RealFootball365 really needs to go off the main page

Beerball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderating privileges do not extend to the front page of TBD. I can thumbtack my previews and such on there by using the "top story" tag in our software, but the news feed is entirely in the hands of the Bills Beat crew. (And based on the number of times I tried -- and failed -- to get said previews posted out front before the redesign, I'm assuming my thoughts don't hold much weight with them.)

There was a time (way back when) on this site if you found a good article related to the Bills, you could expect it to be posted. I am sure many on this board have participated on that from the beginning and have watched this site grow. Most articles would be posted - including those that could be considered counter-productive to OBD marketing efforts. Now however, it appears that the site is under the direction of the bills beat/OBD marketing department and might have some monetary arrangement with RF365 which has evolved into about the same thing. Conner was a good writer with interesting articles, but now that whole site has been taken over by lawyers and marketing thugs. It is just a sign of the times to generate revenue. Bialy is okay, but should be writing about something other than football. He seems a little like Keith Oberman, who is over the top with dry humor and can be a fish out of water when trying to discuss football.

There was a time (way back when) on this site if you found a good article related to the Bills, you could expect it to be posted. I am sure many on this board have participated on that from the beginning and have watched this site grow. Most articles would be posted - including those that could be considered counter-productive to OBD marketing efforts. Now however, it appears that the site is under the direction of the bills beat/OBD marketing department and might have some monetary arrangement with RF365 which has evolved into about the same thing. Conner was a good writer with interesting articles, but now that whole site has been taken over by lawyers and marketing thugs. It is just a sign of the times to generate revenue. Bialy is okay, but should be writing about something other than football. He seems a little like Keith Oberman, who is over the top with dry humor and can be a fish out of water when trying to discuss football.

I don't really agree with this at all, but I do agree that 365 should be off of the website. Just call it what it is.....the articles are garbage because they are largely based on opinion and guesses with absolutely NO SOURCES. The guys who write for that site are no more qualified, and many times less informed than people who post on here. And they aren't comparable to Jerry Sullivan, etc, because Jerry is with a reputable daily that is connected to the Bills in a roundabout way.

My actual favorite part of TBD is the front page because I get all my Bills news on a daily basis there. Then I tread over here sometimes to get entertained. Sometimes you log on to TBD and get excited because you see a news headline that gets the blood going about the Bills, only to find out that it is a glorified blogger stating opinion based on best guesses from someone with a glorified website. They have no sources. They have no more information than anyone on this message board has, yet their headlines can make you believe something big is brewing for the Bills. Connor Byrne was the same way. It's not how good they write, but everything they say has no more value than a post on a message board, because they have no legit sources or ways to get inside info. I actually could care less if they are positive or negative.

It's absolutely garbage that this "news" source is on the front page.

There was a time (way back when) on this site if you found a good article related to the Bills, you could expect it to be posted. I am sure many on this board have participated on that from the beginning and have watched this site grow. Most articles would be posted - including those that could be considered counter-productive to OBD marketing efforts. Now however, it appears that the site is under the direction of the bills beat/OBD marketing department ...
So let me see if I understand this. The front page of the dictatorially run TBD empire is farmed out to this mysterious billsbeat group that the admins (and possibly not even the grand poohbah himself) has any control over???

Would explain why (now last season's) schedule stopped updating after the SF game and the featured video is stuck on the 11/23/08 KC-Bills recap but doesn't fit the iron fist mentality that rules the rest of the site. Something doesn't add up here.

[bTW: For the record I'm with the minority viewpoint that all media submitted articles should be linked (even the propaganda from buffalobills.com) so the viewer can choose which ones to read. This is purely from a 1st amendment POV.]

I don't really agree with this at all, but I do agree that 365 should be off of the website. Just call it what it is.....the articles are garbage because they are largely based on opinion and guesses with absolutely NO SOURCES. The guys who write for that site are no more qualified, and many times less informed than people who post on here. And they aren't comparable to Jerry Sullivan, etc, because Jerry is with a reputable daily that is connected to the Bills in a roundabout way.

My actual favorite part of TBD is the front page because I get all my Bills news on a daily basis there. Then I tread over here sometimes to get entertained. Sometimes you log on to TBD and get excited because you see a news headline that gets the blood going about the Bills, only to find out that it is a glorified blogger stating opinion based on best guesses from someone with a glorified website. They have no sources. They have no more information than anyone on this message board has, yet their headlines can make you believe something big is brewing for the Bills. Connor Byrne was the same way. It's not how good they write, but everything they say has no more value than a post on a message board, because they have no legit sources or ways to get inside info. I actually could care less if they are positive or negative.

It's absolutely garbage that this "news" source is on the front page.

Exactly. Bialy writes NO NEWS. He conducts no interviews. He simply writes his own opinion in self-indulgent prose. I wish BillsBeat would take a stand against linking to bloggers.

Bialy's constant use of awkward analogies always annoyed me, but what really sent me over the edge was this week's article about TO and the assignment of #81. All of us biased but close observers of the team saw ABSOLUTELY no signs from any players or FO staff of even the slightest bit of dissention involved in the assignment of #81, but the national media jumped on this "story" and tried to create controversy where there simply was none.

Bialy's one and only saving grace with TBD fans (or me at least) was the possibility that his sole focus on the Bills might translate into an occasional unique insight that national observers could not or would not provide. But Bialy blew that one positive by taking the #81 story in the same direction as the national media without ANY factual basis for doing so. That might have been his attempt to look "big time" by taking the cynical angle, but this choice confirms for me that I no longer need to suffer through his terrible writing in the hope that there may be an interesting insight buried within his articles.

We'll see where all these people are in May, June, July when there is just nothing, and I mean nothing, new to talk about. If you got rid of 365, TBD will mostly be blank during those months, with the occasional "Franch Riech drops a deuce" article.

Just sayin'. Maybe with TO things will be different, but I doubt it.

Exactly. Bialy writes NO NEWS. He conducts no interviews. He simply writes his own opinion in self-indulgent prose. I wish BillsBeat would take a stand against linking to bloggers.

This really sums up Bialy IMO. Because he does no interviews and has no inside information he is left with trying to create controversy out of things like TO's uniform number. His football analysis is much less thorough than some of the fine TSW writers, and maybe because of that his conclusions are often ridiculous. Self-indulgent prose is a great way of describing his writing style. In my case that is the only redeeming value of reading some of his articles in the past. I am working on a technical book in my field and after reading Bialy I learned how I definitely should not write!

This really sums up Bialy IMO. Because he does no interviews and has no inside information he is left with trying to create controversy out of things like TO's uniform number. His football analysis is much less thorough than some of the fine TSW writers, and maybe because of that his conclusions are often ridiculous. Self-indulgent prose is a great way of describing his writing style. In my case that is the only redeeming value of reading some of his articles in the past. I am working on a technical book in my field and after reading Bialy I learned how I definitely should not write!

And again yet today with the Cutler article and headline. Does he actually even know that the Bills are entertaining the thought of Cutler replacing Edwards.

Garbage again. Day after day after day.

I think we all agree that Baily is terrible and his articles have no value. So just stop clicking on his links. For one thing, TwoBillsDrive does post the source. If Bills fans stop clicking on his links, I don't think he will last very long. In my opinion, he got most of his traffic from TBD anyway.