Eagles and Peters

Well, last I heard, we (reportedly) put an offer on the table for Peters a couple weeks ago. The fact that we haven't heard anything about it since is VERY discouraging.

I want Peters here manning our LT spot. But if he's going to B word or holdout again, then you have to find a trade partner.

I say that if we haven't made a new offer to him to please him, we should do it. If he turns it down, trade him. But don't give the guy away.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he has all that talent, then he sure didn't use it last year. Facts state he gave up more sacks than any LT in the NFL-wasted talent I guess.

Facts state? No, opinions do. Lies, damn lies and pseudo-statistics.

Sacks allowed is a stat that is mostly meaningless, because unless you know the entire playbook of every team how do you assign fault. If two pass rushers both come from the left side and Peters only blocks one and the QB gets sacked does he still get blamed? Unless you know the pass blocking responsibilities as assigned in the Bills playbook how can you judge, most of the time? And even then when is it the LT's fault and when is it the QB's for holding on to the ball too long?

Whilst watching one game and in the chat room here I was able to see first hand how fans have no idea what they are talking about a lot of the time. A sack occured, the LT was at fault and Peters was proclaimed to be totally arse. Mind you, the fact he was off the field at that time receiving treatment illustrated just how observant fans can be sometimes.

Yes - Peters made some pretty noticeable mistakes, especially early in the season. But later on, once back in his groove, he played very well indeed.

He made the pro bowl based on the fasct for most of the season last year for most of the plays he owned whoever he was assigned to block. Not merely got in their way, but physically dominated. Coaches and other players saw this (and DEs experienced it) and he made the Pro bowl.

He had talent. And for most of the last season he played to that talent. So much so the Bills are in talks with his agent, looking to give him a major pay rise.

Really, hmmm.

Lets see the steelers lost, Alan Faneca.

How'd they do again this year?

After Steve Hutchinson left the Seahawks, their offense took two steps backwards. It's never been the same.

Anyone can spout one example to support an argument. Sometimes losing a premier talent really hurts a team. More depth please.

exactly. But when you have 5 holes and one player who acts like a spoiled 2 year old want 13.5 million per. And you could plug 3-4 holes with that same money, let me see what would I do??????

Plug 3 or holes possibly.

Or possibly plug none at all.

You totally missed OrangeJuiceSimpson's point ("The bottom line is that this is not an exact science. The trade might work out and it might not. There is no way of pre-determining this with a set group of rules")

And you still haven't answered why Aaron Schobel had his deal torn up with 3 years left on it after Kelsay signed his contract but the Bills wouldn't re-work Peters contract after they signed Dockery.

If I was Peters I'd be pissed off too.

You totally missed OrangeJuiceSimpson's point ("The bottom line is that this is not an exact science. The trade might work out and it might not. There is no way of pre-determining this with a set group of rules")

And you still haven't answered why Aaron Schobel had his deal torn up with 3 years left on it after Kelsay signed his contract but the Bills wouldn't re-work Peters contract after they signed Dockery.

yes I have. it's racial.

After Steve Hutchinson left the Seahawks, their offense took two steps backwards. It's never been the same.

Anyone can spout one example to support an argument. Sometimes losing a premier talent really hurts a team. More depth please.

Yeah how'd NE do after Bledsoe left.

That's two.

Players come and go. At that level there really isn't much difference in talent between a pro bowl and a decent player. Coaching, schemes, and play calling have more to do with it than the actual player. How do you think Arizona was throwing for 300+ yards every single game with a "bad LT". It's because he really isn't as people here think (take off your homer glasses), and the play calling and other players made up for it.

Stop think that Peters is worth the 13.5 million per year he is demanding. Ralph is a cheap bastard and if h pays that you won't even have the chance to try to address the other 4-5 holes we have, not including depth. We'll go with league minimums.

Get rid of Peters and he becomes a burdon on someone elses cap and we have the chance to possibly fix more holes than it would open and if an average LT can be found for even half that cost then put it on the coaches to plan for ways to win.

Here's the reality a lot of us are overlooking:

If Jason Peter's doesn't want to be here he's not going to sign a new contract or any kind of extension. If he's destined to leave then we might as well get as much as humanly possible for him if someone else is interested. Sure we could franchise him next year but what if he plays like crap again this year. Then his value has depreciated immensely.

We need to learn from what the Patriots do. Bellichek has no fear of jettisoning players if he has a solid plan that will make the team better. Bledsoe, Milloy, McGinnest, Vinateri, Vrabel, Cassell... the list goes on and on. What he is masterful at is getting maximum value for those players and drafting smart. When was the last time you remember the Pats having just 1 first round draft choice.

If we're going to lose him after this year then get everything you can for him and sign an aging veteran cap casualty.

The Bills won all their ealy games last year without Peters.

Chambers played well and hasn't reached his full potential. Demetrius Bell shows great promise, if his early showing last year is any indication.

If tradong Peters meant the Bills could finally get a shot at a franchise pass rushing DE to presure opposing QBs and/or DT to plug the middle - yeah, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

Let's hypothetically reverse the situation for a moment......

Assume Jason Peters plays for some other team.

Imagine now that the Bills have a stud (or at least above average) DE and DT who help the Bills D keep a spot as a top 10 defense in the league.

Knowing you had an adequate left OT (in Chambers or Bell), would you be willing to trade your 2 defensive standouts for Jason Peters?

Obviously, there's no guarantee that 2 defensive draft picks will become the defensive anchors or powerhouses, but on the other hand, there's no guarantee Peters won't become a thorn in the Bills' side.

I'd take the chance to upgrade the defense. In a year full of promise going into the season, the turmoil he caused last year should be reason enough to consider sending him elsewhere.

That's two.

Players come and go. At that level there really isn't much difference in talent between a pro bowl and a decent player. Coaching, schemes, and play calling have more to do with it than the actual player. How do you think Arizona was throwing for 300+ yards every single game with a "bad LT". It's because he really isn't as people here think (take off your homer glasses), and the play calling and other players made up for it.

Stop think that Peters is worth the 13.5 million per year he is demanding. Ralph is a cheap bastard and if h pays that you won't even have the chance to try to address the other 4-5 holes we have, not including depth. We'll go with league minimums.

Get rid of Peters and he becomes a burdon on someone elses cap and we have the chance to possibly fix more holes than it would open and if an average LT can be found for even half that cost then put it on the coaches to plan for ways to win.

The difference is that NE had Brady to step in, the Bills have nobody to step in at LT or LG yet. Get some adequate replacements first and then make the trade if necessary. Or get a couple of high draft picks to address the need.

The difference is that NE had Brady to step in, the Bills have nobody to step in at LT or LG yet. Get some adequate replacements first and then make the trade if necessary. Or get a couple of high draft picks to address the need.

As DML pointed out the Bills did just fine with Chambers starting.

Clayton mentioned they were interested in Jason Peters if the contract doesn't work out. He didn't say the Bills were interested or anything like that. That's kind of crazy.

isnt that tampering if our player is under contract and a team calls him out by name saying they want him?

Here's the reality a lot of us are overlooking:

If Jason Peter's doesn't want to be here he's not going to sign a new contract or any kind of extension. If he's destined to leave then we might as well get as much as humanly possible for him if someone else is interested. Sure we could franchise him next year but what if he plays like crap again this year. Then his value has depreciated immensely.

We need to learn from what the Patriots do. Bellichek has no fear of jettisoning players if he has a solid plan that will make the team better. Bledsoe, Milloy, McGinnest, Vinateri, Vrabel, Cassell... the list goes on and on. What he is masterful at is getting maximum value for those players and drafting smart. When was the last time you remember the Pats having just 1 first round draft choice.

If we're going to lose him after this year then get everything you can for him and sign an aging veteran cap casualty.

Mike - great post i agree - get some picks and build your base through the draft - go orange

That's two.

Bledsoe was never a premier quarterback and having watched him for 9 years before he came to the Bills, I was not happy with the trade that brought him to the Bills.

Listen, all I'm saying is that sometimes great players leave a team and there is a strong adverse affect. I shouldn't have to go scurrying for examples for every one that you produce. But it's ridiculous to say, for example that losing Larry Fitzgerald would not greatly affect the Cardinals.

That's the end of "afraid not, afraid so" for me.

yes I have. it's racial.

That's what you always say. But you never give a real sense of whether you believe that or whether you're just trying to stir up sh*t.

Do you really believe it might be racial?

And if so, doesn't Peters have a right to be angry?

You have a long history of Peters bashing. But from what I've seen you never address whether he's justified in feeling slighted by the Bills.

What do you really think VA?

he's not a high motor white guy