McGee to safety?

lucks

No for a few reasons.

1. As others stated, his tackling is not his strong suit, and he isn't as big as Vincent was either.

2. Who would we play opposite McKelvin at corner, hopefully not the 2008 NFL's Biggest Free Agency Bust we just signed.

McGee would be against any move to safety. He's in a contract year and CB's get paid much more than safeties. I do like the idea, though. Especially at free safety. His ball hawking skills at FS can mean a lot of int's for McGee.

McGee would be against any move to safety. He's in a contract year and CB's get paid much more than safeties. I do like the idea, though. Especially at free safety. His ball hawking skills at FS can mean a lot of int's for McGee.

Using McGee as a FS, at times, in the right circumstances, might be a decent idea, actually (for the reason you state). He'd still be a CB, of course, but could add to his pick total, if allowed to roam, once in a while.

I think MaGee would be a crappy strong safety, actually. His tackling ability is lacking.

Dean - I recall the college scout reports on McGee saying that he was more suited as a safety - free, I suppose.

The same reports were glowing about his return abilities - which always made me wonder why BUF didn't use him there from day one. IRRC it was at least a year - maybe two, until they had him return kicks.

Ah, yes, musical chairs. That's a great party game. What did Pyrite Gal call these theories? Tinker Toys?

But, yes, I can see why you'd want the smallest guy on the defense to be the core of a defense and sticking his face in there for likely 100+ tackles on the season. No chance he'd break down and your team would be fukked by losing one of its best cover guys. :lol:

I actually posted this idea several times on this board. The strange thing is, I usually detest the idea of moving players from one position to another; better to leave well-enough alone.

My main reason for wanting the move is that I've always felt McGee's skill set is more suited to free safety than cornerback, as he has more straight-line speed than change of direction skills, and he takes great angles toward the ball from the center of the field. He actually started 12 games at free safety while at NW State as well. I also don't feel that his one-on-one coverage ability is sufficient to handle the top WR threats in the division, let alone the game.

While I don't remember reading any draft reports that he would be a better fit at the position, I just watch the way he plays the ball, and it makes me think that he could be an excellent free safety, as opposed to a good corner.

I agree that tackling isn't necessarily his strong suit, but if the defense requires the free safety to be an impact tackler, there's going to be trouble.

I really do like the idea, however, good post.

Look at the stats and weep. The safeties make a ton of the tackles in the Bills defense.

Yeah I know.

I'm not so sure I stated my point very well there...my point is that the defense is in real trouble if the FS needs to be one of the top tacklers on the unit. The front 7 and--to a lesser extent--the SS should be the guys that do most of the tackling, the FS should be creating turnovers and preventing big plays.