Derek Fine...

I don't completely understand the obsession with Scheffler. With two actual weapons at receiver and two running backs that know how to run and catch and two good to better than average slot receivers, isn't there a strong possibility that Derek Fine will be...fine? He should get more opportunities as a check down if nothing else. With Royal gone I would think he would have a decent year for a tight end.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may actually want to score and force teams to gameplan versus them just finding Peters on the line and running past him to kill Trent. The chances of a Winning season would be raised by scoring more points as well and time of possession never hurts.

I don't completely understand the obsession with Scheffler. With two actual weapons at receiver and two running backs that know how to run and catch and two good to better than average slot receivers, isn't there a strong possibility that Derek Fine will be...fine? He should get more opportunities as a check down if nothing else. With Royal gone I would think he would have a decent year for a tight end.

I think the obsession with Scheffler stems from a proven TE that will be one more facet of game planning that DC's have to contend with. It just leaves more options available for our offense as a whole. The WR's & RB's are in pretty good shape to say the least, but with a TE who has good hands and can work the seam, the possibilities increase a fair amount.

We may actually want to score and force teams to gameplan versus them just finding Peters on the line and running past him to kill Trent. The chances of a Winning season would be raised by scoring more points as well and time of possession never hurts.

TOP is dumb with us if we do what we did last year, go all the way down to the redzone, eat up 8 mins on the clock, throw and int in the endzone, get the ball back, bring it down to the goal line, and miss a FG that is on the 1 yrd line :lol:

Depth. Fine is only going into his second year. He needs to learn and watch a veteran (and thank god that veteran won't be Robert Roayl). Plus, he's not a player that can - yet - stretch the defense. If we do get Scheffler (which is very dubious at this point), it will be a significant upgrade.

Are you that afraid of talent that you don't want a good receiving te and would be happy going in with derek fine? The more talent we put on offense the better.

People accept fine as the answer, I want a divine offense.

I've always said that if TE is going to be our first priority in the draft then we should try to use that #11 overall to get Owen Daniels. I think that Daniels is better than Scheffler, but TS is a good receiving TE that would come cheaper.

Scheffler is not worth a 2nd. In the same token Owen Daniels isn't worth a top 15 pick. The only te who would've been worth that decided to stay at Oklahoma for another year. However Scheffler would add a truly viable target to the offense, something Buffalo has been lacking for a very long time. I dont know about the rest of you, but it would be nice to have playmakers who actually get open and score touchdowns, help in the redzone, and short yardage. I dont see this fascination with Derek Fine, or Schouman. Although Schouman at this time, has more upside then Fine It reminds me when people thought Tim Euhus would be the answer at te. Instead of being content with garbage and mediocrity we have a hope for players who are ya know good?

It has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. Fine nor Schoumann really got much of a chance last year playing behind butter fingers Royal.

I understand wanting proven talent. However, proven talent started out as unproven rookies and second year players. If every team only takes proven talent, the draft is not needed and there is nobody to become the next proven talent.

I just feel that there are more pressing needs than tight end at the moment. I understand everyone wants a strong, seemingly flashy offense, but what good does it do if the defense can't stop the other team?

For that matter, Scheffler played in offense that was very productive. They could plug running backs in that they found on the street and be successful. Where did that get them?