Ross Tucker Article:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Gray was a Longhorn.

That figures... the highest pick the bills had in the longest time and frigg'n Jerry Gray the lame Defensive Coordinator is the guy that tips the decision making scales by his vast expertise on offensive tackles.

Holy crap what a circus it must have been.

Donahoe and gang would have been better off ordering Chinese food before the draft and hoping for sage advice from the fortune cookies. We could have sent a magic 8 ball to OBD and been farther ahead.

Yet we still have Modrak... hmmmm?

You think that maybe he is secretly getting paid by NE?

No such thing as a sure thing in the NFL draft. Who's to say it wasn't poor coaching that lead to Mike Williams' disinterest in playing hard every Sunday? Who's to say McKinnie would have performed nearly as well with the Bills? Its all useless speculation

Well it could be that, but given that you have a former player who played with Mike Williams and he suggests part of the way he handled criticism was due his enormous salary guarantees I think we can say its more than just "useless speculation" sure its not a 100% concrete reason why the Mike Williams failed but its not completely baseless as I think your trying to suggest.

Also I would maybe read article before you give your opinion as Tucker does not suggest the large sums of money earned are the only reasons players don't work out, he just says it can be a factor in some incidents. Clearly with Mike William thought it was an issue. Sensible article I hope you read it.

Well it could be that, but given that you have a former player who played with Mike Williams and he suggests part of the way he handled criticism was due his enormous salary guarantees I think we can say its more than just "useless speculation" sure its not a 100% concrete reason why the Mike Williams failed but its not completely baseless as I think your trying to suggest.

Also I would maybe read article before you give your opinion as Tucker does not suggest the large sums of money earned are the only reasons players don't work out, he just says it can be a factor in some incidents. Clearly with Mike William thought it was an issue. Sensible article I hope you read it.

Did you read anything here? I'm not suggesting that it was only poor coaching that made Williams' a bust. The point I was making is that you can't guarantee that McKinnie would have been a success in Buffalo rather than Minnesota and that stating that we gave up a sure thing in him and took Williams is "useless speculation"

It hurt when they took Williams, I kept thinking he was a better looking Jamie Nails - thats not saying much.

He was way too heavy to be nimble enough to play LT (375 pounds at the time he was drafted), and all he talked about was how great college was and how he missed Texas.

I thought, maybe the scouts and coaches knew something we didn't.

sigh.

He was PLENTY nimble. That wasn't the problem. The problem was all mental, as Tucker makes clear. And it's really really hard to identify guys with a bad attitude, especially if you interview them in a situation in which they are very happy. The Bills interviewed him and analyzed him when he was at Texas and as happy as a pig in mud.

And don't kid yourself. There was not one single guy on the boards saying that Williams would suck. Plenty who weren't sure, and some who wanted McKinnie instead, but Williams looked like a great pick. It's only in hindsight that Williams looks like such a stupid pick.

It hurt when they took Williams, I kept thinking he was a better looking Jamie Nails - thats not saying much.

He was way too heavy to be nimble enough to play LT (375 pounds at the time he was drafted), and all he talked about was how great college was and how he missed Texas.

I thought, maybe the scouts and coaches knew something we didn't.

sigh.

Red flags were raised for me at training camp. As you may recall pre-injury Jonas Jennings was a pretty good RT. Mike Williams was drafted to be our LT. Remember he played RT at Texas but protected Chris Simms' blindside. Well low and behold, he started at LT in camp and was quickly moved to RT. This had flop written all over it from early in training camp. Modrak and Co. should have been fired for such a huge mistake that set the franchise back years. We had no reward for our 3-13 season. :wallbash:

He was PLENTY nimble. That wasn't the problem. The problem was all mental, as Tucker makes clear. And it's really really hard to identify guys with a bad attitude, especially if you interview them in a situation in which they are very happy. The Bills interviewed him and analyzed him when he was at Texas and as happy as a pig in mud.

And don't kid yourself. There was not one single guy on the boards saying that Williams would suck. Plenty who weren't sure, and some who wanted McKinnie instead, but Williams looked like a great pick. It's only in hindsight that Williams looks like such a stupid pick.

soryy - not true

many cited the pick as ill advised at the time.

you never draft a RT at #4 when a LT is also there - especially when FAt Mike was known to have motivation and weight problems.

RT does not support the huge salary of the #4 pick.

TD hated McKinnie. He was badmouthing him before the draft. It was kinda weird.

It was one of the most depressing times to be a Bills fan. I was living in Miami that year, and McKinnie hadn't given up a sack in either High School or at the University of Miami. All I could think about was "Well, if the Bills suck hopefully they will have a chance at this guy."

It was so weird because Done-a-ho was saying that McKinnie had an attitude problem because he was too arrogant. I know that he hasn't been Jonathan Ogdan, but he is definitely a starting left tackle in this league.

I will never complain about Whitner since he is a starter in the league, and he is no Williams nor Flowers.

Did you read anything here? I'm not suggesting that it was only poor coaching that made Williams' a bust. The point I was making is that you can't guarantee that McKinnie would have been a success in Buffalo rather than Minnesota and that stating that we gave up a sure thing in him and took Williams is "useless speculation"

My bad I thought you were saying all Ross Tucker's take on the situation was useless speculation.

Plenty nimble?

I had a hard time believing that even when our old coaching staff was trying to feed that to us after the draft, I doubt that you are going to change my mind now. He played like he was glued to the ground, guys blew right by him. He was so slow they shifted him to right tackle and even there his fragile ankles and knees could not support his egotistical 400 poundness.

I was on the board and I wanted McKinnie. I thought that Mike was too slow and heavy to play Left Tackle, I did think that the Front Office at OBD was finally trying to take care of our abysmal offensive line that victomized one Buffalo QB after another, and I was glad that Mouse was hired to try to mold the bums into some semblance of a wall against opposing rushers, but I was not happy with the Mike Williams pick.

soryy - not true

many cited the pick as ill advised at the time.

you never draft a RT at #4 when a LT is also there - especially when FAt Mike was known to have motivation and weight problems.

RT does not support the huge salary of the #4 pick.

He was drafted to be our LT, not our RT. As noted above, he started camp at LT and was quickly moved and it was indeed a danger signal.

And Williams was huge, but had very quick feet. He was NOT FAT at 375. He could move. He just didn't want to.

Plenty nimble?

I had a hard time believing that even when our old coaching staff was trying to feed that to us after the draft, I doubt that you are going to change my mind now. He played like he was glued to the ground, guys blew right by him. He was so slow they shifted him to right tackle and even there his fragile ankles and knees could not support his egotistical 400 poundness.

I was on the board and I wanted McKinnie. I thought that Mike was too slow and heavy to play Left Tackle, I did think that the Front Office at OBD was finally trying to take care of our abysmal offensive line that victomized one Buffalo QB after another, and I was glad that Mouse was hired to try to mold the bums into some semblance of a wall against opposing rushers, but I was not happy with the Mike Williams pick.

There is no such thing as unanimity on a board of thousands of people, but there was huge overall support for the pick and a consensus by just about every draft guy that Williams would be a very fine LT in the league. Yes, some folks like yourself (and me too before the draft) preferred McKinnie, but support for the Williams pick was huge. It looked like a great pickup.

The attitude problem stuff all came later. His whole "attitude problem" before the draft was that he was funny. And that was not the problem that drove him out of the league.

He was drafted to be our LT, not our RT. As noted above, he started camp at LT and was quickly moved and it was indeed a danger signal.

And Williams was huge, but had very quick feet. He was NOT FAT at 375. He could move. He just didn't want to.

well that was the arrogance of TD-

Fat Mike never played LT in his life - yet we spend the 4th in the draft on a project when a bona fide stud was still on the board.

Fat Mike never played a down at LT for the Bills

he was always a slow RT

The Bills tried to justify the pick by claiming he would play LT- but only lip service