Why Coles? Becuase the Bills can't draft WR's

VJ91

Eddie Royal was taken in the second round last year with the very next pick by the Chiefs after James Hardy. You know how that rookie WR did? How's 91 catches for 980 YDS & 5 TD's grab you? The Bills could have drafted him instead of Hardy, but then again, the Bills needed that elusive "tall" wideout for the red zone, right?

I guess we should thank Tom Donahoe of all people, for drafting Josh Reed, Lee Evans and Roscoe. Since then, the Bills have not been able to find a pass catcher out of college who could remember what foot goes in front of the other, much less a potential Pro Bowler.

On the other hand, it looks like the circle jerks may have lucked onto their version of Donahoe's Jason Peters' undrafted rookie free agency signing, with 7th round pick Stevie Johnson from last year's draft. If the kid can pick up where he left off, he could be a great story.

Eddie Royal was taken in the second round last year with the very next pick by the Chiefs after James Hardy. You know how that rookie WR did? How's 91 catches for 980 YDS & 5 TD's grab you? The Bills could have drafted him instead of Hardy, but then again, the Bills needed that elusive "tall" wideout for the red zone, right?

I guess we should thank Tom Donahoe of all people, for drafting Josh Reed, Lee Evans and Roscoe. Since then, the Bills have not been able to find a pass catcher out of college who could remember what foot goes in front of the other, much less a potential Pro Bowler.

On the other hand, it looks like the circle jerks may have lucked onto their version of Donahoe's Jason Peters' undrafted rookie free agency signing, with 7th round pick Stevie Johnson from last year's draft. If the kid can pick up where he left off, he could be a great story.

Broncos drafted Royal. Bills didn't want another Royal after finding out how lousy his cousin Robert was

They can't draft much of anything, besides a CB here and there.

There isn't an area on this team that is much improved (from a personnel and financial standpoint) than when Donahoe exited.

One could argue the RB's are better, but this is the easiest area of the team to improve. Aside from that it's been a treadmill. Buffalo is still banking on under the radar UFA's to improve the team, which is strangely similar to their method after 05.

The broncos quick hitting running attack and playaction game, and the vertical deep passing threat of their tall , fast receivers and strong armed quarterback enabled royal to get the ball underneath in space. They could have used Roscoe Parish to devastating effect.

Much like we were very successful with Peerless Price when we had Bledsoe, Moulds, Campbell running seam patterns and a successful running game.

The broncos quick hitting running attack and playaction game, and the vertical deep passing threat of their tall , fast receivers and strong armed quarterback enabled royal to get the ball underneath in space. They could have used Roscoe Parish to devastating effect.

Much like we were very successful with Peerless Price when we had Bledsoe, Moulds, Campbell running seam patterns and a successful running game.

You make an excellent point. Turk threw the O-Line under the bus recently whining about Trent not having the time to get the ball down the field. Hardy was healthy until December, Parrish was available, and Evans was healthy all year. It seems to me that Edwards should have been able to get the ball out underneath to Parrish or Hardy when he played a lot more then he did. Schemes, coaching and as always, poor O-line play may have had more to do with the Bills' anemic passing attack then not drafting Royal over Hardy.

Name the last time NE played a WR they drafted. Troy Brown? It isn't as easy as you think. Every team has bust WR's. NE had Chad Jackson. Denver had Ashley Lelie. Detroit had Charles Rogers AND Mike Williams. NYG has (had?) Sinorice Moss. Arizona had Bryant Johnson (ha). The Jaguars had Reggie Williams AND Matt Jones. It happens to everybody.

HUH? Eddie royal was the number 2 receiver, Brand Marshal number 1 6'4, Eddie royal # 2 5'10 and Brandon stokely number 3 5'11. wheres all the heght and whats it got to do with the kids ability to catch the ball.

I would have rather had Eddie Royal wha can catch and return kicks then the over paid Parrish and don say uunderutilized hes no wes welker and much to his dismay he never will be a receiver above 4 on any team.

Eddie Royal was taken in the second round last year with the very next pick by the Chiefs after James Hardy. You know how that rookie WR did? How's 91 catches for 980 YDS & 5 TD's grab you? The Bills could have drafted him instead of Hardy, but then again, the Bills needed that elusive "tall" wideout for the red zone, right?...

I love these classic 20/20 hindsight posts. Taking nothing away from Eddie Royal, he had a GREAT year, no doubt, but I'd be interested in any links to any posts you made prior to draft day suggesting the Bills would be better off taking Royal over Hardy.

GO BILLS!!!

I wasn't aware that every 2nd round pick was supposed to make a huge impact their first year in the league. I still have a ton of faith in Hardy, and obviously love Stevie J's potential. Hardy though is very raw, and needs to learn to play to his size in the nfl. I remember in the game against STL he had about 3-4 balls thrown to him, and had he been able to adjust properly to the ball he woulda made each catch. This guy WAS the Indiana Hoosier offense. Their was no one else on that team that was a threat, and he still dominated against a conference that always has great secondary players.

Give Hardy time. I'm against Coles because it does absolutely nothing for the Bills future. He is 31 and is already breaking down. He had problems with Favre as his QB last year how do you think he is going to be with Trent as he continues to develop? Bring in Nate Washington if you're gona bring in a reciever.

The Bills started off right by getting their future of the offense and defense 2 years ago with Poz and Lynch, that philosophy needs to continue, especially at WR.

Please...come on now, talk about over simplifying this. Lee Evans in Denver last year would have easily put up 1500+ yards and 15 TD's...did he do that in Buffalo? No, because of our inept passing attack. Royal played with a QB who passed for over 4500 yards and got a chance to start opposite a big WR needing double teams constantly and along side a big time recieving threat at TE. If Royal would have been in Buffalo, I doubt he does even 1/3 as well in terms of production. Trent Edwards and JP Losman QB combination last year was not even remotely close to Cutler's performance...

If we took Royal last year, you would be on here complaining about how we draft WR's still right now at this very moment. You would be screaming about how we always draft midget WR's and we still need a big compliment next to Evans, because there is no chance in hell that Royal would have had the same impact here as he got in Denver...

Actually the Bills' track record for drafting WRs this past decade hasn't been all that bad. Let's see (just looking back at Day 1 draft picks)...

Peerless was a 2nd round draft pick in 1999. I would have to say that that worked out pretty well, especially since he netted us a 1st round pick in 2003.

Josh Reed was a 2nd rounder in 2002. He's certainly not a world-beater, but a worthy second round draft pick I would say.

Lee Evans was a 1st rounder in 2004. Certainly no complaints here.

Roscoe was a 2nd rounder in 2005. I can't call the pick a bad one, since he has reaped such positive dividends as a punt returner. He has, however, been a failure as a receiver.

James Hardy was a 2nd rounder in 2008. The verdict is still out on him obviously. I guess there are those of you that want to look into your crystal ball and call him a bust. That's fine, by your standards, Eric Moulds was also a bust heading into 1997 (or 1998 for that matter).

All in all, I think the front office has done a pretty good job of drafting receivers. Now, maybe an argument can be made that they haven't drafted ENOUGH receivers. But the ones they have drafted have been pretty decent. I think the coaching carousel and instability at QB has been the bigger culprit.