Who profits the most due to the TO signing....

Estro

James Hardy is set to have a nice payday when TO asks for his #81. Easiest $75,000 Hardy will ever make! In all seriousness does anyone know how much these star players actually pay to keep their numbers when they switch teams?

IIRC, the NFL charges a huge penalty fee for changing numbers because of all the merchandise already made with JH being #81. It may not happen at all.

You're right but there is probably more money to be made with Owens having 81.

They ran a special on the Giants punter a few years back how he made tons of money by giving away the #17......and another #. They can change #'s

Who was it on this team who sold Richard Huntley his # a few years back, then Huntley got cut in Training Camp so he just reclaimed it?

IIRC, the NFL charges a huge penalty fee for changing numbers because of all the merchandise already made with JH being #81. It may not happen at all.

Not exactly a "penalty fee," but Ocho Cinco was told he'd be responsible for buying all the No. 85 JOHNSON jerseys remaining in stock. That's when he decided to drop it.

Ya, the 4 people in the world who bought Hardy jerseys are going to be quite pissed about that one. Luckily they are all in his family. Besides, Hardy made them buy them at gunpoint.

I would have to believe T.O is on the phone tomarrow calling Hardy..from what I remember, players have till a certain date to get #'s settled so that Jerseys can be made and sold...if you think about it, rookies havent been drafted yet and free agency isnt over, so the jersey manufacturers cant be done makeing the jerseys...I'd say sometime within a month after the draft they start making the jerseys.

Ya, the 4 people in the world who bought Hardy jerseys are going to be quite pissed about that one. Luckily they are all in his family. Besides, Hardy made them buy them at gunpoint.

thats funny right there, i don't care who you are

They ran a special on the Giants punter a few years back how he made tons of money by giving away the #17......and another #. They can change #'s

Linky

NFL notes: Changing numbers often comes with a steep price tag

Keith Rivers wore No. 55 at Southern California, where the number has been passed from one prominent linebacker to another. When the Bengals made him the ninth overall pick in the draft, he had to get a new one.

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks already had 55, so Rivers got No. 58 for preseason games. When Brooks was released after the final preseason game, Rivers claimed his old number.

It came with a steep price tag: roughly $10,000.

When a player makes such a change, he has to pay for the inventory of jerseys with his old name or number. Receiver Chad Ocho Cinco ran into the problem when he legally changed his surname before the season opener. The league ruled that he had to keep "Johnson" on the back of his jersey until he takes care of the problem.

Rivers estimated that it cost him between $9,000 and $10,000 to buy up the inventory of his old No. 58 jerseys. He'll donate them to charity.

To Rivers, it was worth it.

"It was important, but I wasn't sulking because I didn't have it," Rivers said. "I'm just happy I got it. I'm not very superstitious, but guys who have had No. 55 and kept it have done well."

At USC, the number has been passed from Junior Seau to Willie McGinest to Chris Claiborne and to Rivers, who wanted to keep it in the pros.

"It's just something that's been special to me," Rivers said.