Just how bad is Buffalo nightlife?

I lived in Baltimore. There's only 50x more things to do there than Buffalo so I don't get the put down.

PTR

I spent many years in the Baltimore and DC areas - and hated it (though I've softened a bit since moving away). Baltimore, in particular, doesn't have anything more flashy than Buffalo. There's as much to do as anywhere else. It just depends on what exactly a person likes to do. But I'll take Buffalo nightlife (Elmwood strip, Allentown, etc.) over Baltimore any day.

And speaking of places like Buffalo and Baltimore, the NFL is full of them: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City, St. Louis (downtown St. Louis is DEAD at night), Indianapolis and, frankly, even Denver which I also found to be pretty dead at night. In fact downtown Denver smells of the stockyards at certain times of the night and it is definitely not a pleasant smell.

In short, I'm sick of the backwater talk. All but a handful of NFL cities are "backwaters" by most people's standards.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the whole "There is nothing to do in Buffalo" comments...

IMHO there is plenty to do, and if more people would spend as much time actually seeing what there IS to do instead complaining about how little there is to do, they would probably find out...

IMHO the problem is not that there isn't anything to do, its that sometimes it takes some research to actually see what there is to do...

when you have one of the worlds greatest attractions in your backyard(Niagara Falls) that draws millions of visitors every year, there obviously has to be SOMETHING to do...wanna see something to do? Go to Clifton Hills in the middle of the summer at about 11PM and see how long it takes you to drive around the block(upwards of an hour)....skiing, boating, rafting, hiking, ice skating, various tours you could take(navy shipyard, architecture tours---you know the one the Washington Post raved about in the front page of their Travel section), fort niagara, niagara on the lake, etc...

the list goes on...factor in that Bufalo might be the festival capital of the US in the summer with 2 of the 5 largest food festivals in the US(Taste of Buffalo and the Italian Heritage Festival---each drawing in excess of half a million people), not to mention the CanalFest and the National Chicken Wing Festival...

However, I guess it is easy to say there is nothing to do so when people come here they are actually shocked at all there is TO do...

I have never been to Buffalo but some tend to forget what is good for the goose isn't good for the gander! Currently I live in Hampton Roads, VA; I love it here! Those from NYC, ATL, DC and other live cities think it is too slow while those from rural areas think it is jumping! I lived in Newport RI for 4 years; I HATED IT! My co-workers loved it and thought that it was so live; it sounds a lot like Buffalo's night life in a smaller scale: bar-hopping! Yeah bars are fine - if you like to get drunk to rock and roll music! If you live in a town full of similar bars and you love this scene and music then you will love that town and act like how can anyone not love it? But what if you are young single black male who likes hip-hop and R&B clubs; if the area doesn't have much of a selection then you probably won't feel the area. And just because a club plays the music you like doesn't mean you will feel it if the crowd is too young. The best areas to live in are those that are multi-cultural with a selection so that you can easily change venues when you want. To those who think it may be strictly a racial thing no it is more of a cultural issue. Think about it: what if you like rock but moved to a town that was full of nothing but country clubs and you hate country music? What if you moved to a town that had nothing but hood rat and ghetto type spots? Everyone who likes those venues would love those spots and would tell you how great it is while you sit in misery wishing you could escape!

You are the one asking about nightlife, so how can you say there are 50x more things to do in Baltimore?

Perhaps he meant to say that Niagara Falls got 50X as many tourists the past year than Baltimore did?

Have you? The Sabres don't get that much attention at bars. And the Sabres are nothing more than local celebrities. When the Bills go out they get alot of attention. The Sabres, not so much.

Well we can agree to disagree - because I've seen it every time I've seen a Sabre in out in Buffalo.

Just send T.O. to Oliver Street in North Tonawanda with a roll or two of quarters, pack of parliaments, and a flask of jim beam and he'll be partying all night long. Might even end up with a not-so-high class working girl. :thumbsup:

hehehe

Tourist Numbers 2008:

Niagara Falls by itself: 28 million

Baltimore by itself: 12 million

Baltimore AND Washington DC Region combined: 22 million

PTR: 16 million people say you are wrong...

I guess the fact that Buffalo is on the 2009 Dozen Distinctive Destinations where they say Buffalo's ""staggering range of cultural resources as well as some of the country's most captivating architecture" is the reason we are on the list, as well as being on the NY Times 44 Places to Go in 2009 list(as in 44 places in the entire world, not the US)...

Other national media outlets have said:

The Washington Post called Buffalo “a hip center of arts and performances.”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution told its readers “the architecture treasures of Buffalo must be seen.”

The Chicago Sun-Times discovered that Elmwood Avenue “bustles with night spots, cafes and shops.”

Spirit Magazine said Buffalo belongs on the “short list of America’s greatest food cities.”

USA Today described the “joy” of “discovering world-class attractions in a city not known as an international tourist mecca.”

Elmwood Village was ranked #3 in Great Destinations in America

Why is it that the only people saying how crappy Buffalo is are people that live in Buffalo?

Buffalo has a nightlife, it just pales in comparison to big cities like New York and Dallas, etc.

Dallas does not have a great bar scene. I was there 4 or 5 years ago. Everything is really spread out. There strip clubs suck compared to ours across the border, although the one I went to did let you bring your own booze in which was kinda cool. As far as the Miami/NYC//New orleans/SF, these are world class cities we are talking about as far as celeb nightlife goes. Buffalo obviously can not compete with these citie's nightlifes. Neither can the other 28 other NFL cities.

I've never seen the Wire. But I will assume that any city has it's bad side. I loved Baltimore. It had many cool neighborhoods and a ton of great bars, restaurants and clubs...and let's not forget "The Block!" In fact it had the same Buffalo vibe; mostly regular folks having fun.

PTR

The places on Baltimore's harbor are pretty cool. The rest of the city sucks. Much rather live in WNY.

And how is that different than Buffalo?

I'm asking because I'm 50 and I don't go bar hopping anymore when I visit town. Clubs come and go constantly so places I remember are long gone.

But I do know that there are 3 bar districts in Buffalo: Chippawa, Allentown, and Elmwood. And they have a modest number of watering holes. Meanwhile Baltimore has more club districts and many more places to go in each. Fells Point alone is several city blocks. So I don't think I'm of base when I say Baltimore has it over Buffalo.

PTR

There were only 37 homicides in Buffalo in 2008.

I'm sure the Sabres get attention in Buffalo. You clearly still don't get what I'm saying.

Does a forward, on the second line of the Ottawa Senators get attention in Buffalo? Do nightclubs cater to them? Do music stars and film stars hob-nob with them, in the the back rooms of local clubs?

Ed Kilgore is a celebrity, in Buffalo, but he isn't Tom Cruise, or Brad Pitt. Get the difference in level there?

Back in my college years when they used to have the Pier open in the summer Kelly & all the boys would be there on saturday nights. They would all come in their own limo. Kelly, Bennett, Odomes, Smith, Tally, Tasker, reed, Thomas. Some of the hockey players would hang out with them like Mogilny. Say what you want about buffalo's nightlife but when the pier was hoppin their was some money being thrown around in that place. Being the poor college kid that I was, me & my friends used to drink a 12 pack each in the parking lot & would usually only have enough money to left to pay for the cover & by a round or two each. Looking back, not having much money in a place like that, I do not know how we did it but we always ended up bringing some girls back to our apartment from the Pier.

Buffalo does not offer the same nightlife that other big cities have. As a place for young rich superstars to party and be seen, it is as dead as can be. Who cares? These superstars are capable of doing anything they want, almost whenever they want. I wouldn't worry about it. This would be a much smaller issue if that a$$clown McGahee didn't feel the need to take a shot. Besides superstars have been known to fall in love with small markets in the past. Go to South Beach in the offseason. :thumbsup:

What a joke... South Beach in the ofseason BLOWS AWAY buffalo in the peak season... get a grip..

Back in my college years when they used to have the Pier open in the summer Kelly & all the boys would be there on saturday nights. They would all come in their own limo. Kelly, Bennett, Odomes, Smith, Tally, Tasker, reed, Thomas. Some of the hockey players would hang out with them like Mogilny. Say what you want about buffalo's nightlife but when the pier was hoppin their was some money being thrown around in that place. Being the poor college kid that I was, me & my friends used to drink a 12 pack each in the parking lot & would usually only have enough money to left to pay for the cover & by a round or two each. Looking back, not having much money in a place like that, I do not know how we did it but we always ended up bringing some girls back to our apartment from the Pier.

Another joke... the pier was fun but its gone too.. and oo BTW.. the girls you brought home were BUFFALO girls with the big noses, butts and guts... And they tawk an that uooh my gawd voice that makes me want to puke..

Another joke... the pier was fun but its gone too.. and oo BTW.. the girls you brought home were BUFFALO girls with the big noses, butts and guts... And they tawk an that uooh my gawd voice that makes me want to puke..

Hey I never said they were models. Picking up a sweat hog at the Pier when you have $3 in your pocket is still pretty impressive imo.

Ah yes, the old "There are no hot chicks in Buffalo" argument.

Yes, we are genetically inferior to the rest of the country. Makes perfect sense to me... :thumbsup:

What a joke... South Beach in the ofseason BLOWS AWAY buffalo in the peak season... get a grip..

What are you talking about? I never even came close to comparing the two. I was referring to a player's choice of going to a place like south beach during the NFL offseason. I just had the fortunate luck of spending a month there for work and it's unbelievable.