Ross Tucker Article:

I once played with a top five pick who didn't really like football, who did whatever he pleased around the facility, practiced more or less how and when he felt like it, and pretty much never played when he had any type of injury. Nobody respected how he handled his business, but they were also aware that he was in a different situation. Guys knew he could do whatever he wanted and they resented him for it. It hurt team chemistry. Everyone in the building knew there was a problem, but there was nothing that could really be done about it because of the amount of money guaranteed and the salary cap implications.

SI: Tuck's Take

Decent article on the mindset of NFL players when they get a big guaranteed contract.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Donahoe had taken McKinnie, would the Bills have made hte playoffs in the last seven years?

I don't think one player made the entire organization collapse...even under his immense weight. It was a collaborative effort

Decent article on the mindset of NFL players when they get a big guaranteed contract.

I am really getting to like Tucker's articles. This is the kind of stuff only ex-players can really hit on.

Oh yeah, F 'Big" Mike Williams.

I don't think one player made the entire organization collapse...even under his immense weight. It was a collaborative effort

You could make a decent case we might have made it in 2004 with Bledsoe had we had McKinnie on our line. Everyone knows Bledoe's woes were he was a statue. Our o-line in 2004 was a disaster, yet somehow managed a 9-7 record and barely missing the playoffs. A top-5 or 10 tackle (which McKinnie is) could have made that small difference.

You could make a decent case we might have made it in 2004 with Bledsoe had we had McKinnie on our line. Everyone knows Bledoe's woes were he was a statue. Our o-line in 2004 was a disaster, yet somehow managed a 9-7 record and barely missing the playoffs. A top-5 or 10 tackle (which McKinnie is) could have made that small difference.

Yeah, but using the same logic, a catch here and a broken tackle there could have made all the difference as well.

It hurt when they took Williams, I kept thinking he was a better looking Jamie Nails - thats not saying much.

He was way too heavy to be nimble enough to play LT (375 pounds at the time he was drafted), and all he talked about was how great college was and how he missed Texas.

I thought, maybe the scouts and coaches knew something we didn't.

sigh.

Yeah, but using the same logic, a catch here and a broken tackle there could have made all the difference as well.

Could have, sure, for a discussion about if we could have gotten an extra catch or tackle. We were specifically discussing the difference between getting a Pro Bowl tackle and one of the worst draft picks in NFL history, which is a bit easier to quantify.

Could have, sure, for a discussion about if we could have gotten an extra catch or tackle. We were specifically discussing the difference between getting a Pro Bowl tackle and one of the worst draft picks in NFL history, which is a bit easier to quantify.

No such thing as a sure thing in the NFL draft. Who's to say it wasn't poor coaching that lead to Mike Williams' disinterest in playing hard every Sunday? Who's to say McKinnie would have performed nearly as well with the Bills? Its all useless speculation