Why Coles? What about Hardy?

LGB

If the Bills were to sign Coles, how much money would be tied up at WR when there are more pressing needs at DE, OL?!? Wasn't Hardy suppose to be the WR help Evans needed? Josh Reed (5' 10") had a pretty good year and if Hardy (6' 5") and Johnson (6' 2") develop, why would the Bills pay big dollars for the 5' 11" Coles?

But then again, look how much money the Bills have thrown at Kelsey and have received nothing in return. He has got to be the highest paid and least productive player on the Bill's squad. So is it any wonder that this staff is forever destined to be 7-9 with sack superstars like Kelsey, Denney and McCargo?

You might want to judge WR' s by the number of passes they catch and for how many yards and TD's

Height is a factor but it's just one dimension.

Why does everyone act like Hardys ACL means zero production in 2009. Seems I remember Rod woodson tearing his ACL in the opener and playing in the SB in the same season. Seems the Patriots arent writing off Bradys next season. Do I think Hardy will light it up...no but I do think he can contribute significantly especially in the 2nd half of the season.

The offense averaged about 18 ppg last year. The price for Coles may have been high, but the frustration from losing because the offense had issues scoring will be much worse.

Who exactly is going to explode and diversify the passing game?

Either way, Edwards is being set up for failure. A QB coach who highlights his association with Bill Walsh in every conversation, a HC with a 57-76 career record, issues on the OL, and one receiver to go along with several #3 and #4 type receivers.

Well, at least the Bills didn't overpay.

I like Johnson a lot. I'm not sold on Hardy, but it's way to early to write him off. Cinci overpaid for Coles; I'm glad we didn't. Let's offer a 6th round pick for Torry Holt conditional on re-working his contract to a three-year deal worth UNDER $20M.

Why does everyone act like Hardys ACL means zero production in 2009. Seems I remember Rod woodson tearing his ACL in the opener and playing in the SB in the same season. Seems the Patriots arent writing off Bradys next season. Do I think Hardy will light it up...no but I do think he can contribute significantly especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Because it's a significant factor, that's why. Not all ACL tears are created equal and, perhaps more importantly, not every player has the same level of commitment to the excrutiating (and that's an understatement) rehab. The Bills need to hedge their bets and get some insurance at the position because there is AT LEAST a 50/50 chance he won't be able to contribute much. Especially becasue he suffered the injury late in the season (vs. the opener) so automatically his rehab time extends well into training camp. Additionally, it usually takes upwards of two years before full recovery is realized in that type of injury. Now ad to that the demands that the position places on a receiver (vs. a QB like Brady who doesn't rely on mobility anyway) and you can see why there is concern among the faithful that he's less than even odds to contribute in any conceivable way.

Hope I'm wrong but history suggests otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, at least the Bills didn't overpay.

I'm amazed that fans believe it's a benefit to save money when there's upward of 20M left in cap space. Will this be highlighted IF the team struggles in 2009? I highly doubt it.

Most fans forget that the first LB off the bench in 08 was Keith Ellison, as he was in 07 and 06. It's looking increasingly likely that he'll fill that role again. So there's savings there, but it doesn't translate onto the field of play. Depth on the OL, depth at TE, etc, is the casualty of not using the cap space.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Buffalo has made Edwards the starter and needs excellent play from him this year for any hope to make the playoffs. At the same time, outside of Evans there is no one in the passing game to keep defenses honest. Reed, Parrish, St. Johnson, Hardy, and Jenkins are not dependable complementary receivers. Not yet at least, although Reed could play the slot quite well, but remains only a short yardage type and out of position as a #2.

The TE's consist of Fine, Schouman, and Stupar who have a combined 4 years of NFL experience. With injury time, it's much less.

Lynch and Jackson are fine out of the backfield, but depending on RB's in the passing game without a decent WR corps is tantamount to planning failure.

I'm not saying Coles will mean Edwards throws for 4000 yards and 30 TD's, but leaving him with those options is setting him up for failure.

Drafting a WR last year with raw speed, questionable hands, and little ability to run a NFL route tree was laughable. It looks like nothing has changed. Hardy not only must overcome his injury, but learn to do the things he couldn't do last season. Doing it while rehabbing isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I have a sinking feeling that the Bills think Hardy is probably going to be a bust. Just a hunch.

I have a sinking feeling that the Bills think Hardy is probably going to be a bust. Just a hunch.

I don't think anyone expects a rookie to grab 50 passes for 800 yards. But that showing last year was horrible for any rookie WR. 9 catches for 87 yards and 2 TD's. I understand the Bills wanted to bring him along slowly, but that's not a good sign when a 7th rounder surpasses him on the depth chart. The injury obviously will make him hurry to catch up.

It's surprising that he was their answer to addressing the WR position opposite Evans. Entrusting a rookie to produce from the outset is mindless. And that's something the Bills have done for many years now.

I don't think anyone expects a rookie to grab 50 passes for 800 yards. But that showing last year was horrible for any rookie WR. 9 catches for 87 yards and 2 TD's. I understand the Bills wanted to bring him along slowly, but that's not a good sign when a 7th rounder surpasses him on the depth chart. The injury obviously will make him hurry to catch up.

It's surprising that he was their answer to addressing the WR position opposite Evans. Entrusting a rookie to produce from the outset is mindless. And that's something the Bills have done for many years now.

The worst part about those 9 catches and 87 yards is that he didn't look good doing it.

Do I think Hardy will light it up...no but I do think he can contribute significantly especially in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm interested to know, what part of Hardy's play, up until the injury, makes you say that? He was for all practical purposes, a non factor, ran less than average routes and routinely droped catchable balls.