Tim If You're Around Have You Heard Anything.

Too put a QUICK END TO THIS ARGUMENT, who has been to the playoffs more in the last 9 years?

Who cares if they squeak in. Making the playoffs as a wild card and getting knocked out in the first round is not much better if at all than what is happening now.

Not to be a jerk Steely, cuz you are one of my favorites around here, but list for me, in your opinion, the best 5 free agent signings the Bills have made since 2001. I am willing to bet, the list won't be all that impressive. Off the top of my head, I am coming up with London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams... all former Bills, still in the NFL, all from the Tom Donohoe regime.

You're not being a jerk anyone can pose any question they want. I'm not counting the Donahoe era but since Donahoe has left I like: Kawika Mitchell, Langston Walker, Fred Jackson, Spencer Johnson is a solid backup and so is Jason Whittle and I'm gonna count Marcus Stroud in here too.

YAY! Let's go get somehow that Bill Parcells does not want, when he needs a WR and this one is his QB's best buddy and WR from the past.

Sounds BRILLIANT on Buffalo's part!

That makes me think twice too. I wonder why they don't want him even though Pennington is on the team. It does seem strange.

For me making the playoffs means you had success within your division. I don't know what it means to you? Winning the game is a whole other element. I want a chance to go to A PLAYOFF GAME.

I agree it would be nice to make the playoffs now and again but a constant first round exit would almost be more frustrating.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not being a jerk anyone can pose any question they want. I'm not counting the Donahoe era but since Donahoe has left I like: Kawika Mitchell, Langston Walker, Fred Jackson, Spencer Johnson is a solid backup and so is Jason Whittle and I'm gonna count Marcus Stroud in here too.

What, no Dockery in there?

I'm not going to respond to this more than once because you don't make any sense, but I don't think Washington has won their division in like ten years, making the playoffs as a wildcard team occassionally. And I can think of many, many teams who have success year in and year out and don't spend money like a teenager at the mall every off-season (NE, Indy, Denver, SD, NYG, Pitt to name just a few).

They may not spend money at the mall, but theydont't spend money at home on their own Free Agents: Pat Williams, Fletcher, Winfield, Clements, Greer etc.

They may not spend money at the mall, but theydont't spend money at home on their own Free Agents: Pat Williams, Fletcher, Winfield, Clements, Greer etc.

The jury is still out on Greer, since he hasn't left yet and the rest of those guys were all let go by the previous regime. I think if anything this FO has been characterized by re-signing the marginal talent left to them by the previous regime. In some cases it worked out (see Reed, Butler, Evans), in others it didn't (see Kelsey, Price). I think that if the FO has the chance to stay together for more than the first half of this year (meaning the team actually wins games consistently this year) that they would go ahead and re-sign most of their draft picks as a priority. FOs like to re-sign guys that they drafted or acquired, which only happens when you have a FO together for more than three years generally.

On a side note, looking at that list of players let go by TD, you have to wonder how much better the team would have been this decade if they had just re-signed Winfield and Williams. Probably could have traded Clements instead of franchising him and letting him walk a year later.

probably

we give up multiple picks for a 32 year old guy on the down side of his career AND

pay him more going forward than what we were to pay Dockery

just spend some picks on some young, healthy OL with upside who will come much cheaper

Why would the Bills want to do something like that?

It would put Linda Bogdan (Ralph's daughter / chief OL scout) on a serious hot seat.

No dice.

:oops:

Are you kidding me? Clements wasn't worth $80M over 8 years, that's known league-wide. My only gripe is that they didn't get a first day pick as compensation. Winfield was a 5'8" CB who couldn't cover the league's (and the division's) bigger WR's. Had a lot of heart, but Minnesota gave him a huge deal, more than he's worth. Fletcher could have gone either way - I liked him, but he was getting up there, and I'd rather see a guy like Poz develop with the rest of this young squad than have a "Weekend at Bernie's" type aging MLB like Fletcher. I really like Greer but he is overrated. He had two picks last year and played in a zone scheme. Remember when the Saints paid all that money for Jason David from Indy to play man? That didn't work out so well. The only name on your list I regret letting go (and who I didn't want to let go in the first place) is Pat Williams. We should have matched Minnesota's offer. Him next to Sammy Adams was a force.

I don't understand how you can say that the Vikings overpaid for Antoine Winfield. He's played great the past few seasons and if anything the conclusion I would come to is he has outplayed his contract.

Also, yes the 49ers overpaid for Nate Clements, but did the Bills ever offer Nate a contract prior to his final season? Part of retaining your best players is recognizing their ability early on and perhaps re-upping their contract with a couple years left.

The same argument can be made with Greer. The guy has done nothing but prove everybody wrong his entire NFL career. Had the Bills recognized his ability a season or two ago they probably would have been able to resign him to a much more reasonable contract. It seems the bills philosophy is not to pay anybody until they see them perform well for a few seasons. The main problem being by that time the player is nearly a FA and other teams are willing to pay him what he's worth. The Bills come in last minute, offer a contract less than what the player thinks they're worth, and the player ends up bolting.

The jury is still out on Greer, since he hasn't left yet and the rest of those guys were all let go by the previous regime. I think if anything this FO has been characterized by re-signing the marginal talent left to them by the previous regime. In some cases it worked out (see Reed, Butler, Evans), in others it didn't (see Kelsey, Price). I think that if the FO has the chance to stay together for more than the first half of this year (meaning the team actually wins games consistently this year) that they would go ahead and re-sign most of their draft picks as a priority. FOs like to re-sign guys that they drafted or acquired, which only happens when you have a FO together for more than three years generally.

On a side note, looking at that list of players let go by TD, you have to wonder how much better the team would have been this decade if they had just re-signed Winfield and Williams. Probably could have traded Clements instead of franchising him and letting him walk a year later.

if the clown show had realized Greer could play, they could have signed him last year and not wasted another 1st round pick on a nother CB. They could have drafted a stud lineman like Albert or Clady- who could have taken Dockery's slot this year.