The NFL Draft in NYC

mrags

Good morning everyone.

Im going to the NFL Draft in NYC in April and never been before. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips/tricks that I should know before showing up.

• I am under the impression that tickets are first come first serve unless you have recieved tickets from attending the year before.
  • Can anyone tell me what time I should show up in line? My flight gets in Friday night around 7ish. Was anyone there last year that can tell me what time ppl started to show up in line?
  • Will they come out at any point at night and hand out tickets so that you dont wait outside all night?
  • What time do they pass out tickets?
  • I know the draft starts at 3pm, so will you be able to leave and come back before it starts after you recieve your tickets?
  • How is the seating arrangement once you enter? Do you just pick you seats? are there designated areas for certain teams fans?
  • How long will the first day last?
  • If I decide to go to the 2nd day of the draft what time does that start? What time do they offer the tickets for the next years draft so you dont have to wait in line?

Any other information that should be known would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I don't see anything on the nfl.com website, FAQ about attending the draft in person(Doesn't mean it isn't there, I just can't find it). That being said, there are several posters here who go to the draft every year and I am sure will be able to help you out with your questions.

I can get some more info and keep you posted. I do know the tickets are free and first come, first serve. I'll be at the draft this year also...

You should definitely make a pit stop at McFaddens on Saturday, which is an easy walk to Radio City. It's a blast on draft day (something like $25 all the wings and beer you can handle).

I can get some more info and keep you posted. I do know the tickets are free and first come, first serve. I'll be at the draft this year also...

You should definitely make a pit stop at McFaddens on Saturday, which is an easy walk to Radio City. It's a blast on draft day (something like $25 all the wings and beer you can handle).

Are you talking about going to McFaddens before, during, or after the draft?

That may be true. But its something that Id like to say Ive experienced. Thats why I'm trying to find out as much as possible to make it the best experience possible.

As long as you know what you're getting in to....I haven't been but most folks I talk to say its like watching paint dry.

We'll be throwing our 7th Annual NYCBBB tailgate party at McFadden's again, we usually pack the bar with Bills fans and have an all you can drink beer and eat wings special. Trust me, you'd have a better time there.

I went to McFaddens during the actual draft, rounds 1 and 2, but I think the deal runs for both days...tons of Bills fans. Visit the NYC Buffalo Bills Backers website closer to draft day and they will have more details.

From what I've heard on draft, is that it is essentially a free for all. Some people show up the night before to wait in line and are then given a bracelet so they can leave the line and come back. I do know that seating is General Admission, but not sure on any other details around the ticketing process. Someone else can prob help you out with more info that has been before.

Random question, but I don't suppose your name is Mike Reagan is it?

Are you talking about going to McFaddens before, during, or after the draft?

hey yeah i go every year...its alot closer to home then buffalo is actually lol....yes it is first come first serve...i usually show up around 10 or 11 the night before....in 07 i was right in front of the line and that was what determined what tickets u go....i ended up right next to the espn and nfl network booths....sat right next to aj hawk ..and hung out with joe thomas's aunt the whole time....she was crrrrazzzy and there representing him cuz he was on a fishing trip...last year i showed up a little late but still towards the front of the line....the problem last year was they just give out wristbands and its like 3 or 4 hours in between til the draft....from that point on....thats what determines ur seats...i unfortunately didnt know that last year and got back like half hour before we got let in and the line was lonnnnggg and ended up on the first balcony.....so for the best seats...show up early and when u get ur wristband get back in line...itll be worth the wait....no they do not surprise u and come and give tickets out....its a set time...like 7 or 8 i think....yes u can leave once u get ur wristbands and come back and get on line again...im hoping they give out tickets as 7 or 8 like they did in 07 so i dont have to get right back on line to get good seats...alot of the same team fans group up in there...especially the jets...very annoying they are....i was there when they had the longest first rd in draft history...i left as soon as we traded up and picked poz...theyve speeded up the draft so i cant give u a time....this year will be the first year im going to the second day....if u stay til the end of the 2nd day...they give u something so u dont have to wait in line the next year....time goes by quick in line tho....everyone hates the patriots so u can hear the boos from the end of the line...bills fans were actually the enterainment last year in line...one guy had tons of fake 100 dollar bills and we would place them on the ground across the street and watched people get their hopes up that they just got a free 100 dollars...and the whole line would laugh lol....reactions differed....some just laughed along while we got the great middle finger from others...great time tho....great atmosphere..and if u bring beer on line....do not leave it in the open.....ill be there....in my edwards home jersey...unless my TO jersey comes in before then....see ya at the DRAFT!!

Good morning everyone.

Im going to the NFL Draft in NYC in April and never been before. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips/tricks that I should know before showing up.

• I am under the impression that tickets are first come first serve unless you have recieved tickets from attending the year before.
  • Can anyone tell me what time I should show up in line? My flight gets in Friday night around 7ish. Was anyone there last year that can tell me what time ppl started to show up in line?
  • Will they come out at any point at night and hand out tickets so that you dont wait outside all night?
  • What time do they pass out tickets?
  • I know the draft starts at 3pm, so will you be able to leave and come back before it starts after you recieve your tickets?
  • How is the seating arrangement once you enter? Do you just pick you seats? are there designated areas for certain teams fans?
  • How long will the first day last?
  • If I decide to go to the 2nd day of the draft what time does that start? What time do they offer the tickets for the next years draft so you dont have to wait in line?

Any other information that should be known would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Suggestion...watch on TV

I went back in 2002 (picking Mike Williams #4 felt so good), back when it was in the MSG theatre, and can provide some pointers, although some things may have changed.

* I am under the impression that tickets are first come first serve unless you have received tickets from attending the year before.

Correct

* Can anyone tell me what time I should show up in line? My flight gets in Friday night around 7ish. Was anyone there last year that can tell me what time ppl started to show up in line?

I would show up as eary as possible Saturday morning. I showed up at about 7:00 Saturday morning, and was towards the end of the folks that they let in. There were definitely lots of people who had come right from the bars when they closed at 4. Not sure if it will be different now that they don't begin until 12.

* Will they come out at any point at night and hand out tickets so that you dont wait outside all night?

* What time do they pass out tickets?

We got tickets at about 11:00 if I remember correctly, but back then the draft began at noon.

* I know the draft starts at 3pm, so will you be able to leave and come back before it starts after you receive your tickets?

Don't know, sorry.

* How is the seating arrangement once you enter? Do you just pick you seats? are there designated areas for certain teams fans?

Back then, you could sit wherever you wanted.

* How long will the first day last?

I'm not sure if anyone really knows the answer to this, since the schedule and timing have changed.

* If I decide to go to the 2nd day of the draft what time does that start? What time do they offer the tickets for the next years draft so you dont have to wait in line?

Don't know what time the second day starts, but the tickets for next years draft aren't available until the very end of the second day (they offer them as an incentive to the faithful who stick around all day long.)

I've been thinking about attending again this year, but honestly it is a little like watching paint dry, unless it's drastically changed (and that year we picked 4th, so only had to wait an hour for the first pick, and about 6 hours til the second pick.) It's actually a little more exciting watching it on TV, where at least you get the benefit of the commentary from Berman, Kiper and crew.

Good luck.

Random question, but I don't suppose your name is Mike Reagan is it?

Close, but incorrect. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your insight, and it sounds like I should defenately check out McFaddens at some point while im there.

billsfan126

It sounds like alot of fun if you get there early, and just stay in line. and if you dont, you get shafted with the balcony seats that you can touch Jesus while sitting there. I think ill take your word for it and just stay in line the entire time to ensure a good viewing. We fly in at like 7pm as I said earlier. We will most likely be going to Lugers for dinner before we head over there. The waiting in line sounds like its mostly gonna suck. I bet its gonna feel like going out the night after Thanksgiving to Best Buy, or Circuit City(OOPS!) Is there much room inside for you to pack your belongings once you get in? Im just a little curious if i should be bringing my stuff with me or not. Since we will be waiting all night theres no reason to get a hotel that night I assume.

I thought about going, but an article talked me out of it.

You should wait in line the night before.

They hand out wristbands/or tickets at some point.

It is general admission, so you shouldnt leave the line even when you get your wristband.

I think I am better off going to the Bills' draft party or watch it on TV.

If you go, good luck and have fun.

I was there last year. You stand in line, get wrist bands, then have to line up again an hour or two later (for a ticket to get in). Might want to bring some Jack Daniels or something, it can be a long wait.

What time did you show up? Did you go the night before? or did you just show up really early the day of?

Any idea if you have to stay until the end of day 2 to recieve your voucher for the next year? or do they hand them out early? My flight leaves at like 7pm on Sunday, and just trying to see if I should even bother to go for day 2.

Thanks

What time did you show up? Did you go the night before? or did you just show up really early the day of?

Any idea if you have to stay until the end of day 2 to recieve your voucher for the next year? or do they hand them out early? My flight leaves at like 7pm on Sunday, and just trying to see if I should even bother to go for day 2.

Thanks

i showed up at 9 am (and still got in) but it was pretty dicey as people behind me did not get wristbands.

You have to stay until the end of day 2 to get your tickets for next year.

Here at the specials at McFadden's on Day 1 of the draft, just confirmed with the bar:

Draft Party Drink Specials from 1-8pm on Saturday:

$35 - All the draft beer you can drink and wings you can eat.

$25 - All the Bud/Bud Lite draft you can drink and wings you can eat.

$20 - All the pop you can drink and wings you can eat.

$1 off all mixed drinks.

Bar will be packed with Bills fans.

Last year was my first year of draft attendance. I went to McFadden's for Day 1 (and it was as good as advertised), and attended the draft on Day 2, so I can really only help you with Day 2 related stuff. Day 2 starts at 10am, and is no trouble to get into. I think I got there around 9am, but that was plenty early. If I recall correctly, they didn't let anyone in until around 9:30am, and the place didn't come close to filling up, so don't worry about being last in line. If you want a good seat on Day 2, you'll have to get there a few hours early, but otherwise, just make sure you get there before 10am. That's key, because here's how you get your free no-waiting ticket for next year's Day 1:

1.) When you enter Radio City Music Hall, there are a bunch of people handing out forms and yelling about "Day 2 Diehards." Make sure you get one of these forms. These people close up shop as soon as Day 2 starts, so make sure you're not late.

2.) Fill out the form (basic name, address, etc. stuff).

3.) For heaven's sake, don't lose the form! You can only get the form before the first pick of Day 2.

4.) After the last pick of the draft, there will be a bunch of people collecting the forms on your way out. Give them your form.

5.) Wait patiently for your Day 1 ticket to arrive. Mine still hasn't arrived, so it'll be a while.

Once you get inside, I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. I'm assuming you're pretty into the draft, and if so, it's really cool to walk into Radio City Music Hall and see the familiar podium, with both of the broadcast crews right there. The NFL also handles it really well. There are several giant screens with both ESPN's and NFL Network's broadcasts playing. They give you a mini AM radio, which you can use to tune in to either broadcast, so you don't really miss anything that the viewers at home get. And they give you a goodie bag with the aforementioned radio, a basic-but-not-horrible draft guide/scorecard (and a pen so you can write down who gets drafted when), and some assorted junk.

If you go on Day 2, I advise you to bring some stuff to keep you occupied, as it can really drag. I think last year ended around 7pm or so, so you're looking at something like 9 hours of being there. Lots of people brought backpacks, which I recommend. I saw a bunch of people with their laptops out, so I'm guessing that there's wifi in Radio City. I'd also recommend bringing your own food to Day 2, as the options inside Radio City are less than optimal.

All in all, I had a blast last year, and I'm psyched about hitting up Day 1 this year.

One thing I haven't read here that I heard elsewhere is that there's a possibility that the draft will be moved back one hour to 4 p.m. EST. The reason is that it would (more or less) push west coast coverage into prime time. I don't know if the final decision has been made yet.

Also I know someone on the board here who goes every year. I'm going to send him a message to check in on this thread and add whatever he thinks is missing or needs to be re-stated.