Hangartner

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/pr...ry/1168746.html

Reading this I almost got the impression that the Panthers were sad to see a friend leave, but not so much the football player.

Gross is like - Yeah, because I made bank we had to cut him lose, but what are ya gonna do?

And the comment about needing two players to replace him as he was a center, guard....and kick returner?

I kept thinking I was reading satire.

Reading this I almost got the impression that the Panthers were sad to see a friend leave, but not so much the football player.

Gross is like - Yeah, because I made bank we had to cut him lose, but what are ya gonna do?

And the comment about needing two players to replace him as he was a center, guard....and kick returner?

Really, I did not get that impression at all. The exchange with Delhomme said to me they were close because Hangartner came in and protected Delhomme's ass. Between that, and the guy's clear intelligence, he seems like an excellent pick up for a center. Perhaps with him making the line calls, and an upgrade on the line overall(still needing a LG of course), we will see significant improvement. But it is funny how people read the same thing and have totally different takes.

It's good to see in the Sporting News war Room he is not listed as one of the top 99 free agents available. At least we can't be disappointed when he is average.

at least he's smart

good chance the OL will be in the right line call when he gets bull rushed into Trent's lap.

the guy is not built to handle the 350 lb nose tackles - he is tall at 6'5" and only weighs 300 lbs.

the Bills still need to draft some bona fide OL with their premium picks.

new name - but expect the same results as last year.

Fowler was a sharp guy - but was not big enough or strong enough to play C in today's NFL

The bottom line is if the guy was a stud, he would still be in Carolina

Really, I did not get that impression at all. The exchange with Delhomme said to me they were close because Hangartner came in and protected Delhomme's ass.

Agreed, especially considering what Gross said:

"The thing about Geoff, when we go to replace him, you’re going to need at least two guys. He’s a center, a guard, the backup long snapper, a kicker returner, not just anybody can do all the things he’s done here."

good chance the OL will be in the right line call when he gets bull rushed into Trent's lap.

the guy is not built to handle the 350 lb nose tackles - he is tall at 6'5" and only weighs 300 lbs.

He said he played last year at 315, which is pretty good from what I can see. Two of the guys a lot of posters were clamoring for - Birk and Saturday - are listed at 6-4, 309 and 6-2, 295, respectively.

The good news is that given the John Guy track record he'll be back in Carolina in a year or two anyway. :thumbdown:

The good news is that given the John Guy track record he'll be back in Carolina in a year or two anyway. :thumbdown:

Well, if he's back in Carolina, and performing, maybe Guy isn't the problem.

at least he's smart

Fowler was a sharp guy - but was not big enough or strong enough to play C in today's NFL

Fowler was smart too, was a great chess player and his parents went to every game. I don't want smart, I want a guy that will plow over a nose tackle and go after their parents right after.

So being smart and being a viscious player on the field are mutually exclusive?

If they are, you want "smart", in a center. But, of course, they are not. However, "smart" and "really mauling" are only together in a select few centers...there just aren't many of those guys around.

He's experienced in dealing with strong nose tackles...he faced off against Kris Jenkins in practice every day for a few years...shouldn't be an issue

boy I'm impressed

he knows how to get abused by a good nose tackle :rolleyes:

well that brings him up to speed with our C play from last year.

at least he's smart

By the way, there are very few big, strong, anchor type of centers. The vast majority of centers are the "technicians who understand leverage and blocking angles."

Duke Preston (6'5" 326) ironically was the heaviest starting center in the league last year.

Geoff Hangarten is 6'5" 315.

Jeff Saturday (6'2" 295) is considered a finesse center.

Birk is said to anchor well although he's listed at 6'4" and 309 pounds.

Here's the heights and weights of the 2009 Pro Bowl Centers:

Andrew Gurode 6'4" 318

Shawn O'Hara 6'3" 303

Kevin Mawae 6'4" 289

Nick Mangold 6'4" 300

Casey Weigman 6'2" 285

As you can see, only one of them is heavier than Hangarten (by 3 pounds).

People get all hung up on heights and weights but really the only question that counts is "can a guy play football?"

Furthermore, centers tend to be the smallest of offensive linemen.

Really, I did not get that impression at all. The exchange with Delhomme said to me they were close because Hangartner came in and protected Delhomme's ass. Between that, and the guy's clear intelligence, he seems like an excellent pick up for a center. Perhaps with him making the line calls, and an upgrade on the line overall(still needing a LG of course), we will see significant improvement. But it is funny how people read the same thing and have totally different takes.

But is he an avid chess player like Marvin Fowler? Having intellect clearly means he's a good center. And explains why there are plenty of MIT nerds playing in the NFL. :rolleyes:

By the way, there are very few big, strong, anchor type of centers. The vast majority of centers are the "technicians who understand leverage and blocking angles."

Duke Preston (6'5" 326) ironically was the heaviest starting center in the league last year.

Geoff Hangarten is 6'5" 315.

Jeff Saturday (6'2" 295) is considered a finesse center.

Birk is said to anchor well although he's listed at 6'4" and 309 pounds.

Here's the heights and weights of the 2009 Pro Bowl Centers:

Andrew Gurode 6'4" 318

Shawn O'Hara 6'3" 303

Kevin Mawae 6'4" 289

Nick Mangold 6'4" 300

Casey Weigman 6'2" 285

As you can see, only one of them is heavier than Hangarten (by 3 pounds).

People get all hung up on heights and weights but really the only question that counts is "can a guy play football?"

Furthermore, centers tend to be the smallest of offensive linemen.

well- Carolina did not think so since they drafted Kalil to play C and let Hangman go when his contract expired.

spare me all the crap about cap problems

If he was a stud, they find a way to keep him.

he was just a backup on a contender - but will be considered a svaior with a non-playoff team

spare me all the crap about cap problems

If he was a stud, they find a way to keep him.

That's some pretty interesting logic, you got there. So, no FA players are worth anything. If they were, there teams would have found a way to keep them.