Hangartner

But is he an avid chess player like Marvin Fowler? Having intellect clearly means he's a good center. And explains why there are plenty of MIT nerds playing in the NFL. :wallbash:

Or hanging out at TSW, apparently.....

He sounds like a Kent Hull type to me.

That's some pretty interesting logic, you got there. So, no FA players are worth anything. If they were, there teams would have found a way to keep them.

For the most part, you are correct.

Well run teams, which the Bills are not, keep their good players. There are high end players who hit free agency because their perceived value exceeds the team's valuation. The Bills have let several of these players go - but will not pursue these players.

Many middle of the road backups, like Hangman, become available because they are not good enough for the current team.

It's great, Hangman will be better for the Bills than our current rostered C, but he was deemed by a well run team to be expendable, even for the modest amount it would take to sign him. After watching him block Kris Jenkins, they determined he was not their long term answer, so they drafted a better C and let him go as a free agent. They felt 2nd and 3rd year draft picks had more upside.

Hangman fits great in Buffalo, because they have not had quality C play in 15 years so this guy will look like a big improvement. However, it does not mean he is good enough to provide quality C play against the big nose tackles in the AFC East.

just because the Bills gave him a big contract suitable for a very good player does not make him one.

It's just Dockery part 2.

.....just because the Bills gave him a big contract suitable for a very good player does not make him one.

It's just Dockery part 2.

....but it doesn't make him not one either.

Unless I've missed something, we do not know what sort of contract Hangartner was given.

You've assumed he has a big contract......and assumed he is intended to be the saviour......and assumed that he will never be anything more than serviceable.

What makes you think we paid DD type money(either Bills contract $7mil/year or Skins new contract $5mil/year) on Hangartner?

Or hanging out at TSW, apparently.....

He sounds like a Kent Hull type to me.

Oh God, if he is I'll dance during every Bills game! :thumbsup:

....but it doesn't make him not one either.

Unless I've missed something, we do not know what sort of contract Hangartner was given.

You've assumed he has a big contract......and assumed he is intended to be the saviour......and assumed that he will never be anything more than serviceable.

What makes you think we paid DD type money(either Bills contract $7mil/year or Skins new contract $5mil/year) on Hangartner?

Dibs, why do you keep interjecting common sense to these threads! :D

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/pr...ry/1168746.html

Reading this I almost got the impression that the Panthers were sad to see a friend leave, but not so much the football player.

Gross is like - Yeah, because I made bank we had to cut him lose, but what are ya gonna do?

And the comment about needing two players to replace him as he was a center, guard....and kick returner?

I kept thinking I was reading satire.

Actually, it is a terrific article that, while overdone perhaps, brings up some good points. Hangarner played at a reasonably high level at two spots, and is a versatile lineman. Just because he couldn't break the Titan's starting lineup, doesn't mean he isn't a quality player.

But, I do have a question about this quote:

“But at the same time, we need a guy like that around. The thing about Geoff, when we go to replace him, you’re going to need at least two guys. He’s a center, a guard, the backup long snapper, a kicker returner, not just anybody can do all the things he’s done here.”

A "kicker returner"?

A "kicker returner"?

Those little kickers get tired out after kicking off and running down the field covering it, so they need someone to return them to their spot on the sidelines.

Actually, it is a terrific article that, while overdone perhaps, brings up some good points. Hangarner played at a reasonably high level at two spots, and is a versatile lineman. Just because he couldn't break the Titan's starting lineup, doesn't mean he isn't a quality player.

But, I do have a question about this quote:

A "kicker returner"?

I wondered about that too! :thumbsup: