An interesting article

Thought this might be a refreshing respite from criticizing people we don't even know (both players and each other).

The article is about 10 yard split times and lists some of the split times from the combine and compares them to previous seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnRn...o&type=lgns

Here's some more 10 yard split times.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/view...c.php?p=6587664

A bit surprised by Michael Johnson's time. It was excellent. In the video I saw of him it looked like he might be more of a long strider with a nice finishing burst but I didn't see the initial quickness.

that makes me feel a little better about maybin if we take him. everyone has been trashing the weight he put on and how he was sluggish, but that 10 yard split is all the burst he needs to disrupt the backfield

That's a positive in Maybin's favor.

I also found Robert Ayers' 10 yard split. I really liked the film I saw on him and was disappointed to find out that his split is 1.66 which is considered pretty slow.

Well, it's just one way of many tools for evaluating but interesting nonetheless.

10 yd times is what every GM looks at for making a pic on interior Dlineman and Olineman. That plus bench production and technique from film. 10 yd time is so much more important to them then 40 yd times. Burst off the ball is what matters most. If a DE isn't quickl in his 10 yd time you dont want him as a high pick. You DE isn't the guy you want makeing a tackle 25 yds down the field. Instead a guy that can burst off the ball and blow by a O tackle is coveted .

10 yd times is what every GM looks at for making a pic on interior Dlineman and Olineman. That plus bench production and technique from film. 10 yd time is so much more important to them then 40 yd times. Burst off the ball is what matters most. If a DE isn't quickl in his 10 yd time you dont want him as a high pick. You DE isn't the guy you want makeing a tackle 25 yds down the field. Instead a guy that can burst off the ball and blow by a O tackle is coveted .

Take note of the comments on Connor Barwin, the DE/OLB from Cincinnati. He is an absolute beast in rushing the passer and has the quick first step/burst that is a key to success in the NFL. He was moved from TE to defense as a senior, so he is flying below the radar screen in most mock drafts. However, he has adequate size to play DE in a 4-3 scheme and consistently gets to the passer. He has huge upside as he gains experience and refines his technique. He could be a nice addition anywhere from round 2 to 4.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how current NFL players, say guys that have been in the league for three years would measure up? You might guess that their times would not be all that spectacular as age and the wear and tera of the NFL take their toll. Experieince, however is likely to overcome any loss of speed.

Data is just data that is why the draft is so hard to figure out.

I think we as Bills fans want a guy at 11 who'll step in and get 10-12 sacks in their rookie season. While that'd be nice, it's not realistic. Rushing the passer at the NFL level takes a lot more than speed.

That said, Maybin's 10 yard split time is something that seems to give him an edge on the other edge rushers. If he can maintain that speed and improve his strength, I think he'll be an excellent future RDE in the NFL.

I am a little skeptical of their timing method, although they have improved lately. The only reliable method is the fully electronic method with a starting gun.

The fastest 40 meter dash ever recorded with the correct olympic method was a 4.48 by Ben Johnson in 1988.

The ten meter speed is most indicative of upper body strength per pound.

Nice thread San Jose. Does anyone have a list of current nfl players 10-yard splits aside from what was given?

Here's some unofficials from 2005...it looks like the 20 and 10 yard splits follow the column with the 40 times.

http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2005_Combine.html

Very slim pickings. With all the hard-core NFL fans like us isn't it kind of amazing that this information is not pretty easily available?

It's not like we wouldn't be dipping stale bread crust into it and stuffing it down our gourds (and regurgitating it later).

I think we as Bills fans want a guy at 11 who'll step in and get 10-12 sacks in their rookie season. While that'd be nice, it's not realistic. Rushing the passer at the NFL level takes a lot more than speed.

That said, Maybin's 10 yard split time is something that seems to give him an edge on the other edge rushers. If he can maintain that speed and improve his strength, I think he'll be an excellent future RDE in the NFL.

Speed doesn't mean anything if you don't have any size whatsoever, otherwise they'd put DB's at DE. Look, Maybin may be a great 3-4 DE. But at 234 he can't be a 4-3 DE in the NFL, and it's pretty obvious he had trouble running at 249.

Here's some unofficials from 2005...it looks like the 20 and 10 yard splits follow the column with the 40 times.

http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2005_Combine.html

Very slim pickings. With all the hard-core NFL fans like us isn't it kind of amazing that this information is not pretty easily available?

You think it's bad now? I tried to look up this stuff back in '02 and you couldn't find ANYTHING. At least the Combine is televised now...

Speed doesn't mean anything if you don't have any size whatsoever, otherwise they'd put DB's at DE. Look, Maybin may be a great 3-4 DE. But at 234 he can't be a 4-3 DE in the NFL, and it's pretty obvious he had trouble running at 249.

You think it's bad now? I tried to look up this stuff back in '02 and you couldn't find ANYTHING. At least the Combine is televised now...

Well, @ 234, he's not really a great fit @ DE in a 3-4 defense. Now, as an edge rushing OLB in a 3-4, he may be a really good fit.

Take note of the comments on Connor Barwin, the DE/OLB from Cincinnati. He is an absolute beast in rushing the passer and has the quick first step/burst that is a key to success in the NFL. He was moved from TE to defense as a senior, so he is flying below the radar screen in most mock drafts. However, he has adequate size to play DE in a 4-3 scheme and consistently gets to the passer. He has huge upside as he gains experience and refines his technique. He could be a nice addition anywhere from round 2 to 4.

+1. Although I'll be very surprised if Barwin last past the early part of the 3rd round. I'm guessing he'll go somewhere in the 2nd.