This is how someone with class negotiates a new deal

Fingon

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison will be present as the Super Bowl champions open their offseason workout program Monday despite unresolved contractual issues, his agent said.

"Yes, James will be there," agent Bill Parise said of the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year.

Both sides remain in constant talks, so there was no need for Harrison to miss the session, according to Parise, as it could lead to unwarranted tension.

Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful but far apart.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said last month.

Harrison, 30, is coming off a year in which he recorded 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh.

He made a salary of $1.2 million last season, making him one of the league's best bargains.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=39...&type=story

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty easy to have friendly smiley face negotiations when you're winning super bowls.

I don't think that's it. You can take two approaches to these things. Compete or cooperate. Cooperation usually brings about a better result. If one side decides to compete, then the other side is usually forced to compete as well and that's when progress often grinds to a halt.

And what do you suppose would have happened if there was 3 years left on Harrisons contract(instead of 1) and the Steelers said to him "We are not re-negotiating your deal this year."?

...and, furthermore, if the the contract he signed was when he was only a ST player?

Its pretty easy to have friendly smiley face negotiations when you're winning super bowls.

Sounds similar to what it was like when Lee Evans got his new deal/extension. He never bitched/moaned, held out-he came in and gave 100% in both practice and games. I don't recall too many Superbowls that he has won. This posts in pretty accurate.

And what do you suppose would have happened if there was 3 years left on Harrisons contract(instead of 1) and the Steelers said to him "We are not re-negotiating your deal this year."?

I'll answer: he would be holding out just like Peters.

Harrison's situation is more like Evans than Peters. Harrison is set to become a FA next offseason, so they have this whole year to get a contract worked out.

You are wrong there, he renegotiated when he became a starting lineman. He wants a new deal every other year, it is getting old.

:lol: :lol:

It was an analogy.

Peters is playing starting LEFT guard, on a right guard's contract.

I don't think that's it. You can take two approaches to these things. Compete or cooperate. Cooperation usually brings about a better result. If one side decides to compete, then the other side is usually forced to compete as well and that's when progress often grinds to a halt.

It takes 2 sides to cooperate. The Bills and Peters are talking this year, Peters has not missed any OTAs, yet.

He is actually a Tackle and has been for a few years.

Indeed...nice catch (what a horrible brain fart, on my part).

Still, my point is, he signed his contract when he was playing a different, less lucrative position. When players switch positions, and end up starting at more valuable, and lucrative, positions, they get new contracts. At least they should.

i lost all respect for james harrison in the super bowl. he is a dirty player and i could care less what he does in workouts.

The player that harrison hit blocked low at his knees. Harrison didn't take kindly to that. I don't blame him at all.

Indeed...nice catch (what a horrible brain fart, on my part).

Still, my point is, he signed his contract when he was playing a different, less lucrative position. When players switch positions, and end up starting at more valuable, and lucrative, positions, they get new contracts. At least they should.

Dean,

I believe the point was that Peters should have shown his displeasure to the Bills through his agent regarding the contract but should have come to the Training camp instead of holding out. That is what Lee Evans did and he got an extension. May be Peters would have got his extension last year if he had shown good faith and showed up for a team.

The teams that win big like the Patriots and Steelers understand the business side and know that you give some to be a good team. A couple of years ago Hines Ward held out a portion of the off season but did not dictate that he needs to be the highest paid WR. The same with Tom Brady when he negotiated a below market deal when Manning was getting 19M.

Peters needs to get a gut check and show that he is a team player and everything will be taken care.

I remember, even in his final season Jim Kelly took a handshake deal with Wilson and walked into the locker room.