BJ Raji

Ok so let me ask you this. Has "our scheme" been succesful? Stroud is a large guy too. And McCargo was a smaller DT and didnt fit "our scheme". Everyone is so hung up on scheme. A football player is a football player and this guy is really good. The Tampa 2/Cover 2 is a D where every piece of the puzzle has to be perfect and Honestly most offenses have figured it out IMO. I do appreciate your input though.

For our "Scheme" most say that Peria Jerry is the best match; that he would be the better UT and that Raji would be the better NT. Time will tell. Pretty sure we won't see Raji there at our pick, and we won't settle for Jerry at #11.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure our offense was awful too I cant argue there. But our D was equally as bad and we need more than just a pash rusher though. Our LB corps is weak.

Not even close. We were 14th in the league, and we had virtually no pass rush. The offense was around 28th.

Not even close. We were 14th in the league, and we had virtually no pass rush.

The Bills also faced more than their fare share of pitiful offenses.

Jacksonville 20th

San Francisco 23rd

Kansas City 24th

St. Louis 27th

Seattle 28th

Oakland 29th

Cleveland 31st

Every interior Dlinemen has a gut. The Bills need another big presence in the middle to collapse the pocket and eat up two men. If you had two guys like Stroud and then maybe a Raji, the oline starts to run out of men to block DE and LBs. We have had way to many skinny interior lineman that are able to be blocked one on one. Big space eaters have to be accounted for by two Oline men ussualy. Either thru a 'chip' block or a straight up double team. This would make everyone on the D look a helluva a lot better.

Not even close. We were 14th in the league, and we had virtually no pass rush. The offense was around 28th.

OK not close in terms of 14th and 28th however this is a defense that has been in place for 3 years. I hope you are right about a pass rush because if not it will be a long season.

'Our Scheme'? If a guy is big and gets penetration and can also keep blockers from getting to LBs then he fits in any scheme. Thats simple football 101. Dlinemen are suppose to hold there position and tie up Oline man so Lbs can fill the gaps. Thats why Lbs typically lead every team in tackles. I think Warren Sapp was the base of the Tampa 2 D. And he had a gut and a half on him.

'Our Scheme'? If a guy is big and gets penetration and can also keep blockers from getting to LBs then he fits in any scheme. Thats simple football 101. Dlinemen are suppose to hold there position and tie up Oline man so Lbs can fill the gaps. Thats why Lbs typically lead every team in tackles. I think Warren Sapp was the base of the Tampa 2 D. And he had a gut and a half on him.

Why do so many people fail to understand the concept you just stated. Everything starts in the trenches and when your d line can win those battles its much easier for the LB's to operate. And then that trickles to the DB's. Look at Ray Lewis, Bart Scott etc... would they have been so succesful without that great Ravens Line. The answer is..probably not. Any\d I am not takin away from them, they are great LB's.

Ok so let me ask you this. Has "our scheme" been succesful? Stroud is a large guy too. And McCargo was a smaller DT and didnt fit "our scheme". Everyone is so hung up on scheme. A football player is a football player and this guy is really good. The Tampa 2/Cover 2 is a D where every piece of the puzzle has to be perfect and Honestly most offenses have figured it out IMO. I do appreciate your input though.

No, our scheme is not successful..But, will the coaches change the scheme? NO!!! So, it is more likely they'll pick Jeria Perry...

Why do so many people fail to understand the concept you just stated. Everything starts in the trenches and when your d line can win those battles its much easier for the LB's to operate. And then that trickles to the DB's. Look at Ray Lewis, Bart Scott etc... would they have been so succesful without that great Ravens Line. The answer is..probably not. Any\d I am not takin away from them, they are great LB's.

look what ngata does for that ravens line...plugging that middle would be the best thing for our d

The Bills also faced more than their fare share of pitiful offenses.

Jacksonville 20th

San Francisco 23rd

Kansas City 24th

St. Louis 27th

Seattle 28th

Oakland 29th

Cleveland 31st

This is not a good point.

Every team in the AFC West had to play, Oakland #29 and K.C #24 twice a year.

Every team in the NFC West had to play San Fran #23 , St. Louis #27 and Seattle # 28 twice a year

Every team in the NFC North had to play VIkings #17, Lions #30 and Bears #26 twice a year

AFC North has to play Ravens #18, Bengals #32 , Browns #31 and Pittsburgh #22 twice a year

AFC South has to play the Titans #21 and Jaguars #20 twice a year

Where the Bills had to play

N.E #5 , Miami #12 and Jets #16 twice a year

All the teams in our division were in the top half of offensive stats.

Your point now isn't so compelling.

Where the Bills had to play

N.E #5 , Miami #12 and Jets #16 twice a year

All the teams in our division were in the top half of offensive stats.

Your point now isn't so compelling.

What do our division opponents have to do with the fact that 7 of their out of division opponents last year sucked on offense. If you don't think that our defensive ranking is misleading because of this, you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

What do our division opponents have to do with the fact that 7 of their out of division opponents last year sucked on offense. If you don't think that our defensive ranking is misleading because of this, you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

I mean, did you really read through what I read, and if you did, did you digest it, understand the gist of it? If you don't understand the point I was making, then it's useless with you. But I will try to speak sense to you, it will be difficult, but I will try.

We play N.E ranked #5 offensively in the league twice a year. We played Miami ranked #10 offensively twice a year, We played the Jet's who were ranked #16 twice a year, throw in Denver at #2 and SanDiego at #11.

If you average out the rankings of the teams I just mentioned that gives them an average ranking of #9

that's 8 games, half the games in our schedule. are you following so far?

Then I brought up who other teams have to play, I made it very clear. The whole point of the exercise is to show you that at least half of the teams has had to play crappy offenses within their own division at least twice a year.

You see, it is all comparative. So when you just brought up those examples, of the weak offenses we played, I brought up 8 teams, which most of them had a well above ranking offensively. So it evens out.

So let's recap here. 8 teams above average , 8 teams below average.

So your point, really was pointless

No rose colored glasses, just facts

you really got to stop with this incomplete and inaccurate information you post. Yesterday you said that Peters wasn't an All Pro and you were adamant about it, now this.

After the interesting discussion I'd agree that the Bills' defensive rankings are pretty representative...14th in yards allowed and 14th in points allowed.

Back to the original post, I don't know if anyone noticed but Raji weighed in at 330 lbs at his Pro Day. He weighed 337 lbs at the combine where, by the way, he ran pretty well. His average 40 time was 5.23 seconds.

While on this subject there's a lot of people seemingly hung up on Raji's physique. It has been properly pointed out that very few interior defensive linemen have cut physiques. Part of their success at the position depends on having a lot of mass. Most of them look pretty fat. Big deal. Regardless of how he looks, he worked out very well.

For comparison look at Alabama tackle Andre Smith's recent workout. He looked fat too. But that's where the similarities end.

To quote a Seattle Seahawk blog site, "To put Smith's workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine."

In fairness to Andre Smith, he also has lost 7 pounds since the combine and his 40 yard times at his Pro Day were 5.28 and 5.33 which are not bad. But his other results were very average. For instance, Raji put up 33 bench presses. Smith managed only 19.

None of this means much of course. They're only workout numbers. But it's interesting how two players, ranked very close to each other, took two different directions during the combine.

Hopefully Andre Smith gets his act together and becomes the great football player we know he's capable of being. As for Raji, I wouldn't be too concerned about his physical appearance.

Our division opponents got some padded offensive rankings due to our porous D.

seems a bit overweight to me. He would need to slim down a bit to play in our scheme.

At first I was going to defend you. Thinking that your post was sarcastic. Then I realized you're serious. It made me want to punch my monitor in frustration.