long-term, so the short-term adjustments don't bother me too much.

I don't see how anyone outside of insiders had any inkling of this move, much less to Sirius, much less months ago.  And my investment is for the long-term, so the short-term adjustments don't bother me too much.

97824[/snapback]

Well, it's your money. Stern himself has been talking about this for quite some time. You might want to do some research before buying stock on a whim. Learn from other people's mistakes.

Are they profitable? Do they pay a dividend? How much debt do they have? What is their install base compared to their competition? Who else holds the stock in large numbers?

If you can't answer these questions, you have no reason to buy the stock. To buy stock because howard stern is moving to them is idiotic.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SIRI&d=t

No PE-they are not making $ in otherwords. Their price to sales is 103 which is very high. Your purchase would be pure speculation. It is good to buy what you know but you must know the company well. What is the competition? Hows the balance sheet? What are potential problems-ie Satellite falling out of orbit, meteor or aurora borealis damage possibilitys, etc? Have their been insider sales? What is the growth plan? Etc, etc- you get the idea

The chart does not look good if you subscribe to Technical Analysis-

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=SIRI

According to the chart there most likely will be a better buying opportunity. There is lots to investing so do your due dilligence before forking over hard earned cash! I am intriqued by Satellite radio companys myself but have much to learn

XMSR lost $340M during that time period.

97836[/snapback]

Worldcom lost more then Global Crossing. Just because you lost less money then your competitor does not mean you are a better company or that you make a solid investment

EDIT- XMSR has a higher general buy consensus then SIRI

Well, it's your money. Stern himself has been talking about this for quite some time. You might want to do some research before buying stock on a whim. Learn from other people's mistakes.

Are they profitable? Do they pay a dividend? How much debt do they have? What is their install base compared to their competition? Who else holds the stock in large numbers?

If you can't answer these questions, you have no reason to buy the stock. To buy stock because howard stern is moving to them is idiotic.

I agree. It started off as a "whim" once the move was announced, and I did my research and made my move. We'll see how it turns out, but I didn't use money I couldn't afford to lose.

Then don't start playing around. Chances are you'll get burned.

If you are young, put every penny you can into your 401k, put your $3,000 each year into your IRA and you'll probably never have to worry (as long as you don't touch it).

Think about index funds - they beat over 80% of actively managed mutual funds.

Wow, I saw this thread and I was already puffing our my chest at the chance to endow the author with some solid investing advice. Then I read the response and realize (yet again) that this forum is filled with some very well-informed folks. You'd do well to heed the advice from these guys.

AD quoted Peter Lynch. I would suggest you pick up a copy of "One up on Wall Street". It was published in 1989, but his assertions are as valid today as ever. If after reading that you're still in the mood to do some stock picking, read "Reminisces of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre. That one was written in the 20s. It's based on the life of the 'notorious' short-seller Jesse Livermore. It's a great read.

Basically you should come away with the notion that you shouldn't invest in a company unless you really know the ins and outs of that particular business.

Otherwise you may as well bet the Bills' games. They're getting 1 1/2 right now! :D

Wow, I saw this thread and I was already puffing our my chest at the chance to endow the author with some solid investing advice.  Then I read the response and realize (yet again) that this forum is filled with some very well-informed folks.  You'd do well to heed the advice from these guys.

AD quoted Peter Lynch.  I would suggest you pick up a copy of "One up on Wall Street".  It was published in 1989, but his assertions are as valid today as ever.  If after reading that you're still in the mood to do some stock picking, read "Reminisces of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre.  That one was written in the 20s.  It's based on the life of the 'notorious' short-seller Jesse Livermore.  It's a great read.

Basically you should come away with the notion that you shouldn't invest in a company unless you really know the ins and outs of that particular business. 

Otherwise you may as well bet the Bills' games.  They're getting 1 1/2 right now!  :D

97925[/snapback]

Great books. Some of my other favorites are:

William ONeil-How to Make Money in Stocks

Alan Farley-Master Swing Trader

Benjamin Grahm-The Intelligent Investor

Mark Douglas-The Disclipined Trader

Alan Elder-Trading For a Living

John Murphy-The Visual Investor

Steve Nison-Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques and Beyond Candlesticks

Curtis Arnold-Timing the Market

Victor Sperandeo-Methods of a Wall Street Master

Charting the Market- The Wyckoff Method

Beating the Street-Peter Lynch

Lots of those are trading books but Benjamin Graham is the master invester IMO. He is Warren Buffets hero which says alot